Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Respect & Dignity

Assalamu alaikum

We are often warned about boasting, and that we should have humility and modesty.

This can be taken to the extreme. Not introducing oneself, feeling shy to correct evils, listening to others complaining without helping even though one has a practical suggestion. Always letting others cut into one's speech even when it is a good point. Afraid to use the word 'I' when expressing opinions. Feeling that the opinions of others is more worthy than one's own. Not correcting others in public when they have taught something incorrect. Always stating the source of an opinion for fear of being seen as intelligent. Weakening a point by saying "perhaps, maybe..." in order to protect oneself from seeming too confident on one's position. And also, failure to stand up for one's rights. One might prefer being told what to think rather than thinking for oneself. Which is dangerous in the wrong hands. Always forgoing one's own preferences for those of others.

At the same time feeling that one is being rewarded for all these displays of weakness. And at the same time this is de-energising because it takes energy to control these things and they don't release the adrenaline that doing things one likes does. Or the energy from being seen as intelligent or a roaring crowd etc. This leaves a person with no influence on others, even if it would be positive. Nobody wants to be like that person.

Does anyone have a good understanding of Islam and self-respect that they can share with us?

(On a side note: And if you answer, we assume that you believe that you have a good understanding, which is rather self-glorifying...do you see the issue here?)
    I disagree with the brackets, yet I still think like that sometimes, and it wastes time.

"Contingencies of Self-Worth model" (Crocker & Wolfe, 2001) people differ in their bases of self-esteem. Their beliefs — beliefs about what they think they need to do or who they need to "be" in order to class as a person of worth — form these bases. Crocker and her colleagues (2001) identified seven "domains" in which people frequently derive their self-worth:

Virtue
    God's love
    Support of family
    Academic competence
    Physical attractiveness
    Gaining others' approval
    Outdoing others in competition
    Last edited by Tosh; 11-02-09, 06:20 PM.

Re: Self-Respect & Dignity

I'm cannot claim to be an expert of any kind, but this is what I have heard.

The prophet in his last (?) formal speech said.... 'Today, I have perfected your religion for you....... Do not oppress and do not be oppressed...'
    ~ Verily, with every difficulty comes relief ~

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
    X