Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Medicine in Islam

http://www.islamicmedicine.org/natural.htm

The link above contains information about alternative medicine from an Islamic viewpoint. I've always been someone who has been interested in more natural methods of healing and have always been wary of Western Medicine and their solution of giving one a pill for every ailment.

As someone who has studied a lot of tradiional medicines around the world, I must admit that I was not aware that there was much of a tradition in the Muslim world( perhaps I simply assumed since the middle east was arid- there must not be many plants to have much of a tradition). I stand corrected. There is a very rich tradition of healing with plants. I think I even read a hadith which said " "Allah never inflicts a disease unless he makes a cure for it. ..." I've always believed somewhere on this planet there is a cure for everything.
    Please Re-update your Signature

Did you know that some BUGS could cure ppl.

Comment

Muslim sister, isn't it quite common in many cultures to use all sorts of strange creatures as a cure? The first such animal I have great doubts about is the bloodsucker (leech), once sold even in pharmacies. What "bugs" have the Muslims used? The results?

Comment

i also meant leeches

Comment

http://www.divineislam.co.uk/DivineI..._to_medi.shtml
          .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
          نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
          دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

taken from as-suyuti's *medicine of the Prophet*

The Prophet(saw) forbade eating the following together at the same meal: milk and fish, or vinegar and milk, or fruit and milk, or lettuce and fish, or garlic and onions, or dried meat and fresh meat, or sour things and acid things, or sumach and vinegar, or vinegar and rice, or grapes and excessive eating of aubergines, or pomegranates and meat pudding, or two cold dishes, or two hot dishes, or two wind productive dishes.

Comment

Where I live, we still use some natural remedies to this day (just as our ancestors did) and it is passed down to each generation. If it is available in your area I can suggest the following:

Colds, Flu, Respiratory problems - Boil the root of a Sassafrass tree and drink the tea. Helps reduce lung inflammation and eases breathing. Also helps to free the sinuses.

Headaches - Chew the twig of a Willow tree. It contains natural aspirin.

Cleaning the blood - Onions and Garlic (especially) are good for this.

I hope this helps someone.

peace,
              Robert

Comment

I got this fwd below. It's pretty interesting :)

Food & Nutrition In Islam (It's Good To Know)

Milk: The Prophet(SAW) said that milk wipes away heat from the heart just as the finger wipes away sweat from the brow. It strengthens the back, increases the brain, augments intelligence,renews vision and drives away forgetfulness.

Honey: Considered to be the best remedy for diarrhoea when mixed in hot
                water. It is the food of foods, drink of drinks and drug of drugs. It is used for creating appetite, strengthening the stomach, eliminating phelgm,as a meat preservative, hair conditioner, eye salve and mouthwash. It is extremely beneficial in the morning in warm water and is also a sunnah.

Olive oil: excellenent traetment for skin and hair, delays old age, treats inflammation of the stomach

Mushroom: The Prophet(SAW) said that mushroom is a good cure for the eyes, it also serves as a form of birthcontrol and arrests paralysis.

Grapes: The Prophet was very fond of grapes, it purifies the blood, provides vigour and health, strengthens the kidneys and clears the bowels.

Dates: The Prophet(SAW) said that a house without dates has no food, also to be eaten at the time of childbirth.

Figs: It is a fruit from paradise and a cure for piles

Barley: Good for fever in a soup form

Melon: Melon contains 1000 blessings and 1000 mercies, The prophet SAW said "None of your women who are pregnant and eat of water melon will fail to produce off spring who are good in counternanace and good in character.

Pomegranate: The Prophet(SAW) said it cleanse you of Satan and evil
                aspirations for 40 days.

Water: the Prophet(SAW) said the best drink in this world and the next is H20, when you are thirsty drink it by sips and not gulps, gulping produces sickness of the liver.

So praise be to our beloved Nabi(SAW) who produced us with marvellous knowledge which dazzles the wisest minds.

May this information be beneficial to all of us - Insha-Allah!

Comment

The goodness of Honey:-

1 FOR BURNS

Apply freely over burns. It cools, removes pain and aids fast healing without scarring. Apart from being a salve and antibiotic, bacteria cannot live in honey.

2 BED WETTING

A teaspoon of honey before bed aids water retention and calms fears in children.

