Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad?

Ok so why is culture so frowned upon?
    What aspects of your culture are you proud off, and what less so?
    What will you/do you expect to pass on to your kids about their cultural heritage?
    Do you think that some things (like mehndi before wedding) are cultural practices and not actually copying kuffar?
    What do you know about your cultural heritage?
    How would you describe your culture?

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Re: bad?

You know it gets real annoying when people say that culture is bad. Because even we are part of a culture living in the west. And eventually our kids will go through the same thing. They'll be posting on a forum asking, "what is WRONG with our parents culture? Its soo 2008!" A lot of things from our parents culture is really worth looking into: Repect to elders, modesty, work ethics, etc. etc.
    Last edited by LastFriday; 20-10-08, 04:52 AM.
    " The issue in palestine will not be solved by the United States or any western country. It's not going to be solved by Dan Six Pack or Sally Soccer mom! " Anwar Al-Awlaki

Comment

yes cultures bad
      coz our religion does not tell us to not get married to people who dont fall into out background category
      it says as long as ur muslim
      WHATS WRONG WITH THAT???
      whether blk white brown yellow green lol
      [COLOR="seagreen"][SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Mujahidah[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

this is a gud thread

sometime we label culture as alll bad- YES there are bad things- like things tht are not part of islam

but we forget tht

the way we dress, the language we speak, the food we eat, the halal activities we may do are all part of culture and theres nothing wrong with that

its just tht sumtimes we let the bad overide the gud
        check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hijab - I agree, for me though, culture should be out of the question when we have Islam that is a COMPLETE way of life for us to follow. :up: That's just my opinion.

Comment

yes Islam is out complete way of life, and thts the best way, but in culture if there are things tht do nt contradict our deen, will not displease Allah swt, then its not haraam- like food :D

Comment

Yeah, I'm talking about the extra stuff though.... Culture and food is different though, you can like foods from all kinds of different cultures. :p And no one objects food. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by scribble View Post
                Yeah, I'm talking about the extra stuff though....
                egs?

like the nonsense stuff they do at weddings lol

what about on wedding for example- people make thislittle things with sweets and i dunno nuts and stuff and give it to people to eat- that culture tht people do but not contradictory to islam

Comment

yeah like bollywood song and dance!!
                  وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
                    yeah like bollywood song and dance!!
                    lol and the dhol (omygosh)

and wen they hold the quran over the brides head during rukhsati

these things

Comment

You are born, and whatever race you're born into you're 'meant' to follow their traditions etc.... When you're born into a Muslim family, you're taught about Islam (whether you are guided or not is down to Allah) but with culture sometimes, it usually gets put into the 'This is Islam' box and I don't agree with that, I think from in my culture there's a lot of things I don't agree with, and that's why culture and I don't get on.

Stick to Islam I say.

Comment

You are born, and whatever race you're born into you're 'meant' to follow their traditions etc.... When you're born into a Muslim family, you're taught about Islam (whether you are guided or not is down to Allah) but with culture sometimes, it usually gets put into the 'This is Islam' box and I don't agree with that, I think from in my culture there's a lot of things I don't agree with, and that's why culture and I don't get on.

Stick to Islam I say.
                        :up:

Comment

what about henna parties?!?!
                          وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

culture is only 'bad' when it goes against the deen. we can adopt things from culture as long as it is not going against our deen. allahu alam.
                            Abu Huraira (ra) narrated that the messenger of Allah (saw) said 'Beware of suspicion, for suspicion is the worst of false tales; and do not look at the faults of others, and do not indulge in spying on one another..do not be jealous of one another and do not hate one another, O Allah's worshippers! Be brothers' (Sahih Bukhari)

Comment

Stick to Islam I say.
                              What dont you agree with?
                              SOmetimes when a parent doesnt want their child to marry in to another culture its becasue of concern, like ive said before marriage can be hard enough, without the extra burden, its not neccesarily due to racism etc. you may feel this is misplaced concern but normally a parent wants the best for their child and when looking for a partner they aim to try and prevent any future problems

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                              (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X