Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaking hands with the opposite sex

Salaam,

Today i was introduced to a muslim brother by a friend and he extended his hand out to shake, i awkwardly rejected it but later my friend said that it is a common practise among palestinians (which both of them are). I was just wondering if anyone can clarify the islamic ruling on this issue is it haraam?

Jazakallah
    Please Re-update your Signature

Re: Shaking hands with the opposite sex

Dear Warwick

Sister Umm Junayd has something about this on her blog:

http://ummjunayd.info/archives/the_touch.php

I hope it is of benefit insha'Allah!
    Last edited by hatimabu; 29-10-08, 08:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

sister it is not permitted, the prophet Muhammed pbuh said that it is better for a man to have a steel nail driven through his head rather than for him to shake the hand of a woman he isn't mahram to!

So you can see the severity of it being disallowed.

I know in some cultures it is percieved as very rude which I found out when I was holidaying back home. However culture condons many haram things so rather follow Islam, Islam always comes first.

Just smile and explain politely Islamically it's not permitted, otherwise they may take offence.

It makes you feel so good when you don't do it, knowing you've done something to please Allah swt, and as long as it's done in the correct manner it can even be dawah to non muslims and naseeha even for muslims.
      Bye bye :salams

Comment

You gotta wear thick winter gloves :D
        Everyone thinks their a scholar because they know how to copy and paste, you get your ummah face on and the second you log out, you know your reality. Anyone can attain knowledge, how many can implement it?

Comment

No....sneeze rather violently into your hands then wipe your nose...then extend hand to shake ;)

(not :p)
          It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
          -Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by Hiking View Post
            No....sneeze rather violently into your hands then wipe your nose...then extend hand to shake ;)

(not :p)
            lolz
            Allah is the one God
            and Mohammad is his prophet:up:

Comment

this thing happened with me twice...
              once i was organsing an inter college event....there was this guy who was friends freind......when my friends introduced us....
              he extended his hand to shake...but i refused......he said are u trying to show me attitude ...i said no...its just that i'm a practising muslim.......& he was like what....hehehh...that was it...
              & the other time...i was in a office for some work....there this guy extended his hand..tho he was a muslim... ...i said sorry..i dont shake hands....he said ohh....principles......:)
              so i dont think u should think twice before doin something ur imaan tells u too
              Muslim Business Directory

Muslim TV Channels here:
              Islam Channel Peace TV

Comment

Salaams

I think it was Taqqie Chaudray (Sheikh) from Al Kauthar who said he had just ended a talk and seminar, and all the non-muslims left really impressed and wanted to know more. He was standing at the door of the hall when I woman came running down to him and he said she stunning or beautifull, and she wanted to thank him for the talk, and she offered her hand.. ;)

He thought to himself, oh no know everything I have done will be for nothing and all these people who are starring, they will think I am extreme.. (lots of kufr and muslims were watching);)

He smiled and then says "Sorry in Islam I am not allowed to shake the hand of a beautifull woman"

She laughed and was extremly flattered by it and it seem to do the job

Comment

Dear Soldier of Deen

I think his name is Tawfique Chowdhury, and it should be kuffar, not kufr - sorry for so bring fussy about semantics - I guess I am just a pedantic semantic.

The other thing, I feel it would have been better if he had left out the “beautiful” part from his response.

May Allah guide us all!
                  Last edited by hatimabu; 30-10-08, 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo - see, I told you I am fussy!

Comment

there would have been no point to his post if he did what you said :bangbang:

Comment

Originally posted by -BILAL- View Post
                      there would have been no point to his post if he did what you said :bangbang:
                      Dear Bilal

Sorry, do you mean if Tawfique Chowdhury left out the word "beautiful" there would have been no point to Soldier of Deen's post?

Comment

Just say 'Sorry I dont shake hands with men/women' Simple and to the point. Responses to this can range from weird looks to apolgies.
                        The kitchen's a laboratory, and everything that happens there has to do with Science. It's Biology, Chemistry, Physics. Yes, there's History. Yes, there's Artistry. Yes, to all of that... but what happened there, what actually happens to the food is all Science :banan:

Comment

Originally posted by Loobna View Post
                          Just say 'Sorry I dont shake hands with men/women' Simple and to the point. Responses to this can range from weird looks to apolgies.
                          Oh please, keep you friend in your pants and your head on, its not enough that the Asian community is so narrow minded we have to hear it on the forum.

You need to say Beautiful. The women and the feelings and thoughts of those around will be hit and her heart will be hit. Its a compliment and is polite, nothing sexual, the intentions are correct are they not, it is not an invocation..

Allaah Knows Best

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X