Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underweight

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Underweight

    Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
    yes I agree keep on eating normally and stay active. Who said you were underweight?!
    The BMI chart thingy told me :( It said I'm under the fifth percentile, whatever that means. :wacko: But then all the aunties say it too.. and like.. everybody :(
    Originally posted by GuCcI View Post
    say alhamdulillah. after marriage i feel like my metabolism isnt wat it used to be. im aging so fast :(
    Alhamdulillah :p and I don't know what your prob is... your still a total baaaaby! (masha'Allah)
    May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
    I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
    *
    My Blog

    Comment


    • Re: Underweight

      Originally posted by GuCcI View Post
      everything according to the chart and everything else according to what everyone else was saying. and thats how i roll
      BMI and other weight/height charts are wrong, because they only look at weight and not body composition. many athelets show up as overweight or even obese on them, whilst having a very low body fat percentage (and it would be dangerous for them to try to further reduce the amount of fat they have), and a lot of people show up as healthy on them, even if they have +30% body fat, which is NOT healthy.

      those charts are a health hazard IMO!!!
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

      [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

      Comment


      • Re: Underweight

        ohh i seee... it was the chart that had like height vs. weight?

        it was on the doctor's wall :p so it said if ur like 5'7 and weigh less than 120 lbs ur in the underweight zone.
        Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

        Comment


        • Re: Underweight

          Originally posted by zammy View Post
          The BMI chart thingy told me :( It said I'm under the fifth percentile, whatever that means. :wacko: But then all the aunties say it too.. and like.. everybody :(
          don't listen to them!! See my reply to gucci about BMI charts.

          I did my university undergrad project on why BMI charts are NOT a good indicator of health.

          The best indicators of being a healthy weight are this:

          - has a healthy lifestyle (healthy food + exercise)

          - has lots of energy /is happy

          - doesn't have excess body fat / looks slim and well toned - although some people can actually have excess body fat and still be healthy if the above is true.

          - for women: has a regular menstrual cycle - if you are underweight, they become irregular and seriously underweight, they stop
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]

          [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

          Comment


          • Re: Underweight

            Originally posted by GuCcI View Post
            ohh i seee... it was the chart that had like height vs. weight?

            it was on the doctor's wall :p so it said if ur like 5'7 and weigh less than 120 lbs ur in the underweight zone.
            yeah well doctors should know better - but often don't, unfortunately. The same doc will have told people with small builds and body fat percentages over 30 that they are healthy (when they're not)

            Body fat percentage is a much better indicator :up: but harder to measure. so unless someone thinks they are fat - or they are thin and run down (esp if they have missed periods) / in poor health - it's not worth worrying about :)
            [CENTER]
            [/CENTER]
            [CENTER]
            [/CENTER]

            [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

            Comment


            • Re: Underweight

              Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
              ah so you've tried this warrior diet?

              would you recommend it for during Ramadan? plus carrying on training? if so whats the best time of day or night to do weights or cardio?
              I've heard of the diet, but I haven't read the book.
              I just ate like that from habit and hunger patterns.
              When I ate like that I used to have lunch at around 3pm so that I'd still have the energy to train before dinner.
              Personally I can't fast and train properly at all. At best I'm weak, can't concentrate and have no energy. At worst I go hypoglycaemic, shaky, sweaty and light headed.

              I like a bit of cardio in the mornings. Wakes me up and gets me going.
              I also like cardio and weights in the evening. Either before dinner or not long before I go to sleep.
              I can ride the treadly without having a meal, but I always have to have something to eat before training (both weights and martial arts. Preferably about half an hour before hand). Otherwise I just can't train hard enough.
              I think it's better to eat carbs and train earlier in the day, then eat more protein for the later meals.

              My current diet and exercise regime is the best I've ever had.
              Last edited by Ruprecht; 10-02-09, 05:08 PM.
              "I shall be telling this with a sigh. Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
              ~ Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken

              Comment


              • Re: Underweight

                Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                I've heard of the diet, but I haven't read the book.
                I just ate like that from habit and hunger patterns.
                When I ate like that I used to have lunch at around 3pm so that I'd still have the energy to train before dinner.
                Personally I can't fast and train properly at all. At best I'm weak, can't concentrate and have no energy. At worst I go hypoglycaemic, shaky, sweaty and light headed.

                I like a bit of cardio in the mornings. Wakes me up and gets me going.
                I also like cardio and weights in the evening. Either before dinner or not long before I go to sleep.
                I can ride the treadly without having a meal, but I always have to have something to eat before training (preferably about half an hour before hand). Otherwise I just can't train hard enough.
                yeah I wouldn't try working out whilst actually fasting... but was thinking maybe a couple of hours after iftaar or something? :scratch:

                I do cardio each morning then eat breakfast (5x per week), I try to eat 5 small healthy meals a day (harder than it looks!!) and I do weights twice a week (beginner level whole body workout) - and drink tonnes of water :up:

                I put on a lot of weight after moving to Saudi (saudi food + no exercise !!!) so just undoing the damage now - and so far had lots of success alhamdulllah :hidban:
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]

                [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

                Comment


                • Re: Underweight

                  Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                  don't listen to them!! See my reply to gucci about BMI charts.

                  I did my university undergrad project on why BMI charts are NOT a good indicator of health.

                  The best indicators of being a healthy weight are this:

                  - has a healthy lifestyle (healthy food + exercise)

                  - has lots of energy /is happy

                  - doesn't have excess body fat / looks slim and well toned - although some people can actually have excess body fat and still be healthy if the above is true.

