Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver

:salams

Has anyone read this book? I'm nearly through reading it, and I've got to say, it's one of those books that make you go kind of "crazy"... I am by nature a very questioning person, but this was beyond questioning. I really liked how many philosophical questions were aroused in my mind, despite how seriously "droned out" they made me feel - thinking about it in lessons a lot lately (I've been reading the book on the bus into College mostly).

I would thoroughly recommend this book to those who sometimes feel an obsessive need to be curious beyond your average level.
    Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
    O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Re: "We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver

omg...this book was amazing...really makes you question a lot of things...the ending is

i love her writing style

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah View Post
      omg...this book was amazing...really makes you question a lot of things...the ending is

i love her writing style
      Ohhhh, stop giving it away.

Jokes. I can guess.

I seriously enjoy her style of writing! Have you read any of her other books? Which one(s) would you recommend?
      We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Safiya View Post
        Ohhhh, stop giving it away.

Jokes. I can guess.

I seriously enjoy her style of writing! Have you read any of her other books? Which one(s) would you recommend?
        you guessed?! omg...i was in total shock!

no havent got round to reading any of her other books yet....but when i do will let you know :D

Comment

you guessed?! omg...i was in total shock!

no havent got round to reading any of her other books yet....but when i do will let you know :D
          I haven't finished reading it yet. But if it's that shocking, I look forward to it! :D

Yup, please do let me know. Think I may have a look for another one, bought this one as an off-chance, had old HMV vouchers, and couldn't find anything to buy - then realised they have a books section!

:shock:

I'm off home now, so :insha:, speak to you another time.
          Fee Amaanillah.

Comment

what's it about?
            Last edited by OBL; 09-10-08, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OBL View Post
              what's it about?
              its a series of letters from a lady, who's 15year old son went on a killing spree, to her husband whome she is separated from

goes through lots of issues such as blame...children being born evil...and just their life in general leading up to and after the events

i think i might have just made it sound like a really boring book..but its not :p

Comment

It was a gripping read, right until the end which was a real shocker and usually I can predict twists! .. it is in many parts disturbing as well, and you're right about the issues that it explores being interesting.

But yep, like Hafsah, I really enjoyed her style of writing.
                Last edited by Chained_Water; 09-10-08, 03:38 PM.
                [CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.[COLOR=sienna]- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi[/COLOR][/B]

[/FONT][/CENTER]
                [/CENTER]
                [CENTER][CENTER][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Shaykh al-Shadhili

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Jibreel (as)
                [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
                [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [B][I][SIZE=4] ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ[/SIZE]<o></o>[/I][/B]
                [B]O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
                Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. [COLOR=Sienna]- Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

[/COLOR][/B][I][B][SIZE=4]أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.[COLOR=Sienna]ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Re: &quot;We Need To Talk About Kevin&quot; by Lionel Shriver

Originally posted by Chained_Water View Post
                  It was a gripping read, right until the end which was a real shocker and usually I can predict twists! .. it is in many parts disturbing as well, and you're right about the issues that it explores being interesting.

But yep, like Hafsah, I really enjoyed her style of writing.

At the bold, likewise. Woohoo, looks like I might get shocked for once. No, actually, it would be great to get shocked, I'm nearly through reading it - currently reading through the after-math of Celia losing an eye. :(

As for the book containing disturbing parts, those are the parts I commented as being rather "crazy". However, I've got to allow myself this, something about both Kevin and his mother's characters (arguably rather similar) didn't just intrigue me, but made me like them... Which is essentially what the damned-right most disturbing parts get you to do, suddenly you've ventured to a place where you haven't been before; met someone; and actually find yourself almost "understanding" - dare I say it - them in regards to things you would never have thought understandable. This happened to Eva, when it came to her son.

However, I guess we've got to remember that this is Eva's side of the story only, and like the questions at the end of the book highlight, Eva let herself down with her lack of certain trust in her memory, in regards to many occasions. It's so frustrating to not get to learn of Kevin's side of the story. As for Franklin, though Eva tried to "cover his back", so to speak, I disliked his character.

Her style of writing makes it so obvious that she has written for The Economist; really kool. At first I was a bit skeptical of the layout of the book (letters), but I have to say, this really worked! In any other layout, I doubt it would have delivered as well as it did.

Comment

Originally posted by OBL View Post
                    what's it about?
                    Why do I feel there was a some-what sarcastic (more an attempt really) comment there, before you edited? :p

If you're into philosophy in the form where it's really close to home, read the book, basically...

its a series of letters from a lady, who's 15year old son went on a killing spree, to her husband whome she is separated from

goes through lots of issues such as blame...children being born evil...and just their life in general leading up to and after the events

i think i might have just made it sound like a really boring book..but its not :p
                    That was good sum-up, but he was 16 years old; though there isn't much of a difference...

Comment

Um, who added "women read too much" as a tag?.. :(

What is it with adding tags either reeking stupidity or sarcasm to topics?

Ah maaan, now who has gone and added that?

Comment

I've finished the book! The ending was rather surprising. I couldn't believe that it's really eleven people that he had killed, not the nine mentioned at the back...

Anyway, got my Sister-in-Law eager to read the book. :hidban:

Comment

Working...
                        X