Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turkey trip

salams

looking to visit istanbul for a week in july inshaAllah.
    what is there to do there?
    can anyone recommend some good hotels please, preferably 4 star.
    how do u get around?
    is it expensive?

any turks in the house who can provide some inside info?

jzk

Re: turkey trip

Originally posted by Milly View Post

is it expensive?

never been, but many peeps I know have. if you go to the suks (market), be prepared to do lots of haggling.

but other wise most prices are similar to UK .

some reviews here

http://www.holidaywatchdog.com/Istan...views-650.html
    Coffe and a slice of your finest cake :-)

Comment

Well I promise, you will love the town. I guess it would be the best if you do first a plan of all interest places which you want to see. You should visit the Aya Sofia, the Blue Mosque and especially the Topkapi museum.

Actually it is quite easy to come around. But do not take taxis, cause a lot of taxi drivers are trying to gouge someone, especially the tourists. So I guess trams and busses are the best alternative to come around and it is quite cheap.

Comment

jzk for that.

all of the food outlets are halal right? i am always weary of such places as in the UK alot of the turkish establishments cannot be trusted (not HMC certified) - sorry if this causes offence to anyone, i am simply relaying the facts. i have experienced this first hand!

for anyone who has visited, which area is best to stay at? most convenient and in close proximity to all touristy things?

would u stay in the old or new city?

anything else i should know?

ta

Comment

all of the food outlets are halal right?
          No, my Turkish friends told me they eat pork in Turkey.

I found this article for you:

The demise of Turkey's pork butchers
          The role of Islam in Turkish society is a subject of continual debate. Secularists are protesting against what they see as the government's increasingly Islamic agenda, and as Sarah Rainsford found out, the latest battleground could be across the butcher's counter.

Lazari Kozmaoglu butcher's shop
          Current legislation is threatening Turkey's pork butchers
          "We're going filming at a pork butcher's and a pig farm," I told my Turkish cameraman in a text message. Slightly anxious, I added: "Is that OK with you?"

A moment later a message from Gokhan flashed back.

"Yes," he wrote. "I like a good pork steak!"

He is not the only one.

Another Turkish friend told me that eating pork, which is forbidden by Islam, is increasingly popular in secular high society here.

She described this as an act of defiance by some Turks who fear religious dictates have begun creeping into their lives since a government led by devout Muslims took power.

But those people could soon be looking for a new way to rebel because Turkey's pork industry is on the brink of extinction.

Shrinking business

Lazari Kozmaoglu describes himself as the last pork butcher in Istanbul.

Lazari Kozmaoglu, a butcher
          Lazari Kozmaoglu has worked as a butcher for 40 years
          We met at his unmarked shop, in the shadow of a towering, Orthodox church. Outside, hungry-looking cats sat pawing the window.

As Lazari showed me round, he reminisced about the cosmopolitan Istanbul of his youth - filled with ethnic Armenians and local Greeks like himself. The days when the pork business was booming.

Many of those Christians have long since left or been forced out. But Lazari stayed on.

Curiously, all the other slaughter houses that once dealt with pork have been closed too
          For more than 40 years he has been selling pork to his own fast-shrinking Christian community, to defiant Muslims, and to foreigners. Now, he is being squeezed out of business.

Lazari's being prevented from slaughtering pigs and the stock of meat in his freezer is running critically low.

He owns an abattoir but the Agriculture Ministry has refused him a licence to operate it, saying it does not meet strict new regulations.

Curiously, all the other slaughter houses that once dealt with pork have been closed too. Lazari's reluctant to say what he suspects is happening.

"There are only 2,000 Greeks left in Istanbul," he grumbled. "None of us dares speak out."

So a rare customer filled in the gaps.

"It's all about Islam," Sami said, as the shop assistant wrapped his sausages in greaseproof paper.

"Most people are more religious these days. They don't want to eat pork, and they don't let others produce it either."

In a typical "Istanbul" twist, the customer himself was Jewish. Behind him I spotted my Muslim colleagues - munching contentedly on ham sandwiches.

Conservative rule

Today's governing AK Party is far more conservative than my workmates.

It is extremely popular in rural Turkey, and with the new urban, religious-conservative middle-class here.

But the AKP's leaders once belonged to a more radical, pro-Islamic party, and strictly secular Turks suspect their agenda has not changed.

To such sceptics, the fate of the pork business is proof.

A couple of hours' drive towards the Bulgarian border, I found a farm that seemed at first to be thriving.

Zafer, a farmer
          Despite an ever increasing number, Zafer is unable to sell his pigs
          Trees heavy with honey-blossom did nothing to disguise the stink of some 300 pigs, snuffling through the mud for food.

"You'll find the smell addictive," Zafer the farmer laughed, as I tried in vain to block it out.

A lively man, with bushy brown curls, he invested heavily in his farm, spurred on by visions of British tourists breakfasting on his bacon, and diplomats barbecuing his pork chops.

But four years on, Zafer cannot sell a single animal for slaughter.

