Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 Soon, i want a job.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Soon, i want a job.

    Assalamualaykum,

    Inshallah, i will be 16 years old in a few days. I can't wait!!! :inlove:

    Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to request feedback from those of you that have had a temporary summer job somewhere. It would be nice if you could share your experiences, and explain to us what you hoped to gain when you were fulfilling your temp. job and whether you gained them or not.

    Basically, i want/need a job, NOT for the money, but to gain some confidence and experience. I crave a challenging and interesting job that will help me achieve these goals. The thought of sitting home all summer - before college starts in late August - is disheartening. Seriously, i want to manage my time efficiently. I don't want to sit at home watching tv/playing games/surf the net all day. That's not a life!

    Anyway, i eagerly anticipate your comments. Jazakullah. :up:


  • #2
    Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

    Retail

    You might think it's boring but can be very exciting, keep you on your toes, excellent way to increase confidence as you're dealing with members of the public, customer queries, unhappy customers etc on a daily basis

    it CAN be great, depending on where you end up working and who your fellow work mates are

    also, if you end up working in a small store, you will have the oppertunity to do more paperwork like monthly sales tally on graphs, percentages sales every month, like how much your profts increased since last month/year or how much loss did you make? etc

    other skills- handling cash (shows you're responsible and trustworthy as well as having average mathematics skills)

    Places to get a job:

    > try local shopping outlets because they have looaaddss of stores under 1 roof, so you'll be able to apply for loadsa places

    always apply for more than 1 job, its not easy to get a job so you dont wanna just keep your hopes on 1, apply for alot

    > Comets/currys/pc world etc are quite good because you're able to 'advise' customers on products, so this will deffo boost your confidence.

    > sports shops

    I would say avoid big department stores like debenhams etc because you have less oppertunity to shine as they have sooo many workers and theres a bigger emphasis on who is a assistant, who is manager who is dep manager etc and you dont wanna work somewhere there is hierachy because as a 16 yr old you'll get told to make the coffees/teats etc and basically taken advantage of..especially when they know itsyour first job

    It'd also be great if you had a friend or 2 who worked with you...if they have more than 1 vacancy! you dont wanna end up competing

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

      I don't know where you live, London vs suburbs, but I used to take summer jobs for landscapers. Physical work, decent pay, outdoors, etc....only downside, for me at the time, was I worked long hours.
      “Fear your sins more than you fear the enemy as your sins are more dangerous to you than your enemy. We Muslims are only victorious over our enemy because their sins outnumber ours, not for any other reason. If our sins were equal to those of our enemy, then they would defeat us due to their superior numbers and resources.”
      ~ Umar bin Al-Khattab (RA)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

        you need to apply now cos all the student brigade are looking for jobs in summer. :up:
        Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

          Yep that's true, almost EVERYONE is out and about in the next couple of months so be quick about it! Are you in england? if you are try gumtree.com.
          This thread makes me feel old :¬|
          It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
          -Muslim



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

            Originally posted by Robotnik View Post
            Retail

            You might think it's boring but can be very exciting, keep you on your toes, excellent way to increase confidence as you're dealing with members of the public, customer queries, unhappy customers etc on a daily basis

            it CAN be great, depending on where you end up working and who your fellow work mates are

            also, if you end up working in a small store, you will have the oppertunity to do more paperwork like monthly sales tally on graphs, percentages sales every month, like how much your profts increased since last month/year or how much loss did you make? etc

            other skills- handling cash (shows you're responsible and trustworthy as well as having average mathematics skills)

            Places to get a job:

            > try local shopping outlets because they have looaaddss of stores under 1 roof, so you'll be able to apply for loadsa places

            always apply for more than 1 job, its not easy to get a job so you dont wanna just keep your hopes on 1, apply for alot

            > Comets/currys/pc world etc are quite good because you're able to 'advise' customers on products, so this will deffo boost your confidence.

            > sports shops

            I would say avoid big department stores like debenhams etc because you have less oppertunity to shine as they have sooo many workers and theres a bigger emphasis on who is a assistant, who is manager who is dep manager etc and you dont wanna work somewhere there is hierachy because as a 16 yr old you'll get told to make the coffees/teats etc and basically taken advantage of..especially when they know itsyour first job

            It'd also be great if you had a friend or 2 who worked with you...if they have more than 1 vacancy! you dont wanna end up competing
            Jazakullah for this 'packed-with-detail' post. Yes, i did consider working for a retail outlet; it's definitely one option i'll consider. Friends. That's another point i've already considered. I wouldn't be very content working at a place where i'd probably feel desolated, isolated, rejected and taken advantage of. You also mention that that i shouldn't work a big department stores. Initially, I thought the prospect seemed very enticing, but now you've enlightened me with the downsides of working there i fully appreciate where you're coming from and that's another thing for me to consider. Hmmm...
            Last edited by MrOnline; 23-05-08, 08:33 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

              Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
              you need to apply now cos all the student brigade are looking for jobs in summer. :up:
              Good point. :up:

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                Originally posted by Hiking View Post
                Yep that's true, almost EVERYONE is out and about in the next couple of months so be quick about it! Are you in england? if you are try gumtree.com.
                This thread makes me feel old :¬|
                Yeah, i'm in England atm. Jazakullah for the linkage to that site. Inshallah, i'll check it out. :up:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                  Coming from someone who's never had a job in his life, take this cautiously.

                  But if you seriously don't care about the money, there's little better you can do than work with a charity. Most charities are willing to take on volunteers, whether that's in their shops or in their offices. You'd be making a difference to them, and hopefully learning something.

                  Don't take it too seriously though - jobs don't teach you much, especially at that age, and frankly they're normally a waste of time. You could be doing plenty of more interesting things - although you probably won't.

                  Try Muslim Aid, they normally take people willing to do some voluntary work - don't expect it to be exciting stuff though.

                  Cancer research used to take people on, don't know if they still do. Oxfam obviously do so too.
                  ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.


                  "Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
                  a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
                  worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
                  a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
                  and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

                  -- Jerome K. Jerome
                  (Three Men in a Boat)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                    Originally posted by Joha View Post
                    Coming from someone who's never had a job in his life, take this cautiously.
                    omg... seriously?? (sorry not to be rude, i am just suprised tho :p)

                    but yeh charity work may be a good suggestion, because u can get reward for that. if u dont need the money it will be a good thing to do.

                    retail is an okay idea, its easy to get a job in that area usually. also jobs which can b easy to get without experience are something like call centres, or coffee shops, cafe.. that kind of thing
                    .: Rufaida :.
                    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
                    ~ Ibn Atallah

                    Ramadan Activities for Children
                    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                      Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                      omg... seriously?? (sorry not to be rude, i am just suprised tho :p)
                      heh...never could be bothered, rarely spent holidays here so didn't really have any time. Besides, the first time I was introduced to people actually working whilst at school was when I started university and found most people had had jobs . Nobody I knew at school had worked.

                      Hasn't made much of a difference though, well, maybe - still need to learn about money, never having earned any - don't quite know its value...coupla other lessons, otherwise turned out okay :D
                      ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.


                      "Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
                      a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
                      worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
                      a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
                      and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

                      -- Jerome K. Jerome
                      (Three Men in a Boat)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                        Originally posted by Joha View Post
                        heh...never could be bothered, rarely spent holidays here so didn't really have any time. Besides, the first time I was introduced to people actually working whilst at school was when I started university and found most people had had jobs . Nobody I knew at school had worked.

                        Hasn't made much of a difference though, well, maybe - still need to learn about money, never having earned any - don't quite know its value...coupla other lessons, otherwise turned out okay :D

                        how old are you...what do you do with your lfie?
                        May Allah Bless Us All.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                          Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                          how old are you...what do you do with your lfie?
                          I think Joha's studying. Alhumdulillah.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                            Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                            how old are you...what do you do with your lfie?
                            lol, don't worry, I exaggerate when I say I'm a layabout...I study, and InshaAllah I shall continue studying for the foreseeable future. It's much more fun than joining in the rat race :p

                            alternatively I wouldn't mind being a gypsy, but we digress. Get back to topic!
                            ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.


                            "Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
                            a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
                            worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
                            a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
                            and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

                            -- Jerome K. Jerome
                            (Three Men in a Boat)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 16 Soon, i want a job.

                              :start:


                              :wswrwb:

                              :sub: i remember my first summer job it was truly amazing, i ended up with a small company and most of them were Muslims, i was 17 when i had this job, not 16 and it was so laid-back, i spent that summer browsing online, learning a ton of stuff - the job was a dead end i remmeber going to the library (which was 10 minutes) away every day nearly and getting loads of books to read.

                              THe brother who would lock up the place would go to the Masjid to read Jumaah and so would give me a 2 hour break for this too :p

                              Basically i got paid for doing...nothing really

                              i got really really good references though and that's what you're looking for really to have a good time :insha: and the employer being impressed with you :insha:

                              :wswrwb:
                              Last edited by *IslamicGirl*; 23-05-08, 10:06 PM.
                              Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him :inlove: (33:56)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X