Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with my class

Salaam Alikum

It's the first day at my new college, and I see a problem with one of my classes. Maghrib prayer is right in the middle of class, and the class is a drawing class. I know drawing people is haraam, but what exactly are the rules? Should I tell the teacher that I'm Muslim and I shouldn't draw certain things?

What should I do? The class is later tonight.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Re: Problems with my class

i used to paint landscape n pieces ov fruit e.t.c.

cheers

Comment

u dnt get to pick ur classes? can u try to change it? or find out exactly wat it entails it mayb ok if they giv a bit of freedom in what ur drawing, then u select something which is not humans & animals?
      as for maghrib i dno about over there but here in uni u can just get up from a lecture go prayer room and come back, they wont say anything because ppl are allowed to leave to go get water, cup of coffee etc?
      .: Rufaida :.
      .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
      http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
      “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
      but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
      ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Well I take art and they expect me to do life drawings this year but I told them last year that I won't be taking part in it and I explained my reasons and they respect that and will assign me with other things to do.

I know life drawings and observational drawings are a major thing in art and if you're wanting to study art further most universities (or I've been told) require you to have completed that and want evidence of the work in your portfolio, however it doesn't mean you have to draw the body form. I'm sure your teacher will understand.

Comment

life drawing is the reason i didn't do some art courses/diploma i was interested in couple of years back... it seems to be an integral part of most if not all courses. inshaAllah your school may allow you to do still life drawings such as fruit bowl or something? there are always options, just a matter of them being ok with it. wouldn't compromise doing it myself, so :up: to those who straight up say they can't or are looking to avoid it by any means possible. my little sis told me friends in her 6th form went into the art room oneday to find an old woman starkers... needless to say some muslim students just walked out and refused to go back and draw her. shock horror or what?
          Hasbun Allah Wa Ni'mal Wakeel - NeVeR LoSe HoPe In Allah
          Trusting in Allah won't make the mountain smaller, but will make climbing easier. Do not ask Him for a lighter load, but ask Him for a stronger back

www.CAGEPRISONERS.com
          - www.youtube.com/7macchiato7

Comment

Yeah my college this year expects me to draw a male...

No thank you.

No thank you to female either.

:vomit:

Just tell 'em, I did. It'll be fine.

Comment

if u can change your classes then it would be nice otherwise u should talk 2 ur tracher tell him/her that u are a muslim and are not allowed to draw faces or just do drawings of nature:up:

Comment

Originally posted by muslim_girl94 View Post
                if u can change your classes then it would be nice otherwise u should talk 2 ur tracher tell him/her that u are a muslim and are not allowed to draw faces or just do drawings of nature:up:

I'm also worried that I'll have to draw nude figures of people.
                Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                  Well, you can ask your instructor tonight if that is part of the curriculum. And if drawing of faces, etc. is part of the plan as well. The instructor will know that already.

Then if drawing of a face is in the plans, explain to him (or her) that you cannot do that for religious reasons, and see if some other assignments could be used for you instead.

Or worst case, they may find some other class that satisfies that particular credit requirement. You aren't majoring in art, are you?

When I was in MSA, we helped students with these issues all the time. It was perfectly routine and professors were more than willing to work with us to find good solutions. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, just raise the issue tonight before or after class (don't wait too long) and it should be fine.

Comment

draw a robot n be like its my best attempt at a person :( they can't do you for that!

Comment

u serious or jokin'

Comment

Originally posted by muslim_girl94 View Post
                        u serious or jokin'
                        You do have to, it's a part of life drawings. You just have to tell your tutors though make sure you stress why exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Macchiato View Post
                          my little sis told me friends in her 6th form went into the art room oneday to find an old woman starkers... needless to say some muslim students just walked out and refused to go back and draw her. shock horror or what?
                          They were not even warned about this before she came, and then the teacher tried to get them to pay her afterward!!

Anywhoo, talk to the course director and find out if it's going to happen, then let them know beforehand that you don't want to do it and why...nip it in the bud so they have time to come up with alternatives.
                          It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
                          -Muslim

Comment

Salaam Alikum

It's the first day at my new college, and I see a problem with one of my classes. Maghrib prayer is right in the middle of class, and the class is a drawing class. I know drawing people is haraam, but what exactly are the rules? Should I tell the teacher that I'm Muslim and I shouldn't draw certain things?

What should I do? The class is later tonight.
                            Assalamu alaykum
                            Wait why is drawing people Haram? What I've heard that it is Haram because it is only for Allah to create these things, but I'm not actually intending to create an i.e. monkey...... I would just be doing it for school grades.
                            Gone

Comment

Well, I didn't bring up Islam. The teacher was talking about herself, and she said that she was from NY and lost several friends during 9/11.

I just don't think it would be good to say that I was Muslim after she said that.

Comment

Working...
                              X