Clear All

• Evidence A High-Fat Diet Works To Treat Epilepsy

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/he...th&oref=slogin

Re: Evidence A High-Fat Diet Works To Treat Epilepsy

side effects: heart attacks

right?

Comment

My son has tried the Keto Diet twice in his short life, in order to control his seizures. He didn't have success with it. Not because it didn't work, we did see a reduction in the frequency and severity, but because the diet is very difficult to follow. Everything, including liquids for most kids, has to be weighed out to the gram. Any deviation could cause seizures. The reason being, the diet becomes the medicine for the child, although my son was still on at least one med during each attempt.

Originally posted by Phoenix CG
      side effects: heart attacks

right?
      No, because they are children, cholesterol and heart issues are not a problem for most kids.

~ Umar bin Al-Khattab (RA)

Comment

No doubt high fat diet effects them in later life and increases risk of heart attacks, I don't mean immediate side effects, this comes in later life.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
          No doubt high fat diet effects them in later life and increases risk of heart attacks, I don't mean immediate side effects, this comes in later life.
          This is by no means a "new" diet. It has been thoroughly researched since it started coming into use back in the 1920's. It fell out of use for some years until the Japanese started to see very good results about 20+ years ago. The pre-eminent hospital, Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD, has been following their "children" into adulthood with very little risk effect.

Comment

oh well i guess that's alright then, cas normally you see those pics of them carrying on a high fat/unhealthy diet etc etc, you know them shows on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
              oh well i guess that's alright then, cas normally you see those pics of them carrying on a high fat/unhealthy diet etc etc, you know them shows on tv.
              I completely agree with you about those kids. There is a big difference when those kids are simply eating junk and are not active, etc. The difference with the diet is that the fat is being used by the body to keep the kids in the state of ketosis. Yes, my son gained some weight on the diet, but that is why all kids not only work with their epileptologists, but they work even closer with special dieticians who closely monitor the diet plans and blood workups. If my son wasn't going through it, the whole diet plan, including history of the diet, would be facinating. Example: the diet came to be by reading historical "medical records" where nomadic people with seizures (or whatever it was called over 1500-2000 years ago) had fewer seizures when travelling and on somewhat of a fast, than when they were in camp for a time.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X