Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members interested in history?

:salams

I really really like history. I love medieval european history, renaissance european history, and indian history and middle east history aswell. I aint some history geek but generally its a subject that I enjoy as a hobby.

In this light I joined a forum about it someplace but it feels weird. Are there any people here interested in similar stuff?

If you are lemme knw and we have a lil chat abt dis n dat ;)

safeties.

Medievalist.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation

Re: Members interested in history?

AssalamuAlaykum

Can we discuss Fish history please, like who was the 1st king/queen of fishdom?

WassalamuAlaykum
    s a b r

Comment

I love history :inlove:
      Aye the whole Renaissance and medicine through time and i know bits and bats bout the subcontinent
      Last edited by xyz; 03-05-08, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xyz View Post
        I love history :inlove:
        any particular periods in history?

Comment

Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
          any particular periods in history?
          A few mentioned in the previous post

Comment

do the people like spartans come into history:p

i like their battles, but history like the french revolution, hitler and omg the kings and queens of britain ... WHO CARES:p

Comment

xyz: Im guessing u did history of medicine for gcse or summat innit?

I dont know how much you know about european history but I recently finished a book on Marie Antoinette - the Queen of France who was executed by the Revolution. There's one part of French history that Im particularly interested in at moment - and thats the St Bartholomews Day Massacre and Catherine de Medici in general. Any idea what Im on about? If not thats ok - talk about a part your interested in, I get bored of having mindless convos with the drones around here **ladida** :P

Comment

Originally posted by LaFanGa View Post
                do the people like spartans come into history:p

i like their battles, but history like the french revolution, hitler and omg the kings and queens of britain ... WHO CARES:p
                yes they do but Im not too into that far back in history.

french revolution would be interesting but I aint read about it yet. Hitler was also intersting but again aint read on it.

Kings and Queens of Britain, well its so colourful that there's gotta be some bit that interests everyone - even if its just the fables of Arthur and the Knights of teh Roundtable **roll eyes**

Comment

I love history. The French Revolution is one of my favourite moments in history, there is a movie that does a good job with it. The Tudors is interesting, because King Henry changed Britain. Alexander the Great is one of my favourite historical figures, so learning about that time period is interesting. How Spain became Muslim is fascinating. Something more recent would be before World War 1, with Otto von Bismarck. That man was so smart when it comes to military tactics.

I really do like reading about history.
                  وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
                  "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
                  Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
                  [2:186]

.:.
                  .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                  Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Comment

Lol aye meddo i did medicine through time for gcse. I know bits of wat ur on about but my knowledge is very limited lol.

Anyhoww once ive finished my dissertation and assignments we could discuss this book :p

Comment

I love History as well - considered studying it at Uni but then later changed my mind.

What about the Ottoman History? That's really interesting

I love the whole Arab Israeli conflict - studied it for 2 years.

The Russian History...Tsar and the Romonov's....it's :up:

German history is horrid.....Hitler and so forth...but reading on Holocaust was pretty interesting.

British history is so boring :zzz:
                      Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Comment

Pippin: yay :hidban:

I don't know so much about french revolution. Kindly explain a bit - I'll tell you what I know at present.

Louis XV and Marie Antoinette basically deposed themselves. Well, Louis XV limited his own power to such an extent to appease the Revolutionaries that in the end they became powerful enough to charge him with treason to the state and have him executed. Marie Antoinette soon followed. There was a power struggle with different factions of the revolutionaries, some were complete republicans, others envisaged a role for the monarchy as nominal heads of state - like ours.

Then there was a restoration but it was Louis XVI cos he died, it was a branch from another family in House of Bourbon? How long was that restoration for because then they were kicked off aswell.

Napolean - whats his role? Twice I believe he was Emperor and twice he was removed? kindly explain.

and dont get me started on Henry VIII, guy was an expletive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubs View Post
                          I love History as well - considered studying it at Uni but then later changed my mind.

What about the Ottoman History? That's really interesting

I love the whole Arab Israeli conflict - studied it for 2 years.

The Russian History...Tsar and the Romonov's....it's :up:

German history is horrid.....Hitler and so forth...but reading on Holocaust was pretty interesting.

British history is so boring :zzz:
                          I dont know much about Ottomon history or even Ummayad, Abbasid history and those are the parts that I really wanna get my teeth into.
                          Russian history, again dont know so much - know some general stuff on Rasputin but thats general knowledge.

German history - well depends what part you looking at - prior to Germany proper the german states were part of the Holy Roman Empire and were closely linked with Spain which is something that one wouldnt think if you didnt read history.

Then there's the connections between Frane and Scotland and the politics behind the reformation and everything.

Comment

I knew Ottoman history, names, dates the works but getting rusty now :S
                            "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Comment

General: I think its important to understand how things happened in the past and to learn from it. Great leaders and great events have a vaste store of experience and knowledge that people today can benefit from.

Eg - the Saint Bartholomews Massacre in France - in brief thats where the Huguenots who were the Protestants in France, were lulled into a false sense of security and then massacred on the eve of a saints feast day. Its brutal and bloody, but you have to marvel at the political stroke that was achieved - in one night the Catholic monarchy literally obliterated the protestent/huguenot opposition. Genius.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X