                  - for women: has a regular menstrual cycle - if you are underweight, they become irregular and seriously underweight, they stop
                  Hmm..Okay, Interesting. Well I do eat healthy foods because I think they taste alright..but then I eat just as much junk, if not more. And I never exercise but I do walk from class to class at uni..not to mention the marathons I run to hand in those labs in time so that's enough physical activity on my part =p By the way, is pizza healthy? The veggie ones at least? :o
                  May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
                  I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
                  *
                  My Blog

                  Comment


                  • Re: Underweight

                    Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                    yeah I wouldn't try working out whilst actually fasting... but was thinking maybe a couple of hours after iftaar or something? :scratch:

                    I do cardio each morning then eat breakfast (5x per week), I try to eat 5 small healthy meals a day (harder than it looks!!) and I do weights twice a week (beginner level whole body workout) - and drink tonnes of water :up:

                    I put on a lot of weight after moving to Saudi (saudi food + no exercise !!!) so just undoing the damage now - and so far had lots of success alhamdulllah :hidban:
                    I used to look down on "healthy living" as vanity, obsession with this life and fear of death. Never paid much attention to the "Body as a temple" principle.
                    Pretty much abused my body throughout my teens and early adulthood.
                    Then I got sick and depressed and stacked on weight.
                    Decided to pull myself together, cleaned up my act and started doing martial arts and got fit again.
                    That lasted half a decade then another bout of injury, sickness and depression.
                    Couple of half hearted attempts to get back in shape, then I made a big effort again last year. Lost a bit over 20kg. Fitter that ever, and the improved quality of life has made me a "healthy living" believer.
                    I'm training BJJ and Kickboxing, riding the treadly to work and shopping, weights (squats, deadlifts, bench, barbell curls and upright rows mainly), my own cardio exercise routine (burpees, skipping and shadowboxing mostly. I use a set of tapes by Bas Rutten) and plenty of bagwork.
                    Changed my diet too. Much more vegetables, fiber and protein. Much less carbs, fats and sugars.
                    These days I bug all my family about their lifestyles! :up:
                    "I shall be telling this with a sigh. Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
                    ~ Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken

                    Comment


                    • Re: Underweight

                      Originally posted by zammy View Post
                      Hmm..Okay, Interesting. Well I do eat healthy foods because I think they taste alright..but then I eat just as much junk, if not more. And I never exercise but I do walk from class to class at uni..not to mention the marathons I run to hand in those labs in time so that's enough physical activity on my part =p By the way, is pizza healthy? The veggie ones at least? :o
                      if the base is made of wholegrain bread (not white bread) and not too much fat/oil on the topping, yes its healthy Although nothing wrong with unhealthy food once in a while (see below)

                      if you are generally active (walking/running everywhere) thats actually quite a lot of exercise. Although as you get older your metabolism slows down a bit, so it would be a good idea at some point to take up some kind of exercise that you enjoy and will want to stick with, that will keep you slim and keep your metabolism high as you get older inshaAllah :up:

                      Regards the junk food - if you are staying thin then you are burning it off as quickly as you're eating it, but it will still be putting unhealthy (artery clogging) fats in your blood, so best to reduce it and increase the amount of healthy food you eat inshaAllah. When it comes to a healthy lifestyle there's nothing wrong with eating unhealthy foods - but your basic, everyday diet should be healthy. If you eat regular, healthy meals, most of the time some junk food won't make much difference. If you live off junk food, occasional healthy food won't make much difference. The important thing is what you eat regularly / day to day :up:
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

                      [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

                      Comment


                      • Re: Underweight

                        Wow, I learned a couple of new things in that post dhakiyya, jazakallahu kheyr!
                        May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
                        I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
                        *
                        My Blog

                        Comment


                        • Re: Underweight

                          Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                          I used to look down on "healthy living" as vanity, obsession with this life and fear of death. Never paid much attention to the "Body as a temple" principle.
                          Pretty much abused my body throughout my teens and early adulthood.
                          Then I got sick and depressed and stacked on weight.
                          Decided to pull myself together, cleaned up my act and started doing martial arts and got fit again.
                          That lasted half a decade then another bout of injury, sickness and depression.
                          Couple of half hearted attempts to get back in shape, then I made a big effort again last year. Lost a bit over 20kg. Fitter that ever, and the improved quality of life has made me a "healthy living" believer.
                          I'm training BJJ and Kickboxing, riding the treadly to work and shopping, weights (squats, deadlifts, bench, barbell curls and upright rows mainly), my own cardio exercise routine (burpees, skipping and shadowboxing mostly. I use a set of tapes by Bas Rutten) and plenty of bagwork.
                          Changed my diet too. Much more vegetables, fiber and protein. Much less carbs, fats and sugars.
                          These days I bug all my family about their lifestyles! :up:
                          :up: excellent - 20kg :up: yeah I feel so much better for doing the healthy lifestyle! Used to get cravings for junk food in the evening - they've vanished without a trace. can't say exactly how much I've lost (though I'm at least 2 sizes smaller) cause didn't have a scales or any way to measure body fat percentage when I first started

                          agree about the role in helping with depression, started doing an exercise programme (step and tae-bo videos) when I was recovering from it, I think it helped a lot. after that i walked everywhere (exercise plus plenty of natural light - both help with depression) - i just got lazy after coming to Saudi cause its too hot to go walking. So i have a rowing machine now and some dumbbells.
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]

                          [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

                          Comment


                          • Re: Underweight

                            Originally posted by fisabilillah View Post
                            So Kasim was right then... :scratch:
                            yes believe it or not
                            الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

                            Comment

                            Collapse

                            Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                            Working...
                            X