Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al-Gheebah

Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah

I h8 backbiting. its disgusting. its a sin. we all need to quit it. in this thread i'm going to be posting on the different types of gheebah etc. so stay tuned guys, and make an effort to stop doing this despicable thing, me included, inshAllah :love:

The prohibition of Gheebah and the command for safeguarding the tongue

Allah has said:
    And spy not,neither backbite against one another.Would any of you like to eat
    the flesh of his d ead brother?You would ha te it (so ha te backbiting.)And fear Allah.
    Verily Allah is the one who accepts repentance,most merciful.(49:12)

And:

And follow not that of which you have no knowledge.Verily!
    The hearing,and the sight,and the heart of each of those ones will be questioned.'

And Allah has said:

Not a word does he (or she) utter,but it is recorded. (50:18)

It is reported by Abu Musa that some people asked the messenger of allah,whose Islam is the best?
    (i.e who is a good muslim)
    He replied,'One who avoids harming the muslims by his tongue and hands.'
    He is also reported to have said,'Whosoever believes in Allah and the last day,should talk what is good or keep quiet.'
    And he is also reported to have said,'Sometimes a person may utter a word to which he attaches no
    importance and bye it he falls into hell farther than the distance between the east and the west.'
    And another time,'And the person may utter a word which displeases Allah,without thinking how serious it is,as a result of which Allah will record his wrath for him,because of his displeasure until the day when he meets him.'
    (Tirmidhi)

It was related by Uqbah bin Aamer,who said,he asked the messenger of Allah,'what is salvation?'
    The messenger of Allah replied,'Control your tongue,keep inside your house,and weep for your sins.' (Tirmidhi)

In one hadith,Allahs messenger told Muadh bin Jabal about the head of the 'matter',its pillar and its peak,
    'May i not tell you about a thing which is the controller of all this?'
    i said,'certainly,O messenger of Allah.' Upon this,he took hold of his tongue and said,
    'keep this under control.'
    I said,'Oh messenger of allah!will we be called to account for what we say?'
    He replied,'Wont the people be thrown face down into Jahannam on account of the produce of their tongues.'(Tirmidhi)

Now let us see the punishment of the person that backbites.The prophet peace be upon him said:
    'O you people who believe with their tongues (pay lip-service to faith),when faith has not entered their hearts,do not backbite about your brethren (muslims) and do not expose their faults.Whoever exposes the faults of of his/her fellow muslim,
    Allah will expose his/her faults.And if Allah exposes his faults,his faults will be open for everyone even if he would hide inside his house.'
    (Ahmed,Abu Dawood,Tirmidhi)

Jabir bin AbdAllah relates,While we were with the prophet peace be upon him,we smelt a rotten smell.Allahs messenger then asked,'Do you know what this smell is?this is the smell of those who backbite about the believers.'
    (Ahmed)

Anas related that Allahs messenger said,'When i ascended (on the night of ascension) i passed by some people who had copper nails and they were clawing their faces and chests with them.I asked,O jibreel,who are these people?
    he replied,these are the people who eat the flesh of human beings and disgrace them.'
    (Ahmed,Abu Dawood)

My muslim brothers and sisters,backbiting is prohibited by Ijma (Consensus).Imam Qurtubi said,'The ijma
    is that Gheebah is a major sin,and it necessitates repentance,it is wajib to turn to Allah in repentance from it.'

(Backbiting,Abdul Malik Al-Qasim)
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Re: Al-Gheebah

Definition of Al-Gheebah

Gheebah is to talk about your brother/sister in such a manner that he would dislike it if told about it,.Whether you talk about a physical defect,lineage,manners,conduct,faith or even his clothes,house or mode of transportation-all these constitute Gheebah.In regards to his body,it could be stating that he is bald,short,tall,white or black,or giving any physical description in a way that would not be liked.In regards to lineage,it could include stating that his father is a cobbler,or a garbage collecter,or anything similar in a way he would dislike.In regards to manners,it could include stating stinginess,arrogance,cowardice,weak hearted and of the likes.In regards with deeds associated with religion,it could include statements such as he is a thief,liar,careless about salaah or zakaah,or saying he doesn't perfect his ruku or sajdah,or he is not careful about avoiding impurities,etc.
    In regards to deeds associated with daily living,it could include statements such as he has no manners,
    talks too much,sleeps when it is not the time,etc.Statements made in his/hers absence which the absent person would not like is Gheebah.

