Is this offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this offensive?

A distant Asian friend of mine would always use the term 'gora' when referring to white non Muslims. At first I thought it was just a general word used by all asians to describe non muslims......but just recently I realised that she uses the same exact term when describing me to her friends or family...'the gora one'...'that gora over there'...'I'm going to meet the gora today'.....:(

Okay lol...I know it's silly of me to get upset over such a silly word but I'm already insecure as it is about my colour...but for someone else to emphasise it so so much......is making me EVEN MORE conscious! Is she saying it in an offensive way? Should I confront her and ask her to stop? Or is this normal and I'm just being paranoid? @)
    Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Re: Is this offensive?

u didnt feel offended till they started to use it on u? even tho they used it on others infront of u?

ikhlaas of a person demands them to apply same feeling when somethin is said to them or to others.
    لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

Comment

Originally posted by truepath View Post
      u didnt feel offended till they started to use it on u? even tho they used it on others infront of u?

ikhlaas of a person demands them to apply same feeling when somethin is said to them or to others.
      What I mean is....gora is generally used on non muslims, I think. So why use it on your own brother and sister....who is a Muslim?

And plus I've witnessed people use the 'term' gora to ridicule others, which I obviously diagree with. The definition means 'white' but the context it's used in....their intention.....isn't good.
      Last edited by Kubs; 07-11-08, 07:29 PM.
      Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Comment

lol it is offensive but i wouldn't take offence, or refer to them as u know the jealous one.

Gora is for white person, not white non muslim btw.

Comment

To me... gora is used on who are whites .. caucasians... be it muslims or non muslims...

but if i find offensive... i wud find it for all both muslims and also on non muslims.. even whether its used on me or not

Comment

u shld be offended...

your friends calling you a white man *outta*
            FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
            OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
            Donate to syria.
            *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

:(

Comment

Its not racist though is it?
                الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
                  lol it is offensive but i wouldn't take offence, or refer to them as u know the jealous one.

Gora is for white person, not white non muslim btw.
                  So if it just mean's 'white' then why would it be an offensive word?

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
                    u shld be offended...

your friends calling you a white man *outta*
                    So not only am I a gora

but I'm also a gora man?

:p
                    Last edited by Kubs; 07-11-08, 07:39 PM.

Comment

because it's usually used in a derogatory way. Like negro, means black in spanish, still racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
                        because it's usually used in a derogatory way. Like negro, means black in spanish, still racist.
                        Hmm that's what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubs View Post
                          So if it just mean's 'white' then why would it be an offensive word?
                          exactly... my point.

hence i dont find it offensive... people use that term when refering to a group of people...but they way they use it ...that can be offensive... meaning term itself is not offensive but the context in which its used can be offensive

Comment

Originally posted by truepath View Post
                            exactly... my point.

hence i dont find it offensive... people use that term when refering to a group of people...but they way they use it ...that can be offensive... meaning term itself is not offensive but the context in which its used can be offensive
                            The context in which it is used in is offensive though. When referring to an individual....you use their name. If I had an overweight friend, I wouldn't tell my family 'I'm meeting the fat one'. That is simply rude.

Same thing applies to gora and the context in which she uses it in.

Comment

gora means white man
                              gori white woman

it depends on you say it...

1) look at all them goray filthy people...

2) im going to see my friend, you know the gori one...

first one obviously means gora as in non muslim white (which is how our elders used it because the goray were all british invaders in indian..)

second one just describing ethnicity...
                              FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
                              OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
                              Donate to syria.
                              *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X