Need helping filling out form for Council Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need helping filling out form for Council Housing

OK well my wife is pregnant mashaAllah. She is still a student, and lives at home (outside London in Shropshire). I live in North London, and I am currently unemployed. Due to her parents now kicking her out, we have to move out. (Long story, dont ask - its not the point of the thread, her parents arent practicing muslims).

My question is, who should fill out the council housing form? We dont want to be on a big waiting list, and I am guessing because my wife is pregnant (islamically married but not legally married), wouldnt she get higher priority as they would see her as a single mother-to-be becoming homeless?

The thing is she doesnt want to live in Shropshire and wants to move to my area, as the job prospects for me are better here and it is also nearer to where she studies (full-time economics student she is). That means if she fills out my area's council housing form, they will notice she doesnt even live here and what are her reasons for moving here. I know they give priority to people from the area rather than people moving in from outside.

Can anybody with experience/knowledge of obtaining council housing please offer some advice?

Re: Need helping filling out form for Council Housing

they give you like a points system, so for something like pregnant she might get more points. i think u can fill both on the same form though it does not necessarily matter if u are not legally married in uk. insha allah there should be some people available to help you with it, u know like citizens advice or mayb those connextions centres?
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

go to the housing office for you local borough... tell them she's homeless, they should give her some emergency accomodation
      Take a step into our unique Muslim Montessori school:

Donate your sadaqah to help build a Model School for all our children.
      Please watch our school appeal: https://youtu.be/SY819jmCbzw

Please forward this message to help turn this vision into a reality.

The Prophet (SAW) also said, "The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his Sadaqah." (Ahmad)

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Comment

Originally posted by marriage85 View Post
        OK well my wife is pregnant mashaAllah. She is still a student, and lives at home (outside London in Shropshire). I live in North London, and I am currently unemployed. Due to her parents now kicking her out, we have to move out. (Long story, dont ask - its not the point of the thread, her parents arent practicing muslims).

My question is, who should fill out the council housing form? We dont want to be on a big waiting list, and I am guessing because my wife is pregnant (islamically married but not legally married), wouldnt she get higher priority as they would see her as a single mother-to-be becoming homeless?

The thing is she doesnt want to live in Shropshire and wants to move to my area, as the job prospects for me are better here and it is also nearer to where she studies (full-time economics student she is). That means if she fills out my area's council housing form, they will notice she doesnt even live here and what are her reasons for moving here. I know they give priority to people from the area rather than people moving in from outside.

Can anybody with experience/knowledge of obtaining council housing please offer some advice?

well she is not a "single" mother to be, your her husband,so you both need to be on the form
        The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

brother, find a private landlord yourself then claim housing benefit. you cant get a council house overnight or within a short period.

so do some searching for flats/houses in your area. get a pre tenancy determination to find out how much they will pay for housing/council tax benefit.

the downside to this is the landlord can give you a notice any time if he decides to sell or whatever.

but inshallah during that time you maybe approved for a council house.

you can both say your seperate to boost the chance of being approved but cos your unemployed and shes expecting i reckong that should be enough to put you at the top :) so just say you will live together.

Comment

Originally posted by MWarrior View Post
            brother, find a private landlord yourself then claim housing benefit. you cant get a council house overnight or within a short period.

so do some searching for flats/houses in your area. get a pre tenancy determination to find out how much they will pay for housing/council tax benefit.

the downside to this is the landlord can give you a notice any time if he decides to sell or whatever.

you can both say your seperate to boost the chance of being approved but cos your unemployed and shes expecting i reckong that should be enough to put you at the top :) so just say you will live together.
            brother i really wouldnt advise them to start lying left right and centre, to get a house, cos it starts with one and you have to do many more to cover that one in the future, its not worth it and what kind of barakah will they get,when they get a place on false pretences?
            The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

im sure they hav to wait til ur contract is finished or 6 months break clause. cant just give notice before that?
              anywayy noone wants to buy houses at the moment so probly dnt have to worry about that one. our landlord had our place on the market for soo long but the prices they ask are a joke :p
              i think with private landlords is alright :up:
              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                  im sure they hav to wait til ur contract is finished or 6 months break clause. cant just give notice before that?
                  anywayy noone wants to buy houses at the moment so probly dnt have to worry about that one. our landlord had our place on the market for soo long but the prices they ask are a joke :p
                  Anna, you sound like you are experienced, what is your view of what I can do in my situation. Being 23 and not having guidance from anybody, I'm a bit lost and looking to the brothers and sisters who are on these boards to teach me.

Comment

actually i am not that experienced :p cos we dnt get ne house benefits for ours, husband just pays it.
                    but if u do want to get a private landlord then it might b better if u go thru agent, it costs more tho. but sometimes u get some right weirdos on gumtree and the likes..
                    and i think if u want a place which is a bit more expensive than ur benefits u jst have to pay the difference. altho not all landlords willing to take ppl on housing benefit, so u have to check n see insha allah. try ur very best to get a job insha allah

Comment

Originally posted by MG View Post
                      brother i really wouldnt advise them to start lying left right and centre, to get a house, cos it starts with one and you have to do many more to cover that one in the future, its not worth it and what kind of barakah will they get,when they get a place on false pretences?
                      its risky too and not really worth it..
                      ..and they dont really need to blag as their status and situation should be enough...
                      Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                      i dont think thats the case. i know one incident where a family were given 2 weeks notice and another bro was also given a similar time to leave :S

its not just landlord deciding to sell that is a problem. he could maybe decide he wants to move in or give it to a family member etc. a council house is definitely more stable but in the meantime i suggest going private . then he can sort other things out.

Comment

i dont think thats the case. i know one incident where a family were given 2 weeks notice and another bro was also given a similar time to leave :S

its not just landlord deciding to sell that is a problem. he could maybe decide he wants to move in or give it to a family member etc. a council house is definitely more stable but in the meantime i suggest going private . then he can sort other things out.
                        im sure this is not "allowed" the landlord may be just trying it :s
                        tenants hav got rights :s

Comment

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I wish I had a brother like you. I can tell you love to help sum1 in need.:inlove:

so tomorrow morning I am going to start looking for a 1 bed place. So if I find a place, ask to view it, and deem it suitable, then what would I do next? Do I go to the benefits office and pick up a form? I am just worried because I know most good 1bed flat go within days, and I am not sure how long the housing benefit form will take to process!

you given me light for once in the past 2 months in my life.

Comment

EDIT:

Also from what I THINK i know (from living out as a student), think estate agents and landlords dont like renting out to people who will claim housing benefit? Something I read on gumtree about "No DSS".

Do I even have to tell the estate agents that I will be claiming housing benefit?

Comment

EDIT (2):

I have downloaded the Housing Benefit form. It states that if you are a full-time student, you will not receive Housing Benefit. I am not of course a student, but my wife is a full-time student, so should I include her on the claim? I really wanted to put her on the claim as my partner especially since she is pregnant mashaAllah, because I think that will strengthen our case.

So confusing.

Comment

Working...
                              X