Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in a non Muslim Area

Assalaamu Alaykum,

I pray you are all well inshaAllah. I was wondering if you could all help me out with your words of wisdom :up: alhamdulillah.

Hubby, Ibrahim and I live in a predominantly non Muslim, English area. Now, I was wondering whether other people lived in such an area whilst they were growing up and what effect it had on them?

I guess the major downside is that Ibrahim doesn't get to see many practising Muslims (he's 6 months old lol but when he's older inshaAllah) out and about but alhamdulillah we go to circles, etc. and hubby will take him to the masjid when he's older. We are planning on sending him to a Muslim Primary School and Secondary School inshaAllah. Will that be enough?

When we were living in a Muslim majority area I am very sorry to say but it was an absolute mess (both environmentally and in general!) We use to have Muslim children swearing outside our house, Muslim guys driving up and down roads blasting music, Muslim girls that really looked worse than non Muslim girls subhanAllah!

Alhamdulillah in the area that we live in at the moment it is very clean, no one drives around like a maniac blasting music, etc. and we were thinking that when Ibrahim is at the age of understanding and he saw non Muslims doing wrong things we could explain that at the end of the day they are not Muslim.

Is it enough that the house environment is Islamic and the upbringing (education, etc.) is Islamic?

I would appreciate your input inshaAllah.

Wassalaam,
    Umm Ibrahim

Re: Living in a non Muslim Area

WaAlaykum AsSalaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

The people that you described in the muslim community sound exactly like a non-muslim community. I wouldn't call the muslims doing wrong 'non-muslims' because I don't think we can do that, whatever they do.

I think it's perfectly fine if the home environment, upbringing/education and schools are islamic. It would be preferable to live in a predominanlty muslim society but in contrast, your present area sounds better than the one you were in before.

Allahu alam
    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
    -Muslim

Comment

:wswrwb:

Living in a Muslim area is no guarantee of your children growing up pious.

Likewise, living in a non-Muslim area doesn't mean they will go astray.

Concentrate on your home environment, surround yourself with pious friends and the rest becomes irrelevant insha'Allah.

"We ask Allaah for a lasting faith, true certainty, and beneficial knowledge"

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Farooq View Post

Concentrate on your home environment, surround yourself with pious friends and the rest becomes irrelevant insha'Allah.

:salams

That's the best advice Alhumdulillah :up:
        "Yaa Allah grant me victory, or make me die Shaheed"

Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah.
        (surah al-anfal v.30)

Comment

I have been living in a non-muslim area all my life, there is no masjid, the nearest masjid is at least 40 minutes away, it is a real pain to get to especially if you havent got a car.

I find salah really hard sometimes because we havent got a masjid close, if i could go back in time i would of definitely opted for a move to a highly muslim populated area, but the good thing about living in a non-muslim area is that, inshallah more and more muslims will come to that area, mosques will be established inshallah. in 30 years we have been living here, from 3 muslim families we have at least 30 muslim occupied houses, probably about 100 muslims,

Once your area is at this stage its very important to start some kind of effort in the area, even if it is getting all the muslims together and reading a fazail book or maybe trying to get a room and starting congregation salaahs.

Comment

Asthagfirullah I didn't mean that I would say that the Muslims were non Muslims what I meant to say was that if we were out and about in the area we live in at the mo (predominantly non Muslim) and Ibrahim saw them (non Muslims) doing something wrong it would be easier for me to say they are doing x, y, z because they are not Muslim but it would be more difficult to explain when you are living in a Muslim area and people (Muslims) are doing bad things - hope that makes sense?

The masjid is about 5 mins in the car. It's weird because the side we live in are majority non Muslim but if we drive to the other side it's a Muslim area...but we don't get to see those Muslims as they have no need to come into this area if you see what I mean.

JazakAllah khair for all your comments. Alhamdulillah.
            Last edited by Sunflowers; 15-10-08, 11:30 AM.

Comment

i see ur point that its easier 2 explain to him like that
              altho on the other side, in a majority muslim area u got alot of ppl to chose from, u can keep company with very practising ppl, in area with very few muslims if the ones in the area r not that practising u got more of a problem cos u dnt have a lot of choice, if u get me..
              the most important is how u raise him in ur home i think, inshallah u can keep him in the right way by ur own example & instill these things in him since a young age, regardless of where u r living
              .: Rufaida :.
              .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
              http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
              “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
              but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
              ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Walikum Assalaam

I live in a non muslim area and I did find it quiet hard, But i think its because i grew up around here and i know every one.

There are some muslims but they arent really practising, also one of the things which i find hard is that my local masjid is a bus ride a way and not within walking distance.
                And He found you lost and guided you,
                ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
                " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
                ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Comment

i live in a english area, and i'd rather stay here than live in a highly populated muslim area. ofcourse we have a mosque and the muslims living here all more or less know each other. which is good.
                  we dont get any trouble from the English either. so its all good.
                  Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers. - 3.151

Comment

Salaam Alaikum,

I was born up and grew up in a 'Non Muslim Area' and it had major disadvantages, especially learning the Deen.

It is also very hard to be the only Muslim kid (or one of the only ones) in school / town - it means you are easily misguided by the non Muslims.

The Masjid (back then) was almost 30 miles away and we only went once a week for Jumm'a and that was only when we were off school.

When I was a little older the community (was about 10 Muslim families) managed to get a place to pray Jumma'a and a teacher to teach Quran.

Kids don't understand why they have to be different from everyone else!

I only started learning about my Deen properly when I moved to London when I was 18!

Right now I am living in what you would probably call a 'Non Muslim Area' but it is only 3 miles away from a densely populated Muslim area (which is a Ghetto).

I am trying to make things different for my kids by moving to a Muslim country where they can learn there deen and practice it and just be 'normal'.
                    Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
                    http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Farooq View Post

well said.....the most important thing is ur home environment...& how much u & ur husband follow deen......thats the 1st thing to affect ur child...
                      Muslim Business Directory

Muslim TV Channels here:
                      Islam Channel Peace TV

Comment

Thank you for all your comments. JazakAllahu khair.

Wassalaam,

Comment

on reading all the posts...my house feels like a heaven on earth....
                          as there a msjid very near to my house....muslim locality....pretty decent ppl ...surrounded by 95% practising muslims....awe real great man.....:up:
                          ALLAHAMDULILAH ....for blessing me & my family with such a good house & environment
                          Muslim Business Directory

Muslim TV Channels here:
                          Islam Channel Peace TV

Comment

I grew up in an absolutly muslim area/ circle, went to Islamic primary school and 1 year islamic highschool ( did a little course on the Islamic University)... have to be honest; it wasn't fun and it definitly didn't look well on my resume.. but who cares?
                            As you mentioned before; the Islamic/ Muslim area and youth are a mess. Mostly because the muslim youth here in NL feel like they won't be appreciated in the Dutch businesslife and community. And a lot of things happened here, I can understand the prejudice of a non muslim.

Comment

move closer to the masjid and make all of your congregational prayers in the masjid and help build the community of muslims, by encouraging the young and old to study, learn, and APPLY islam

living amongst the kuffar is a great great fitnah, for young and old
                              .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                              نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Working...
                              X