Just like Lazari with his abattoir, Zafer's farm has failed the new hygiene test.

On top of that the regulations now say you can only farm pigs if you say which abattoir will slaughter them: Catch-22 when they have already been closed.

Back in Istanbul, the local Agriculture Ministry man denied the situation's anything to do with Islam
          "The government doesn't announce out loud that it has banned the pig farms," Zafer told me.

"But at the end of the day, that's what's happened here. They're trying to send a message to their religious constituents," he said.

Back in Istanbul, the local agriculture ministry man denied the situation's anything to do with Islam.

He insists the regulations were introduced to bring Turkey up to European standards.

"We've got no problem with pork," Ahmet Kavak told me. "The farmers just need to meet the criteria."

Hope for resolution

As evidence, he claimed the ministry was now working closely with Lazari to help open his slaughter house.

If that does finally happen - after years of fruitless negotiation - the butcher believes farmers could be lured back to the pork business.

Zafer is ready and waiting.

"This lot are eating me out of house and home," he laughed, pointing to a wriggling pile of pink and black-spotted piglets. His herd keeps on expanding.

But Zafer's passionate about pig farming, so he keeps the animals as pets, holding out for a solution.

"The authorities thought we'd give up." Zafer told me.

Then, he continued, "at the elections, they could say: 'Look, we're Muslims, we finished off this business,' but we're still here - and determined to solve this".

He smiled as a three-day old piglet clambered across his feet, then trotted off after its mother across the field.
          Last edited by Anonymous2008; 19-05-08, 03:27 PM.

Comment

jzk for that.

all of the food outlets are halal right? i am always weary of such places as in the UK alot of the turkish establishments cannot be trusted (not HMC certified) - sorry if this causes offence to anyone, i am simply relaying the facts. i have experienced this first hand!

for anyone who has visited, which area is best to stay at? most convenient and in close proximity to all touristy things?

would u stay in the old or new city?

anything else i should know?

ta
            InshaAllah you will have an awesome trip to Turkey. My husband and I have visited twice so far and it's one of our fave holiday places. We have stayed at two hotels in the old town, where I think you should stay as a first-time visitor--otherwise you pay tooo much for transport to the main tourist spots. Both are 4 star: the Golden Tulip Eresin Topkapi (15 min tram ride from Aya Sofya masjid) and the Hotel Zeynep Sultan (3 min uphill walk to Aya Sofya masjid). We felt the staff at the Zeynep Sultan were much friendlier, but the breakfast at the Golden Tulip was fabulous. The rooms at the Zeynep Sultan are a tad cramped, but there's a 150 yr old masjid right next door--Zeynep Sultan Jaami (yes, there's womens section but no women's wudu area).

Ignore the pork comment. if it's pork, it will be clearly labeled, same goes for alcohol. while the govt takes great pains to be secular, the swarms of ppl in hijab n jilbab, bearded dudes confirms that majority of ppl are Muslim. The food is awesome! Also great is a local coffee chain called Kahve Dunyasi (often near a Starbucks!)--they do a mean Turkish coffee served with complimentary chocolate truffles and a lovely iced coffee frappe on a hot summer day. They have one outlet near the Osman gate of the Covered Bazaar. Lots of tasty and hygenic street food like grilled corn and fresh simit breads. And dondurma (ice cream)!

A great place to visit that is off the Western tourists' trail is the masjid of Eyup Sultan, he was the sahaba that was buried in Istanbul. Visit on a Thursday and you will find loads of families celebrating the circumcision of their little boys (aged 3-8) around area. Jolly atmosphere and they love seeing Muslims from other parts of world!

As far as pricing goes, it's very much like European prices. I feel it's better to holiday in Muslim country and have your tourist cash support Muslim businesses....;)

PM me if you want more info about Turkey. As I said earlier, Turkey is my family's fave holiday destination.

Comment

thanks for the info to the both of you.

i guess i have to be very careful when im there with regards to pork and stuff, a degree of common sense and intuition will have to be used. also if i am in any doubt, i will not go near the place. should be ok inshaAllah.

apricot, normally, the old city is very populated with alot of locals, making it quite rough for outsiders ( i know i felt uneasy in marrakesh at night visiting the old medina) is this the case here?

if u have time, can you please provide me with a 6 day itineary?

i am going with family (mum, sisters and brothers) - between the ages of 18-24 (except for mum ofcourse).

we like; culture, eating out, visiting landmarks, pampering (for the girlies), shopping - etc etc.

ws

jzk

Comment

when i went to istanbul i stayed at the following hotel www.hoteldaphne.com, it is beautiful and reasonable and only a short distance away from the blue mosqu and the bazaar its all so close by. Topkapi palace is a must and so is the islamic art museum which is in the main square.

Regarding food i had food poisoning when i was there and i did not like the food apart from macdonalds lol. Be careful and always double check.

