X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art? In Islam?

Bismillah
    Salaams Brothers and Sisters,

I come to you with a problem and needs of answers. I am currently in my last year of highschool, and is hoping to go into college, Inshallah. The type of college and what I want to major in is the problem. I love art. I'm a huge supporter of the arts, more specifically the visual arts. But that's the thing. It seems that there are a lot of limitations on art, at least when you are a Muslim. Why is it that I can't draw people?
    Please Re-update your Signature

Re: Art? In Islam?

If you start reading on this matter you will find contradicting opinions...therefore you have to make up your mind. It could be a good idea to focus on your intentions behind drawing people and then assess whether these are in line with what you think is Islamic.

Comment

I'm currently taking a drawing class at college.

To my understanding, if someone draws a person, Allah (SWT) will ask that person on the Day of Judgement to bring life into what the person created.

Landscapes and stuff is fine, but drawing people is a no-no.

Btw, I had to draw parts of a skeleton for my drawing class last night. Is this okay? It's sort of a person, but it's dead and not a good likeness of a person.
      Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Bismillah
        I've heard so many things about why not to draw people, like:

• You cant draw them because Allah (SWT) does not want you to compete with him.
        • You can't draw people because then you'd end up worshiping them.
        • And you can't draw anything that contradicts the rules of Islam.

These reasons alone would be enough for me, if only I had answers to the questions/reasons that always followed.

• When I draw people, I don't want to compete with Alllah, I only want to draw for the fun of it.
        • When I draw people I do not intend for myself or anyone else to worship these drawings, I know who God is, and I don't feel I should have to pay for the things people might do.
        • Not all drawings have to depict anything that goes against the teachings of Islam, say for instance if I draw a Muslim, how would that be wrong, besides the rules that have been stated above.

I see my intentions are good and that I only want to draw people because it's an interesting subject and something interesting and rewarding to learn. But if anyone can answer these problems I'm having, it would be greatly appreciated.
        Last edited by Praiseworthy; 12-09-08, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Praiseworthy View Post
          Bismillah
          I've heard so many things about why not to draw people, like:

• You cant draw them because Allah (SWT) does not want you to compete with him.
          • You can't draw people because then you'd end up worshiping them.
          • And you can't draw anything that contradicts the rules of Islam.

These reasons alone would be enough for me, if only I had answers to the questions/reasons that always followed.

• When I draw people, I don't want to compete with Alllah, I only want to draw for the fun of it.
          • When I draw people I do not intend for myself or anyone else to worship these drawings, I know who God is, and I don't feel I should have to pay for the things people might do.
          • Not all drawings have to depict anything that goes against the teachings of Islam, say for instance if I draw a Muslim, how would that be wrong, besides the rules that have been stated above.

I see my intentions are good and that I only want to draw people because it's an interesting subject and something interesting and rewarding to learn. But if anyone can answer these problems I'm having, it would be greatly appreciated.

Assalamu Alaikum,
          • When you draw people. You're going against what Allah's messenger (saw) said.
          • Can I open a liqor shop, not drink it but sell it. My intention is to make money to provide food for my family.
          • Its not about drawing a particular race. Its about creating portraits & drawings of people.

It seems like you have already made up your mind. By the way, I'm an artist as well. I go to art school currently. I started out as a character and portrait artist. I still do art, but I no longer draw humans and Alhumdulillah bro, Allah (swt) has opened up 10 different paths for me.

Btw: I do 3d Animation and Modeling.

• Do you really think Allah (Swt) is scared that someone is competing with him? You should read more about why drawing Human figures is not allowed. I've been to art school and the human anatomy classes you have to take are far from being halal.
          • Do you know how much filth goes on in the name of Art? Take a few art history classes and you will understand. And subhan'ALlah I was just like you, until i looked into the history of Art. Its disgusting.
          • Allah (swt) has given people the talent of Art. Utilize it in a halal way! You don't have to do figures and faces! You can still be an artist. There are thousands of amazing non-muslim and Muslim artists who don't do human figures or portraits.

Why do people get their portraits created on large oil canvases? To put in on the wall in their bungalow and mansions. Angels do not enter a house in which there are pictures.

We know that we need to lower our gaze and not look at women. So will you only be drawing men? There is disagreement on certain issues of Art, such as photography and 3d. But even in 3d I don't feel its safe, so I abstain from it.
          Last edited by LastFriday; 12-09-08, 02:53 AM.
          " The issue in palestine will not be solved by the United States or any western country. It's not going to be solved by Dan Six Pack or Sally Soccer mom! " Anwar Al-Awlaki

Comment

Originally posted by LastFriday View Post
            Assalamu Alaikum,
            • When you draw people. You're going against what Allah's messenger (saw) said.

• Can I open a liqor shop, not drink it but sell it. My intention is to make money to provide food for my family.
            • Its not about drawing a particular race. Its about creating portraits & drawings of people.

