Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better to study medicine abroad then in U.S? what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better to study medicine abroad then in U.S? what do you think?

Well I live here in the U.S, currently in high school and thinking of becoming some kind of a physician. But the one thing that I find most intriguing is that it takes like 15 freakin years here in the U.S to become a doc. Lemme break it down, 4 years for BA, than 4 years in med. school, 2-5 years for specialty, than 2-5 years for residency.

I'v heard that in other countries it takes less time, like in pakistan (where i'm orignally from.) I know someone who went to school in Africa, studying medicine. So what do you think? Should i stay here in the U.S? (tell u the truth, i really dont want to lol)
    "And so, those were his last words, he had difficulty breathing. Dying on the inside, internally bleeding. The Angel of Death, dragged him away while he was sleeping.... watched his world crumble in front of him, searching for meaning..."

Re: Better to study medicine abroad then in U.S? what do you think?

To be honest if you can afford the Medical school fees and get a spot here in US it did be better for you. Cos once you complete your graduation from outside US, you are consider as an IMG (International MEdical Graduate) who are given less priority than AMGs (American Medical Graduates) when applying for residencies. Even though you are an US Citizen you still would be classified as IMG. So its usually best to find a Carribean school which get you the 3to5th year rotations in US so that you will not be considered as an Outsider IMG as would be coming from Pakistan.

Plus the Pakistani medical education system is largely based on British curriculum except Aga Khan Uni in Karachi.
    Then there is an issue that IMGs are given positions which AMGs wont take and certain areas of specialities are restricted to AMGs i.e Radiology, ER , Surgery.

So consider all options and then decide.

Comment

would it be possible for me to graduate from a country other than U.S, then come back to the U.S and take some test which will make me an AMG? is that possible? and could you also point out some nice schools in the Carribean?
      "And so, those were his last words, he had difficulty breathing. Dying on the inside, internally bleeding. The Angel of Death, dragged him away while he was sleeping.... watched his world crumble in front of him, searching for meaning..."

Comment

You have to have a degree before you can do medicine in US?
        Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.

Comment

Better for you to do it where you are if you want to practise in the US.If the UK is anything to go by,you will have to do some sort of tests when you want to practise in the US again..and even if you do get through the tests,US graduates will probably always get preferance over foreign graduates..and so getting a job is more difficult..

Comment

Originally posted by junaid368 View Post
            would it be possible for me to graduate from a country other than U.S, then come back to the U.S and take some test which will make me an AMG? is that possible? and could you also point out some nice schools in the Carribean?
            Nope
            There is no way you can be a AMG unless you transfer your credits in the final year of your college pay up the fees and get graduated from US Medical college.

Sorry have no idea on Carribean Med schools. You would have to do an online search and then ask around and check their websites. Easiest way to authenticate them is to call the Hospitals up where the colleges claim you will have your rotations.

Even though as IMG you still will have to give USMLE or if you go to UK then you will have to give PLAB first either way you will be an outsider. Getting into UK after Plab and even MRCPpart 1 is tough cos they have sort of sidelined the Sub Continent people in favour of EU grads. so most of the focus has shifted to US for Sub Continent people. If you decide to grad from another country then be sure to follow up on your USMLE exams and then try to get into last yr of the Med School in US. but work up on it (research it) Cos they have closed the Fifth Pathway program now. You will have to do more research on that part of the deal as i m not updated on that side of the scene.

Comment

go for pharmacy like me akhi

Comment

u can go to alot of different places, i know of a uni in china that is alot less years then in america/canada my neighbour sent her 2 sons and daughter to study there, but my opinion is that u stay in america, its gonna be really hard for u to find a job when u graduate cuz americans look sorta down on other education systems, for example my neighbours finding a job in canada after there down is verry slim to none, but then they want to live in an islamic country so it works for them

wat do u want to do after ur done? would u stay in america all ur life? or do u want to relocate to another country? those questions will help u make ur decision, if u want to work in america then my suggestion study in america, if u plan on livin abroad then u can go to countries like china,pakistan etc
                ‎"when she is a daughter, she opens a door of jannah for her father. when she is a wife, she completes half of the deen of her husband. when she is a mother, Jannah lies under her feet. If everyone knew the status of a muslim women in islam, even men would want to be women." Sheikh Akram Nadawi

Comment

Well I live here in the U.S, currently in high school and thinking of becoming some kind of a physician. But the one thing that I find most intriguing is that it takes like 15 freakin years here in the U.S to become a doc. Lemme break it down, 4 years for BA, than 4 years in med. school, 2-5 years for specialty, than 2-5 years for residency.