Also sis make sure you visit the fish market, it is amazing and you get to eat fresh fish it is lovely lol

Have a great time
                [B][CENTER]When you attack black people they call it "RACISM" When you attack jewish people they call it "ANTI-SEMETISM"
                When you attack women they call it "SEXISM" BUT WHEN THEY ATTACK OUR BELOVED PROPHET MUHAMMAD (PEACE BE UPON HIM) THEY CALL IT "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

Hmm Turkey is a great place to visit....and I'm not just saying that because I'm Turkish

Be careful of taxi drivers - they KNOW you are a tourist so they may or may not charge you extra. Try to go on the coaches or mini buses that you see around - not hard to miss....they are white coaches.

As for the food......obviously it's halaal Food won't be a concern...pop into any restaurant and you'll be spoilt for choice :p

So many historic places to visit....especially the mosques...they are beautiful.

Have a great time Inshallah :)
                  Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Comment

assalam...so,ahlaaan to my country...of course u must care the foods,it is up to where u eat and which product...u will see lots of products are same in europe,especially in istanbul...there are some parts where motadayyen people live,u must visit there inshAllah...i can be sure about u will like eyup sulatan where there's hadhrat abu ayyub al-ansaree,sultan ahmad(blue mosque),sulaymaneyah of course...there are more and more,u will see inshAllah...if u were ukhtes all of u,i'd like to help u to stay in my house and take u to lots of places together...u can ask me what u need to know,inshAllah i will try the best to help u,wassalam...
                    ...فنعم المولى ونعم النصير...

Comment

assalam alaikum

i have a question

if some women who don't want to take off her veil in airport in turkey then is there any restriction???
                      would they allow us to enter airport wearing veil??

jazkumALLAH khair

Comment

salams

looking to visit istanbul for a week in july inshaAllah.
                        what is there to do there?
                        can anyone recommend some good hotels please, preferably 4 star.
                        how do u get around?
                        is it expensive?

any turks in the house who can provide some inside info?

jzk
                        salaam. Not sure if they stun the meat, but like most islamic countries, if they do stun they check that the animal is alive before slaughtering.

the mosques in istanbul are awesome (but unfortunately empty except for friday jummah).

for your research, go to youtube and look for mosques istanbul, and you will get a feel of what you like.

There is a very old but beautiful mosque hidden in the grand bazaar. Perhaps sada knows where it is .

oh and the fish restaurants on the bosphorous are very expensive, and taksim square is very western.

Comment

Originally posted by abood View Post
                          assalam alaikum

i have a question

if some women who don't want to take off her veil in airport in turkey then is there any restriction???
                          would they allow us to enter airport wearing veil??

jazkumALLAH khair
                          waalakessalam ukhte...ante bikhayr inshAllah,i haven't been there for a long time,but i remember u...
                          ur question can be changed,it is up to person who u connact with...there isn't any official rule about u have to leave ur veil but there are some rulers who dnt like İslamic clothes,especially like veil...they can say u that u have to show ur face to control if it is u or not,in photo,but as i said if u meet a good one and if u are with ur family so they dnt care of it,inshAllah...
                          ...فنعم المولى ونعم النصير...

Comment

Originally posted by sada View Post
                            waalakessalam ukhte...ante bikhayr inshAllah,i haven't been there for a long time,but i remember u...
                            ur question can be changed,it is up to person who u connact with...there isn't any official rule about u have to leave ur veil but there are some rulers who dnt like İslamic clothes,especially like veil...they can say u that u have to show ur face to control if it is u or not,in photo,but as i said if u meet a good one and if u are with ur family so they dnt care of it,inshAllah...
                            انا بخير الحمد الله... انتي ايشلونج؟
                            in here sister.. there women who sees the face of veil women to check ..

but is it same in turkey??

and what about couples.. would they check??

jazakALLAH khair

Comment

turkish Donner kebabs are awesome, nothing like what you get in the uk and quite healthy relatively speaking.

Dont get too worked up about the taxi drivers its the usual jingoistic cry of the tourist. Just make sure that you know how much it is from the airport to your hotel by googling or emailing the hotel and agree that with the taxi driver up front and once in your hotel just ask the front desk how much should it cost to get to wherever you want to go and that should be more than enough, you might get overcharged by 10% compared to locals but just think of it as supporting a muslim economy

Sultan Ahmet area of Istanbul is the best place to stay you can get to all the major historical sights and make sure you goto Sultan Ayyup to get at how the local turks live and a little bit away from the tourist traps, then there is a tube that takes you from taksim sqaure to all the posh shopping districts.

The People of Istanbul are very cosmopolitan and trendy with the exception of the minarets and a afew headscarves you would think that you was in any european city, funny thing is the people of London look more islamic than the Turks.

I visited Besiktas ground, (wouldnt reccommend on a match, very roudy)
                              When told that it was religiously permissible to say what pleases his persecuters without believing in it at the time of mihna, Ahmad ibn Hanbal said "If I remained silent and you remained silent, then who will teach the ignorant?".

Comment

Working...
                              X