It seems like you have already made up your mind. By the way, I'm an artist as well. I go to art school currently. I started out as a character and portrait artist. I still do art, but I no longer draw humans and Alhumdulillah bro, Allah (swt) has opened up 10 different paths for me.

• Do you really think Allah (Swt) is scared that someone is competing with him? You should read more about why drawing Human figures is not allowed. I've been to art school and the human anatomy classes you have to take are far from being halal.
            • Do you know how much filth goes on in the name of Art? Take a few art history classes and you will understand. And subhan'ALlah I was just like you, until i looked into the history of Art. Its disgusting.
            • Allah (swt) has given people the talent of Art. Utilize it in a halal way! You don't have to do figures and faces! You can still be an artist. There are thousands of amazing non-muslim and Muslim artists who don't do human figures or portraits.

Why do people get their portraits created on large oil canvases? To put in on the wall in their bungalow and mansions. Angels do not enter a house in which there are pictures.

We know that we need to lower our gaze and not look at women. So will you only be drawing men? There is disagreement on certain issues of Art, such as photography and 3d. But even in 3d I don't feel its safe, so I abstain from it.
            Bismillah
            You are SO confusing.

When you draw people. You're going against what Allah's messenger (saw) said.

I understand that, it's the reason why that I don't understand.

Can I open a liqor shop, not drink it but sell it. My intention is to make money to provide food for my family.

This scenario is completely different than mine, liquor is haram and unhealthy, so while you may not be drinking it, your patronizing others to do so. Also your children may be encouraged to drink it.
            And as long as I'm not advertising anything that's haram (like drawing anything that goes against Islamic teachings, besides the part about us not being able to draw) then it SHOULD be ok. Again a Muslim making salat is great right? So then why would it be wrong to draw it?

Its not about drawing a particular race. Its about creating portraits & drawings of people.

I used "Muslims" as an example, an example of something good, or that isn't bad.

By the way, I'm an artist as well. I go to art school currently. I started out as a character and portrait artist.

That's great, Alhamdulilah, I'm so glad then, that I'm talking to another artist who is in an art school and is also Muslim. :)

I still do art, but I no longer draw humans and Alhumdulillah bro, Allah (swt) has opened up 10 different paths for me.Such as......?

Excuse me for the skepticism
            , but how is this any better? If we are not supposed to draw ANIMATE objects, then what do you ANIMATE?
            How do you go around not doing any humans or animals in an art school, where your professor will probably ask you to do it?

Do you know how much filth goes on in the name of Art? Take a few art history classes and you will understand. And subhan'ALlah I was just like you, until i looked into the history of Art. Its disgusting.

There is filth and will always be filth in almost everything you do. Take reading for an example, don't tell me we can't read anything else besides Islamic material (which isn't bad) JUST because there are haram things in SOME books.

Allah (swt) has given people the talent of Art. Utilize it in a halal way! You don't have to do figures and faces! You can still be an artist. There are thousands of amazing non-muslim and Muslim artists who don't do human figures or portraits.

I know there are other types of art that don't include animals and humans, but I can't sit here and not draw them for ALMOST no reason, what I'm trying to say is that, I know it's haram, but why is it, when you can draw people and animals with good intentions, or without the bad intentions?

We know that we need to lower our gaze and not look at women. So will you only be drawing men?
            I want to draw BOTH men and women, but not in an objectifying way. Although I may have to draw nude people. I want to go in an art school for Advertisement design, but for some reason I have to take drawing classes, what do I do then? And sometime in my profession, I'll have to use images of people, then what? Start my life all over? Pursue something I'm not interested in?

There is disagreement on certain issues of Art, such as photography and 3d. But even in 3d I don't feel its safe, so I abstain from it.

Again excuse the skepticism, but what DO you do in art school. Sounds like you may just want to quit 'cause in an art school, there doesn't seem to be any escape for not dealing with images of people and animals.

Thank-You very much for the support and help though
            Anyone else has any answers? Tips? Support?

Last edited by Praiseworthy; 12-09-08, 03:46 AM.

Comment

I know a sister who is taking photography at college and she explained to the teachers Islamic standards and restrictions. They are very understanding and she is doing well and excused every time there is some unislamic content like nude pictures. She is even allowed to miss the class during those sessions. Why don't you try to explain to your teachers that you have religious restrictions but you will work hard for the rest. Can you choose among the courses and avoid the ones where you have to draw humans and animals? Can you get make up work for what you miss?

Good luck brother. InshaAllah, you will find a good solution.

Now, can someone tell me if a teacher can be held responsible for what their students (children) choose to draw. Let's say if he/she has no control and it is on the curriculum and they avoid as much as possible but sometimes, students draw on their scrapbook or when they can choose their activity, they choose to draw people.