3 SLEEPLESSNESS

A dessertspoon of honey in a mug of hot milk aids sleep and works wonders

4 HYPERACTIVITY

Honey is a mild sedative with minerals, vitamins, amino acids etc. Replace all white sugar with honey. White sugar is highly stimulating with no food qualities!

5 NASAL CONGESTION

Place a dessertspoon of honey in a basin of hot water and inhale fumes after covering your head with a towel over the basin. Very effective.

6 WOUNDS OR GRAZES

Cover wound with honey and a bandage. Excellent healer.

7 FOR FATIGUE

Dissolve a desertspoon of honey in warm water or quarter honey balance of water in a jug and keep in the fridge. Honey is primarily fructose and glucose and so it is quickly absorbed by the digestive system. Honey is a unique natural stabilizer - ancient Greek athletes took honey for stamina before competing and as a reviver after competition.

8 FACIAL DEEP CLEANSER

Mix honey with oatmeal approx. 50/50 till thick and apply as a face pack. Leave on for half an hour then wash off. Great as a deep cleanser for acne etc.

9 POOR DIGESTION

Mix honey with apple cider vinegar approx. 50/50 and dilute to taste with water. This aids digestion. (Also reputed to be wonderful for the joints.)

10 HAIR CONDITIONER

Mix honey with equal quantity of Olive Oil and cover head with a warm towel for half an hour then shampoo off. Feeds hair and scalp. Hair will never look or feel better!

11 SORE THROATS

Let a teaspoon of honey melt ! in the back of the mouth and trickle down the throat. Eases inflamed raw tissues.

12 FOR STRESS

Honey in water is a stabilizer - calms highs and raises lows. Use approx. 25 percent honey to water.

13 ANEMIA

Honey is the best blood en-richer by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey the more minerals it contains.

14 FOOD PRESERVATIVE

Cakes with honey replacing sugar stay fresher longer due to natural antibiotics. Reduce liquids by approx. one-fifth to allow for moisture in honey.

15 HEART PATIENTS

These people are well advised to replace white sugar (sucrose) with honey, natural fructose and glucose.

16 HAY FEVER

Chewing the tops of comb honey stimulates the immune system due to minute amounts of pollen. During the season thew for 20 minutes a teaspoon of bee capping (tops) five to six times per day. Highly effective and useful for asthma sufferers as well.

17 BABY'S BOTTLE

Four teaspoons of honey to a baby's bottle of water is an excellent pacifier and multivitamin additive. If baby's motions are too liquid then reduce by half a teaspoon; if too solid, increase by half a teaspoon.

18 TEETHING

Honey rubbed on a baby's gums is a mild sedative and anesthetic.

19 OSTEOPOROSIS

English research has shown that a teaspoon of honey per day aids calcium utilization and prevents osteoporosis. Essential from age 50 onwards.

20 LONG LIFE

One common fact worldwide is that the most long-lived people are regular users of honey. An interesting fact yet to be explained is that beekeepers suffer less from cancer and arthritis than any other occupational group worldwide.

21 MIGRAINE

Use a dessertspoon of honey dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Sip at start of attack. If necessary repeat in 20 minutes. Always effective (so tip goes) as migraine is stress related.

22 CONJUNCTIVITIS (PUS IN THE EYE)

Honey dissolved in equal quantity of warm water. Apply, when cooled, as lotion or eye bath.

23 COUGH MIXTURE

6 oz. liquid honey

Juice of 2 lemons

Mix well. Bottle and cork firmly. Use as required

> > > Important < < <
                  Keep honey in first aid cupboard for emergency use, and another in the kitchen cupboard.

Comment

Yeah - HONEY!!! A great cure for a FLU. Before going to bed, get a glass of hot milk, met a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of butter and mix well. You will sleep better and it more than likely will take some of the flu symptoms away. (Though I'm not sure if it actually TREATS the flu.) Also, a tablespoon of FLAX oil works good too.

Comment

Islamic Medicine

Haven't had chance to check it out yet :scratch:
                      So lemme know what you think?

Comment

Thank goodness an islamic medicine thread.

Leeches are excellent to use as they help rid one of bad blood as does cupping.

http://www.unani.com

Discover our heritage....

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X