Holier than Thou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holier than Thou

How do you guys deal with people who have this type of attitude?

Always, correcting and looking for faults in others as if they have no problem of their own. It's especially annoying when these people are younger than you.
    The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah
    Today we abandon the Sunnah, just because it's Sunnah.

Re: Holier than Thou

Originally posted by ImaanSeeker View Post

Always, correcting and looking for faults in others as if they have no problem of their own. It's especially annoying when these people are younger than you.
    lol .. i just take it on the chin and say ok.

I know how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ImaanSeeker View Post

We should always concentrate on ourselves first but we have to continue to enjoin the right and forbid the evil right? Insha'Allah t'ala you should just take their advice and worry about yourself instead of worrying about them. Otherwise you are doing the thing you do not like.
      First they came for the 'Terrorists', and I did not speak out.
      Then they came for the fundraisers, and I did not speak out.
      Next they came for the ulama, and I did not speak out.
      And then they came for me.

Comment

tell 'em to practice what they preach and sort themselves out first.
        The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
        (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
        In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

Tell them they have no right to preach unless they practice because its totaly double standards!!

Comment

Saying 'worry about yourself first' or anything of the like is a sign of the worst of Muslims. (Looking for the hadith right now)
            First they came for the 'Terrorists', and I did not speak out.
            Then they came for the fundraisers, and I did not speak out.
            Next they came for the ulama, and I did not speak out.
            And then they came for me.

Comment

The best thing to do is just say ok, smile, and walk away. Don't bother wasting time talking to them.
              "Ask the people of remembrance if you do not know" - Surah Anbiya, 7

Comment

Ah yes Imaan Seeker I know exactly the sort of person you mean. There is a brother on another forum who I've argued with a few times because to him, almost every thread/conversation/discussion turns into a competition in which he has to prove that he's smarter than everyone else and keeps trying to put down anyone who disagrees with him (ESPECIALLY if it's a woman) whether it's a profound discussion on Imaan/Shariah or a petty passing comment about how to make a good tomato sauce!

It took me a while to realise that although the person comes across as very educated and intellectual, but actually when it comes to his ego, he's so messed up that there's no point in attempting to have a reasonable discussion and not much point in attempting to reason with him because he'll twist what you say as yet another excuse to put you down. What I sometimes do is that I point it out straight away when he's trying to show off or put me down so I say things like "now you're being patronising- I didn't say anything of the sort!" or "i don't normally discuss this sort of thing with you or respond to ur messages much because i sensed earlier on that u have a one track mind, are incapable of taking on board other people's points of view and i normally don't have the stamina to go into it" or in your case akhi, I'd suggest that you say "Don't you ever have anything nice to say about anyone?".
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

There are a lot of people who do this just for the sake of showing off how wonderfully muslim they are.

There are also younger people who do it, because they want to try and help an elder person. A lot of times it gets said in the wrong way, and it also gets received in the wrong way. The older person takes it offensively and it comes across from the younger person as brash.

Allahu A'lim
                  Freedom exists only in the hereafter

Comment

i dont know anyone who fits that description
                    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                      i dont know anyone who fits that description
                      Dont know whether to laugh or to be taken aback.
                      ربِ إشرح لي صدري ويسر لي أمري

Comment

I think some people are given this title without them even 'being one'. What if the person we are trying to advise, give da'wah to thinks the same of us, imagine everyone started to think this way, there will be no hope when giving da'wah. Ok if you obviously see someone doing the exact same thing they are advising you against then yes, they have issues and you may lose respect for that person and not listen to them, but the person may be newly practicing and want to share what they have learnt for some it might help and reinforce them.

I'm just saying that thinking that of someone may change your perception of them altogether and will change the way you deal with them etc etc, sometimes it's better to think the best of the person and make excuses inshaAllah.

Comment

One thing is for sure; we (who aren’t like that) are "cooler than thou" by default. :D Anyway, there is a BIG difference between giving naseeha/dawah and that attitude. Also I too disagree that only people who are fully practicing and perfect themselves can "enjoin the good and forbid the evil." Since nobody like that exists the catch is that nobody can do the aforementioned Islamic duty. Sure if they are not practicing and extremely selective (we’re all selective to some extent, imo) that would make them hypocritical ( the ayah, “why do you preach what you do not do yourself?”, comes to mind) but people shouldn’t use that to deride the "enjoining good and forbid the evil" if it’s sound, as people often do. -- $0.02 :)
                          "Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, "Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?"...God said, "I did do something. I made you."" -- Sufi Teaching

Comment

I understand some people may be labelled as having a holier than thou attitude, but really, there is a reason behind this labelling...

If someone wants to give dawah, there is a way to do it. There is a way to approach a person so that they do not feel like u are patronising or actin all holier than thou.

Sis hayaa, u make a good point of thinking the best of people and making excuses. So when a person does give dawah or advice, they should think about how they will do so in a manner which doesn't make the other person feel uncomfortable.
                            "Ask the people of remembrance if you do not know" - Surah Anbiya, 7

Comment

Also, given that religion can really bring out the worst in some people, especially youth, care should be taken to emphasize that low class is NOT the hallmark of a believer by religious educators, whoever (scholars) and whatever (books) it may be.:up:
                              "Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, "Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?"...God said, "I did do something. I made you."" -- Sufi Teaching

Comment

Working...
                              X