Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

    My mom has really bad joint aches and has tried various pills prescribed by the doctor, without any improvements, it gets so bad at times that it interferes with daily life and simple errands.

    Our chinese neighbour then recommended she take a chinese herbal tonic from a herbal medicine specialist...the prescription is 3-4 tablespoons every night before bedtime.

    She started taking it and saw differences for the first time...the thing we're worried about is the very high alcohol content (they say the high alcohol content increases the potency of the herbs)...we've asked other family members, some say it's halal because it's a medicine like cough syrup (which also contains alcohol), others say its haram because the alcohol content is too high and cause cause intoxication even with a few tablespoons (is this true?)...it's had good results on her though and she's sleeping alot better, has less aches and pains, and even her her hot flushes are gone (she's nearing menopause).

    I haven't been able to ask any scholar or anything, but as much as my mom is happy with the way things are now, she also wants to make sure that it's halal?
    The Prophet :saw: said: "The Muslim Ummah is a unique Ummah among the whole of mankind: Their Land is one, their War is one, their Peace is one, their Honor is one and their Trust is one." (Ahmed)

  • #2
    Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

    even if i was dying, i would never turn to chinese herbal medicine, they dont know what the stuff is themselves and most of them cant even tell you how it will help your illness/ailments....all they know is how to weigh it for you and take your money, i am shocked seeing people sitting in queues in their shops, because they cant tell you what they are giving you accept the cliche words "its all herbal" , "its natural" and the best one "lots of people take this...."
    The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

      Originally posted by MG View Post
      even if i was dying, i would never turn to chinese herbal medicine, they dont know what the stuff is themselves and most of them cant even tell you how it will help your illness/ailments....all they know is how to weigh it for you and take your money, i am shocked seeing people sitting in queues in their shops, because they cant tell you what they are giving you accept the cliche words "its all herbal" , "its natural" and the best one "lots of people take this...."
      we were skeptical at first :scratch: but my mom tried different docs and got no improvements, this just happened to work for her after trying almost everything else and spending loads of money on all sorts of prescription medication...i think u'd have to be pain to actually know what it feels like to go running around for cure just so you can have your life get back to the way it was

      and also in my mom's case theres a list of ingredients different types of tree barks and roots, etc, so we do know what's in there...they had other stuff containg buffalo testicles and snake blood and weird stuff like that...so took care of that part...it's just the alcohol we're concerned about now


      I didn't start this thread to ask about whether herbal medicines work or not, so your input is useless to me, no offense...it's working for my mom, I don't care if the rest of the world thinks alternative medicine is a sack of crock, if my mom tells me she's doing much better, then Alhamdulilah, I believe her and I'm happy for her...the question is whether the alcohol in it makes it halal or haram, even if it's a medicine.
      Last edited by tickledpinko; 25-10-08, 02:20 PM.
      The Prophet :saw: said: "The Muslim Ummah is a unique Ummah among the whole of mankind: Their Land is one, their War is one, their Peace is one, their Honor is one and their Trust is one." (Ahmed)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

        Originally posted by tickledpinko View Post
        we were skeptical at first :scratch: but my mom tried different docs and got no improvements, this just happened to work for her after trying almost everything else and spending loads of money on all sorts of prescription medication...i think u'd have to be pain to actually know what it feels like to go running around for cure just so you can have your life get back to the way it was

        and also in my mom's case theres a list of ingredients different types of tree barks and roots, etc, so we do know what's in there...they had other stuff containg buffalo testicles and snake blood and weird stuff like that...so took care of that part...it's just the alcohol we're concerned about now
        i been there sis and i would not risk my life or my health in the hands of a chinese herbalist, many people have had adverse affects because the herbalists dont know what they are doing or how it will react with your bosdy and doctors warn against going to them.

        I think your mum should count herself lucky alhumdulillah that it worked for her and did not make things worse.
        The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

          Originally posted by MG View Post
          i been there sis and i would not risk my life or my health in the hands of a chinese herbalist, many people have had adverse affects because the herbalists dont know what they are doing or how it will react with your bosdy and doctors warn against going to them.

          I think your mum should count herself lucky alhumdulillah that it worked for her and did not make things worse.
          Thanks for the concern sis :)

          I've heard of people having adverse reactions to chinese medication...but the ones I've heard of usually invlove slimming pills and stuff like that that you sometimes find in black markets.
          The tonic she's taking is legally sold and approved by the health ministry in the country she's in right now (malaysia), so we weren't really worried about it.
          The Prophet :saw: said: "The Muslim Ummah is a unique Ummah among the whole of mankind: Their Land is one, their War is one, their Peace is one, their Honor is one and their Trust is one." (Ahmed)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

            Originally posted by tickledpinko View Post
            Thanks for the concern sis :)

            I've heard of people having adverse reactions to chinese medication...but the ones I've heard of usually invlove slimming pills and stuff like that that you sometimes find in black markets.
            The tonic she's taking is legally sold and approved by the health ministry in the country she's in right now (malaysia), so we weren't really worried about it.

            aww may allah swt bless her with good health ameen
            The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

              has your mom tried glucosamine...? u can get halal ones in malaysia... :)
              "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus, The Matrix. :hidban:

              "It would not be reasonable in me if I did not serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be brought back." Surah 36:22. Ya Sin (Yusuf Ali Translation)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

                Has she tried taking honey or black seed oil.

                It is narrated by Abu Salamah on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Use this black seed regularly, because it has a 'shifaa' (cure) for every disease, except death.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

                  Originally posted by obl View Post
                  has she tried taking honey or black seed oil.

                  It is narrated by abu salamah on the authority of abu hurayrah (may allah be pleased with him) that the prophet (peace be upon him) said: Use this black seed regularly, because it has a 'shifaa' (cure) for every disease, except death.
                  ممتاز
                  .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                  نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                  دولة الإسلامية باقية





                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

                    Originally posted by PiElle2 View Post
                    has your mom tried glucosamine...? u can get halal ones in malaysia... :)
                    I'm not sure if she was ever prescribed that but I'll ask her Inshaallah, Jazakallah Khair for the suggestion

                    Originally posted by OBL View Post
                    Has she tried taking honey or black seed oil.

                    It is narrated by Abu Salamah on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Use this black seed regularly, because it has a 'shifaa' (cure) for every disease, except death.
                    she does take honey regularly mixed with egg yolk in the mornings...I don't know where to get black seed oil though, or how it looks like, Inshaallah I'll try to find out, maybe I'll get that for her as a gift from here when i visit her Inshaallah
                    Last edited by tickledpinko; 26-10-08, 02:55 PM.
                    The Prophet :saw: said: "The Muslim Ummah is a unique Ummah among the whole of mankind: Their Land is one, their War is one, their Peace is one, their Honor is one and their Trust is one." (Ahmed)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine preserved in 40% alcohol? Halal?

                      Originally posted by tickledpinko View Post
                      I'm not sure if she was ever prescribed that but I'll ask her Inshaallah, Jazakallah Khair for the suggestion



                      she does take honey regularly mixed with egg yolk in the mornings...I don't know where to get black seed oil though, or how it looks like, Inshaallah I'll try to find out, maybe I'll get that for her as a gift from here when i visit her Inshaallah
                      what's that about....? try add fresh lemon juice instead and drink it first thing before eating anything... and the honey has to be of good quality, at least a UVF15 and above... do it everyday for 1-3 months to feel the effect...
                      "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus, The Matrix. :hidban:

                      "It would not be reasonable in me if I did not serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be brought back." Surah 36:22. Ya Sin (Yusuf Ali Translation)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X