Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a cat.

Assalam alaikum,

I want a long-haired cat (like a Persian cat), but those kind of cats are often expensive and can only be bought. I have read that buying and selling of cats is haraam...and this is also Shaykh Munajjid's opinion. The majority opinion is that the buying and selling of cats is permissible, but I would like more information for that opinion. If anyone has it please post it up so I can get evidence for both sides.

JazakAllah khair.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Re: I want a cat.

Anyone?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Comment

Ive heard the same opinion buying n selling them is haraam.. so i would avoid it?
      so u need to try n find someone giving away kittens, or their cat...
      u can get from those animal rescue type people, altho dno if u cn choose the specification like that. also i think they come and "assess" ur home to see if its suitable :S
      how come u need that specific kinda cat? or is it just preference?
      .: Rufaida :.
      .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
      http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
      “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
      but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
      ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

All cats are gawjusss :inlove:
        What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
        Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
        Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
        but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
        but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
        We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
        freedom from slavery to other than the One,
        Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
        and a horizon that extends to the next life,
        Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

:salams:

The buying and selling of cats is forbidden.

I found this fatwa for you...

The view that it is haraam to sell cats is the more correct view, because it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade that, and there is nothing to suggest the contrary.
          Muslim (1569) narrated that Abu’l-Zubayr said: I asked Jaabir about the price of dogs and cats. He said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us not to do that (i.e., sell them).
          Abu Dawood (3479) and al-Tirmidhi (1279) narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the price of dogs and cats. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.
          Some scholars are of the view that these ahaadeeth are da’eef (weak), but their view is to be rejected.
          Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’ (9/269): As for what as al-Khattaabi and Ibn al-Mundhir said about the hadeeth being weak, this is a mistake on their part, because the hadeeth in Saheeh Muslim has a saheeh isnaad. End quote.
          Al-Shawkaani said in Nayl al-Awtaar (6/227), refuting the majority who interpret the prohibition in the hadeeth as meaning that it is makrooh and that selling cats is not a noble attitude or sign of chivalry: It is obvious that this is understanding the prohibition in a way that is contrary to its true meaning for no reason. End quote.
          Al-Bayhaqi said in al-Sunan (6/18), also refuting the majority: Some scholars have interpreted it as referring to cats that are wild and cannot be caught. Some claim that this applied at the beginning of Islam when cats were ruled to be naajis (impure), but when it was ruled that their leftover food and water are taahir (pure), it became permissible to sell them. But there is no clear evidence for either of these two views. End quote.
          Ibn al-Qayyim stated that it is definitely haraam to sell them in Zaad al-Ma’aad (5/773) where he said: This was stated in a ruling (fatwa) by Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) and it is the view of Tawoos, Mujaahid, Jaabir ibn Zayd and all the Zaahiri scholars, and it is one of the two views narrated from Ahmad. This is the correct view, because the ahaadeeth which state that are saheeh, and there is no evidence to the contrary, so this is the view that must be adopted. End quote.
          Ibn al-Mundhir said: If it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade selling them, then such sales are invalid, otherwise they are permissible. End quote from al-Majmoo’, 9/269
          And it has been proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade it, as in the hadeeth quoted above from Saheeh Muslim.
          It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 13/37:
          It is not permissible to sell cats, monkeys or dogs, or any other carnivores that have fangs, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade that and discouraged it, and because it is a waste of money, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade wasting money.
          And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
          قال بعض السلف :
          خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

http://saaid.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Hanzalah View Post
            Assalam alaikum,

I want a long-haired cat (like a Persian cat), but those kind of cats are often expensive and can only be bought. I have read that buying and selling of cats is haraam...and this is also Shaykh Munajjid's opinion. The majority opinion is that the buying and selling of cats is permissible, but I would like more information for that opinion. If anyone has it please post it up so I can get evidence for both sides.

JazakAllah khair.
            :wswrwb: yep id say go to an animal shelter and get one insha Allah for free, invest in a good hoover if u get a long haired cat :p i have to hoover the stairs twice a day sometimes because of the cat hair ( short haired ones can moult just as much though, and it seems white haired ones are the worst, dont ask me why.. ) Long haired breeds also take a lot of grooming too, otherwise they get mats and clumps in their fur, which would have to be shaved out if it gets too matted, and u also might have to bath it sometimes if it goes outside. other than that fantastic pets alhamdulillah.
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

I agree go to an animal shelter, adopt a neglected/abandoned cat and give it a lovling home.... just think how much reward you'll get from that inshaAllah :love:

wheras if you buy an animal from a breeder - yes there are responsible breeders out there of course!!! - but there are unscrupulous ones too that separate babies from their mummies at too young an age, that keep their animals in bad condition, and some pedigree animals actually can get quite bad genetic diseases if they are not bred really carefully. Unscrupulous breeders don't bother with that.
              [CENTER]
              [/CENTER]
              [CENTER]
              [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                but there are unscrupulous ones too that separate babies from their mummies at too young an age, that keep their animals in bad condition, and some pedigree animals actually can get quite bad genetic diseases if they are not bred really carefully. Unscrupulous breeders don't bother with that.
                Yeah I agree. I think it's a bad idea to get a kitten under 8 weeks old as that's a bit too early to separate the baby from the mother- even though kittens are tiny and gorgeous. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there ready to give away their cats. One of my pupils has a very frisky female who's already been pregnant a couple of times so they had to give the kittens away.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

I do too.

My siblings have allergies, so I'm waiting until I move out!

The shelter seems like a good place to start mashaAllaah, since buying and selling is haraam, or you can ask family and friends if they'd like to give their lil ones away (no not their kids) :D
                  *Pokes everyone in the eye with a carrot*
                  Muslim Business Directory

Watch ALL Muslim TV Channels here:
                  Al Jazeera Live Press TV Islam Channel Peace TV Al Huda

Comment

i have two. anyone want em?

Comment

Get a black cat
                      The number one reason you should adopt a black cat is because they are less likely to get adopted. I don't know the reason why

Comment

Our cats were all strays, or abandoned kittens from the pound. I've never paid for a cat or dog in my life. There are so many out there who need you, just as much as you need them.

:love:

Comment

Originally posted by Tahiyah View Post
                          i have two. anyone want em?
                          Yes, but in Florida? *Faints*
                          *Pokes everyone in the eye with a carrot*
                          Muslim Business Directory

Watch ALL Muslim TV Channels here:
                          Al Jazeera Live Press TV Islam Channel Peace TV Al Huda

Comment

I am allergic to alot of animals, but I still have them. I was allergic to our hamsters, my budgies and now our kitty, but it doesn't stop me :masha: lol
                            قال بعض السلف :
                            خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

http://saaid.net/

Comment

i rescued my cat :)

Try the RSPCA or other rescue places. Also most pet shops have like notice boards inside or outside and some they have signs where people are just giving away cats and kitties.

I love my cat so much and i would recommend anyone getting a cat as long as you have the right environment for it :P

Mines all white hehe when it snows we could barely see him outisde, just his eyes and pink nose :D
                              [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]Happy Ramadan![/SIZE][/COLOR]
                              [CENTER][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]They were crying when their sons left
                              All young men must go
                              He's come so far to find no truth
                              He's never going home[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X