Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt

Salam alekum

I'm off there in a week and a half....:hidban: and getting excited now.....

I've learned some basic Arabic and will be learning a bit more....shokran to all those who've helped with that btw.

I'll be visiting Cairo by shuttle bus and Luxor by plane from where I'm based in Sharm.

I've got the basic stuff sorted....my wife is taking stuff that will cover her shoulders, legs and head when not at the beach/pool, I've got shorts that go past the knees. Got to pick up rehydration salts and plenty of suncream.

Any tips on places to visit, things to see, places to eat, useful phrases, etc. would all be most welcome.

Jazakallah Khair! :up:

Re: Egypt

Originally posted by Eedj View Post
    Salam alekum

I've learned some basic Arabic and will be learning a bit more....shokran to all those who've helped with that btw.

I'll be visiting Cairo by shuttle bus and Luxor by plane from where I'm based in Sharm.

I've got the basic stuff sorted....my wife is taking stuff that will cover her shoulders, legs and head when not at the beach/pool, I've got shorts that go past the knees. Got to pick up rehydration salts and plenty of suncream.

Any tips on places to visit, things to see, places to eat, useful phrases, etc. would all be most welcome.

Make sure you stay at the grand hyatt as the saudi owner has banned all alcohol, and so his business is slightly suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by Eedj View Post
      Salam alekum

theres this place in luxor...this olden temple..where the pharoes used ta do ther stuff...and on top theyv built this mosque. its stunning at sunset cause the suns glitterin off the dome, an tha adhan, an u can see this old history temple...an all of that...

oh...u also gotta visit alexandria...thers sallah-uddins citadel ther:)
      "Do not lose hope in adversity and complain that God singled you out for punishment, remitting others guilty of worse sins.Your present state could very well be His intent to elevate your spiritual station; or He could just be testing your faith. Everyday that you persevere, you grow closer to perfection.Thus your present despair may be beginning of an infinite blessing.":love:

Comment

Originally posted by saladin1970 View Post
        Make sure you stay at the grand hyatt as the saudi owner has banned all alcohol, and so his business is slightly suffering.
        So I read! I don't mind if a hotel in a Muslim country wants to do that as it's their decision and I respect that. It certainly wouldn't put me off visiting somewhere if they don't serve alcohol.

I must admit I do drink (I'm non-Muslim) but pretty rarely.

I do have a glass of wine with a meal (but I'm told it's £15-18 a bottle there so won't be doing that often!!). Plus it's so hot, I don't want to dehydrate myself too much....

I have been told to try the sheesha bars there instead of going to nightclubs and it seems a relaxing way of enjoying an evening...

Comment

Originally posted by bitter_sweet View Post
          theres this place in luxor...this olden temple..where the pharoes used ta do ther stuff...and on top theyv built this mosque. its stunning at sunset cause the suns glitterin off the dome, an tha adhan, an u can see this old history temple...an all of that...

oh...u also gotta visit alexandria...thers sallah-uddins citadel ther:)
          :up:

I'll look out for the stuff in Luxor. Don't know if I'll get the chance to Alexandria but I'd love to. Depends on money and time as we're only there for nine days!!

Comment

i can recommend loads of places in Cairo and Alexandria
            My toughest fight was with my first wife.

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Nasser View Post
              i can recommend loads of places in Cairo and Alexandria
              Excellent...Cairo would be good as we're going there for a day or two, many thanks!!

Comment

have a good time :D
                we were there a couple of months ago, just in cairo. some nice places there are al azhar mosque and to hav a look around that area, and ibn tulun mosque, beautiful buildings :up:
                btw citadel is in cairo aswell, not in alex like someone said...
                about the arabic try to speak egyptian dialect bc if u speak only proper fusha there are some ppl who actually wont understand it, to the extent that they dont know what u are on about so u have to egyptianify it sometimes to make the communication work.
                oh and one final thing, sometimes ppl will try to ask u really crazy prices... so dont just agree to that, only pay them what u want to pay. for example jst tell the price u actually want, and if they dnt agree it walk off & some ppl will run out the shop after u cos they just want u to buy it, so dnt let ppl rip u off.
                .: Rufaida :.
                .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
                ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

actually there is a citadel in Alexandria....right on the beach

http://www.ask-aladdin.com/qaitbay.html
                  Last edited by Al-Nasser; 23-05-08, 07:45 PM.

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

oh okay but is it salahuddin ayyubi one, bc that is in cairo aswel. so there are two??
                    ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

no...the one in Alexandria was built by Al-Ashraf Qaitbay

the one in Cairo (which is bigger) was built by Saladin and was expanded as far as i know by Muhammad Ali (the 19th century great ruler of Egypt)

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                        have a good time :D
                        we were there a couple of months ago, just in cairo. some nice places there are al azhar mosque and to hav a look around that area, and ibn tulun mosque, beautiful buildings :up:
                        btw citadel is in cairo aswell, not in alex like someone said...
                        about the arabic try to speak egyptian dialect bc if u speak only proper fusha there are some ppl who actually wont understand it, to the extent that they dont know what u are on about so u have to egyptianify it sometimes to make the communication work.
                        oh and one final thing, sometimes ppl will try to ask u really crazy prices... so dont just agree to that, only pay them what u want to pay. for example jst tell the price u actually want, and if they dnt agree it walk off & some ppl will run out the shop after u cos they just want u to buy it, so dnt let ppl rip u off.
                        Completely agree with this! I come from an egyptian family, but as soon as we open our mouths they can tell we're not from there. So be careful, never give up haggling!
                        Patience...

Comment

yeh ppl also thought i was egyptian til i opened my mouth, but im not :p even in umrah alot of ppl were guessing "r u egyptian?" lol
                          ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

yeh ppl also thought i was egyptian til i opened my mouth, but im not :p even in umrah alot of ppl were guessing "r u egyptian?" lol
                            Aw, It's nice to know i generally blend in though when i go there :p
                            You can speak arabic fluently cant you?
                            Patience...

Comment

oh okay but is it salahuddin ayyubi one, bc that is in cairo aswel. so there are two??
                              when we visited last year, i think we visited 3 or something in cairo, alexandria, luxor..e.t.c....i think there may be more than 3 aswell...dunnow though...
                              "Do not lose hope in adversity and complain that God singled you out for punishment, remitting others guilty of worse sins.Your present state could very well be His intent to elevate your spiritual station; or He could just be testing your faith. Everyday that you persevere, you grow closer to perfection.Thus your present despair may be beginning of an infinite blessing.":love:

Comment

Working...
                              X