The prophet peace be upon him defined backbiting when he said:

Do you know what is meant by backbiting?
    We said,Allah and his messenger know best.
    He said,'To say something about your brother/sister which he/she may dislike.'
    It was asked,'Even if what is said is true?'
    He replied,'If such defects you say are true,about him,then you have done Gheebah,and if is not
    true,then you have committed slander against him.'
    (Muslim,Abu Dawood,Tirmidhi)
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '

Comment

So if I am working with someone who has a different way of working from me and we both dont agree with the priorities and methods of each other, but they are my ,manager, does this mean i cant get it off my chest or ask for advice but have to keep it to myself

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
      (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

no thats a completely different situation!
        inshAllah i will be posting more info on this topic soon^^

Comment

Backbiting is not by spoken words only

Brothers & sisters!Backbiting is not only restricted to the tongue.Be aware that backbiting by the
          tongue was prohibited because you inform others of the defects of your brother/sister and describe them in a way they dislike.Therefore,intimation is just like declaration,to describe the defect by an action is like saying it;also a wink,signal,hint,nod,any movement or writing are forms of backbiting and they are Haraam/Aisha relates:
          'A woman came to our home.When she left,i moved my hands indicating that she was short.The prophet peace be upon him said:'You have backbitten about her.'
          (Abu Dawood)

To imitate someones walk would be another example.This is Gheebah,indeed it is worse than Gheebah because it is clearere and more readily understood.When Allah's messenger say Aisha imitating a woman,he is reported to have said:

I would not like to imitate anybody,even if i were such and such.
          (Abu Dawood,Tirmidhi)

Gheebah can also be through writing,for the pen is one of two tongues.This is,my brothers and sisters,the case when the person tells the truth about others.It is Gheebah and he is Mughtaab,a backbiter.By doing this he disobeys his Lord and he eats the flesh of his brother.But if he is lying,then he combines Gheebah and Nameemah (slander).

Muadh Bin Jabal said:
          'A man was mentioned in the presence of Allah's messenger.The people said,'How lazy he is!'
          Allah's Messenger said:

'You have backbitten your brother.'
          They said,oh Allah's messenger,what we said about him is true.
          He said:'If what you have said is true then this is Gheebah,and if it is not true,then it is Buhtaan(nameemah=slander)'

Al-Hasan said:
          'When people mention others they may commit one of three sins:Gheebah,Buhtaan (Nameemah) and Ifk,and all
          are in the book of Allah.Gheebah is to say what is true about a person.Buhtaan is to say about a person
          which is not true.And Ifk is to tell what has been conveyed to you.'

Allah's Messenger said:

All things belonging to a muslim are unlawful for another muslim;
          his b lood,his property and his honor.'
          (Muslim,Baihaqi)

Gheebah deals with honor and Allah has combined honor with property and bl ood.

Comment

what if you are relaying facts for an example, you are telling someone about what happened to you and in order for you to do so you have to expose someones defects.

Comment

meaning, like in a divorce situation etc? thats different, in cases like that you have to speak the truth, to give your parents etc the facts etc. so long as it doesn't become so you go around telling all and sundry.

will be posting more on the topic inshAllah.

Comment

like when u are seeking advice from an individual about a situation that has occured between you and another individual. you have to tell that person the story actually as it happened and how it made you feel in order for them to give you sound, unbiased advice.
                is this backbiting?

Comment

no, so long as you do not...be vindictive and are sure that the person is not someone who will repeat what you say to others its not backbiting.

Comment

thanks, x

Comment

Types of Gheebah

Gheebah has different forms and may take all kinds of means.The worst type of Gheebah is the one
                      that combines gossip and Riyaa.An example would be when some person is mentioned and a man would say
                      'Al-hamdulillah that he didn't try us,we would have been tempted to enter the doors of the sultan,or that we dont
                      demean ourselves in seeking the ruins of this world.'
                      Or one may say,'I seek refuge with Allah from shamelessness.i ask Allah to save me from such.'
                      The intention here is to criticize the other perosn and it is done in the form of Duaa,supplication.