Comment

Bismillah
                Salaams Brothers and Sisters,

I come to you with a problem and needs of answers. I am currently in my last year of highschool, and is hoping to go into college, Inshallah. The type of college and what I want to major in is the problem. I love art. I'm a huge supporter of the arts, more specifically the visual arts. But that's the thing. It seems that there are a lot of limitations on art, at least when you are a Muslim. Why is it that I can't draw people?
                Drawing pictures of human was deemed forbidden because in the times of Jahilliyah in Arabia their iman was very weak vulnerable. And easily led to worshipping these symbols of imagination. But Islamic art has contributed much while staying within the limits of deen. Here is an example,

http://www.philiptaaffe.info/Critica...ZAINALDIN.jpeg

Comment

Bismillah
                  You are SO confusing.

When you draw people. You're going against what Allah's messenger (saw) said.

I understand that, it's the reason why that I don't understand.

Can I open a liqor shop, not drink it but sell it. My intention is to make money to provide food for my family.

This scenario is completely different than mine, liquor is haram and unhealthy, so while you may not be drinking it, your patronizing others to do so. Also your children may be encouraged to drink it.
                  And as long as I'm not advertising anything that's haram (like drawing anything that goes against Islamic teachings, besides the part about us not being able to draw) then it SHOULD be ok. Again a Muslim making salat is great right? So then why would it be wrong to draw it?

Its not about drawing a particular race. Its about creating portraits & drawings of people.

I used "Muslims" as an example, an example of something good, or that isn't bad.

By the way, I'm an artist as well. I go to art school currently. I started out as a character and portrait artist.

That's great, Alhamdulilah, I'm so glad then, that I'm talking to another artist who is in an art school and is also Muslim. :)

I still do art, but I no longer draw humans and Alhumdulillah bro, Allah (swt) has opened up 10 different paths for me.Such as......?

Excuse me for the skepticism
                  , but how is this any better? If we are not supposed to draw ANIMATE objects, then what do you ANIMATE?
                  How do you go around not doing any humans or animals in an art school, where your professor will probably ask you to do it?

Do you know how much filth goes on in the name of Art? Take a few art history classes and you will understand. And subhan'ALlah I was just like you, until i looked into the history of Art. Its disgusting.

There is filth and will always be filth in almost everything you do. Take reading for an example, don't tell me we can't read anything else besides Islamic material (which isn't bad) JUST because there are haram things in SOME books.

Allah (swt) has given people the talent of Art. Utilize it in a halal way! You don't have to do figures and faces! You can still be an artist. There are thousands of amazing non-muslim and Muslim artists who don't do human figures or portraits.

I know there are other types of art that don't include animals and humans, but I can't sit here and not draw them for ALMOST no reason, what I'm trying to say is that, I know it's haram, but why is it, when you can draw people and animals with good intentions, or without the bad intentions?

We know that we need to lower our gaze and not look at women. So will you only be drawing men?
                  I want to draw BOTH men and women, but not in an objectifying way. Although I may have to draw nude people. I want to go in an art school for Advertisement design, but for some reason I have to take drawing classes, what do I do then? And sometime in my profession, I'll have to use images of people, then what? Start my life all over? Pursue something I'm not interested in?

There is disagreement on certain issues of Art, such as photography and 3d. But even in 3d I don't feel its safe, so I abstain from it.

Again excuse the skepticism, but what DO you do in art school. Sounds like you may just want to quit 'cause in an art school, there doesn't seem to be any escape for not dealing with images of people and animals.

Thank-You very much for the support and help though
                  Anyone else has any answers? Tips? Support?

Oops, sorry I forgot to reply. I do mainly hard-surface modeling, as in Environments, Cars, Mechanical stuff. During the time when I was abstaining from characters and portraits, I was going through a very tough time in switching over when I landed a internship at a medical company. And I currently am a Paid intern there and I model hospital interiors , equipment , doctors and patients. Now, if you do anything for medical reasons it is allowed. SInce what we work on helps doctors and nurses train. There is also architecture which I will be going into insha'Allah :) 3D animating and modeling them and really am looking forward to it! Theres interior design, there are commerical jobs, there is work for NASA, there is work for the science and biotech field. The jobs for artists are there. Depends on what kind of artist you want to be though. Im also taking up caligraphy. =) Have tawakkul in Allah. He is the one that us to begin with.

When you take the drawing classes you can choose to opt-out during the nude drawing sessions. You will still learn anatomy but the nude-drawing session is pointless.
                  " The issue in palestine will not be solved by the United States or any western country. It's not going to be solved by Dan Six Pack or Sally Soccer mom! " Anwar Al-Awlaki

Comment

I will never understand why teachers order their students to DRAW NUDE...in the first bloody place. How stupid and unnecessary.
                    Gone

Comment

Working...
                    X