I'v heard that in other countries it takes less time, like in pakistan (where i'm orignally from.) I know someone who went to school in Africa, studying medicine. So what do you think? Should i stay here in the U.S? (tell u the truth, i really dont want to lol)
                  my son studied it abroad and felt is was more enlightening

thats all i know about it
                  .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                  نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                  دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

it may take shorter time in other countries. but the quality of doctors in other countries isn't as good as it is in the US. The reason why you go through all those years is so that you have the training and experience that makes you a good doctor.

now if you do decide to go aboard i suggest you go to UK,France or Japan as their medical education is excellent as well.
                    Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.
                    (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

Comment

some say its not better, its just more propaganda orientated towards the pharmaceutical companies outlook

they sponsor much of the research and control the outcome

people still die from malpractice, uninsured, wrong procedures, mismanagement, too many drugs, etc in the usa
                      .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                      نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                      دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                        some say its not better, its just more propaganda orientated towards the pharmaceutical companies outlook

they sponsor much of the research and control the outcome

people still die from malpractice, uninsured, wrong procedures, mismanagement, too many drugs, etc in the usa
                        yes there are malpractice suits but it's no where as high as other countries. for example i have lived in the middle east for over 10 years. i've only found doctor that hadn't studied in the US to be good. i have a family member had an illness about 4 years ago a couple of doctors him that he had some respiratory infection so they kept giving him an inhaler and some antibiotics. he still wasn't getting better. so when we went to the states just to visit he went to the doctor just for a check up and he was admitted to the hospital because he had an enlarged heart due to untreated high blood pressure. al humduillah he's fine now. and it's not the first time it happen.

my mother had a root canal done. by months afterward she was still having pain. then she went to a doctor who studied in the west and found out she an infection in her gums due to the dentist not sterilizing her during the root canal properly.

i have even one friend who the dentist pulled the wrong tooth.
                        Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.
                        (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

Comment

ok i would say you will find worst doctors anywhere in the world. From my experience when i lived in Gulf countries Eygptian docs werent highly looked at.

To conclude and base this opinion that Docs in US or UK are grand aint the right one cos you have no idea how much mistakes do regularly occur in MD's office and the ratio is equal everywhere. I think more on US side rather anywhere else in the world. thats only because you come to know about them faster outside US than inside.

my personal choice is that if you are looking to work in UK then Subcontinent is the best place to study if you find UK to be expensive. And if you are looking for US then find places which have their curriculums similar to US medical school curriculum. There are success stories but the candidate for residency was exceptional.

When if you are whether if you are graduate from anywhere in the world you will still have to go thru USMLE just like the AMGs the difference is that AMGs give their steps while in medical school and IMGs have to give it later. but once you get inducted into Residency there is no difference between u and the AMG.

Students in US chose Carribean schools as they cant afford or cant get into med schools in US plain and simple. We the IMGs no matter how brillant will considered after AMGs. Exceptional cases will be catered but you have to be seriously exceptional. Keep in mind that the passing rate for Usmle is 75%(for all) so an average AMG scores around 90-95% (IMGs also score that much) then other things factor in.

then again these are my opinions and i speak from my personal experience.

Comment

hi, I study medicine in Bulgaria (6 year English programme)... my University is among the best in Europe and I am looking forward to graduate as I want to start practicing... application process is quite straightforward as I did it through studymedicineeurope.com. Pls let me know if you have any questions to help you out...

Comment

Working...
                            X