One may also praise another person but the intent is to criticize,such as saying,'How good such-and-such person
                      is,he never had a shortcoming in his worship but now he is being lazy.He was tried with something everyone
                      of us is tried of,which is lack of patience.'
                      One would mention himself but his intention is to criticize others by doing this.At the same time he praises
                      himself by showing that he is righteous since he criticizes himself.In this case,he is mughtaab,Muraa'ee
                      and praising himself.He combines three shameful deeds and because of his ignorance he thinks that he is a righteous person who would not make gheebah.

Another form of Gheebah is that one criticizes another person,but the people dont pay attention to what
                      has been said.so he says,'subhanAllah,how amazing!...'
                      So the people may listen to him and know what he is saying.Or he may say,'I was hurt to hear about our friend and how he was humiliated.I ask Allah to relieve him.'
                      He is actually lying about his concern regarding the friend,in his pretense of making Dua.If he meant to pray for him,
                      He would have prayed for him whilst in solitude.

Comment

The motives for Gheebah

There may be numerous reasons to motivate one to make Gheebah.The following examples are among these reasons.

1.Lack of fear of Allah and disobeying his commands on prohibitions.Whoever feels the greatness of Allah and acknowledges that Allah is watching all his actions and utterances,he would avoid anything that displeases Allah.

2.Getting things off ones chest.A person may do something to upset another.Every time the aggrieved person feels angry about it,he alleviates the anxiety by making gheebah about the other person.

3.Joining,by agreeing,with a group of friends.When a group is engaged in a loose talk aimed at slandering others,a person may think that if he speaks out and tries to stop them they may dislike him.So,he joins them in talking ill about others,assuring that this is the only way to be acceptable to them.

4.Seeking to raise ones own status by putting down others.A person may say:'So-and-so person is ignorant,he is not smart.' The intention is to praise oneself and show that he has more knowledge than the other person.

5.Envy and jealousy.Some person may be praised by people who like him.A jealous person may hear them and make Gheebah of the other person,criticizing and insulting him,so that the people may think differently about the person they have just praised.

6.Fooling around and joking.One may mention some person in such a way to make others laugh.There are even some people who make a living in this way.

7.Seeking to earn the approval of others for status.

Needless to say,there are more motives for Gheebah,far too many to list.

Comment

Asalama Alaikam :jkk: for the above posts what should someone do when a conversation turns to back biting or gossip? Should they say stop even if they aren't the oldest in the group? Or just leave? & what if they are just ignored, mocked or both but they are travelling or stuck with the group so can't leave? Is it best to ease of contact with people who fall into gheebah to prevent yourself from the same?
                          "If you have burned the Jews, why don't you give a piece of Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to Israel. Our question is, if you have committed this huge crime, why should the innocent nation of Palestine pay for this crime?"

http://muslimwiki.com/mw/images/thum...Palestine2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ugh View Post
                            Asalama Alaikam :jkk: for the above posts what should someone do when a conversation turns to back biting or gossip? Should they say stop even if they aren't the oldest in the group? Or just leave? & what if they are just ignored, mocked or both but they are travelling or stuck with the group so can't leave? Is it best to ease of contact with people who fall into gheebah to prevent yourself from the same?
                            walaykum salaam. If a conversation turns into backbiting then you should tell them to stop or if you are too shy just change the subject to something else quickly..eventually they will get the idea. Age has nothing to do with sins so even if you are the youngest in the group, doesnt mean you cat enjoin the good and forbid the evil. Ibn Abbas RH was amongst the youngest of the sahabah yet they would still ask for his opinion.

If you are ignored or mocked the best thing is to just get up and leave and walk away. If the people are your mates and they always fall into gheebah, then adivse them inshaAllah but if it is their nature to constantly sin then best to find a good group of Muslims as friends as the messenger of Allah [salAllahu alayhi wa salam] said: you will be raised on the day of judgement with those you love..and he SAW also said :A good friend and a bad friend are like a perfume-seller and a blacksmith: The perfume-seller might give you some perfume as a gift, or you might buy some from him, or at least you might smell its fragrance. As for the blacksmith, he might singe your clothes, and at the very least you will breathe in the fumes of the furnace.
                            http:/www.alghurabaa.org
                            Islaam began as something strange and will return as something strange, so glad tidings to the strangers..

[dhikrullah.com]

Comment

the brother's reply says it all- hope it answered your question ugh!
                              more posts on the topic to come inshAllahu Ta'ala.

Comment

Working...
                              X