Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brummie Accent Makes you Sound Stupid

Originally posted by Joha View Post
    ooh, I was itching for somebody to quote that (last time I quoted Professor Higgins I was lambasted as a sexist misogynist :D - None of this lot could see it as satire.)

Must see clip for anybody who hasn't seen 'My Fair Lady'!

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWPgUyK7DY

One of my favourite scenes - absolute genius!
    I had forgotten that scene.. and you are right.. it's a supurb scene.. though I can imagine why many would not like it if they don't understand the movie.
    http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Comment

Brummie accent is perceived as 'worse than silence'

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle3671116.ece

lol brummie accent is worse then silence?! thats a bit harsh

heres a brummie ( birmingham) accent for all the non brits :up: ( opens in real player)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/real...y/dudley_3.ram
      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

In my book, the American accent (not the Southern one) is the best, while the Scottish one is hardest to understand. I had trouble watching Brave Heart. Does plain English exist anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by `asiya View Post
          Brummie accent is perceived as 'worse than silence'

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle3671116.ece

lol brummie accent is worse then silence?! thats a bit harsh

heres a brummie ( birmingham) accent for all the non brits :up: ( opens in real player)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/real...y/dudley_3.ram
          is the link working? I tried it but it says the server isn't there?

Comment

Originally posted by carol_au View Post
            is the link working? I tried it but it says the server isn't there?
            just tried it now works for me sis , do u have real player ?
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Comment

Originally posted by `asiya View Post
              just tried it now works for me sis , do u have real player ?
              good point. I used to.. till it was removed by someone trying to help me get media player to work properly.. jazak Allah khair.

Comment

oh u should be able to run both media player and real player on your computer insha Allah, u can download an earlier version here that takes up very little memory try the 1.0 or the 3

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=real

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

Originally posted by ummbilal View Post
                  i dont like my london accent it sounds harsh, i love the west country accent it sounds so friendly and soft.

i always get told i sound 'posh' whatever that means, i don't think London accent is harsh i like it pretty standard most people understand what your saying

i like accents they are kool, but not too strong that you can't understand what the person is saying

i like the irish accent and the french/spanish accent when they speak english sounds kool
                  Bye bye :salams

Comment

sorry guys and girls .. I have to reply with this

:Professor Henry Higgens: All right, Eliza, say it again.
                    Eliza Doolittle: The rine in spine sties minely in the pline.
                    Professor Henry Higgens[sighs] The *rain* in *Spain* stays *mainly* in the *plain*.
                    Eliza Doolittle: Didn't ah sy that?
                    Professor Henry Higgens: No, Eliza, you didn't "sy" that, you didn't even "say" that. Now every night before you get into bed, where you used to say your prayers, I want you to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" fifty times. You'll get much further with the Lord if you learn not to offend His ears.

(from My Fair Lady)
                    :rotfl: i love pygmalion

sigpic

Do not try to run away from trials and tribulations, but endure them with patience. They cannot be avoided, and there is nothing for it but to endure them with patience. How can you expect the whole of this world, and all that has been created therein, to undergo change and transformation just to suit your convenience? The Prophets are the best of all creatures, yet they have always had to suffer afflictions and so it is for their followers, those who tread in their footsteps as they walk along their highway, emulating their example.

Shaikh Abdul Qadir al-Jilani

Comment

Originally posted by Eemaan View Post
                      :rotfl: i love pygmalion
                      :D I thought of you when I posted that post about Eliza .. am so glad you appreciated it..

Comment

Is it the same Eliza from the Wild Thornberrys?

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Sina View Post
                          sounds like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/real...y/dudley_3.ram[/QUOTE]

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Sina View Post
                            No .. this is Eliza Doolittle .. here is a link to the story of the musical that we are talking

about.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058385/plotsummary

A chance meeting between two noted British linguists, Prof. Henry Higgins and Col. Hugh Pickering, leads to a wager that will test Higgins' skills. After they hear a cockney flower girl caterwaul in the street, Higgins proposes to transform the girl, Eliza Doolittle, into a refined Victorian lady with an aristocratic accent. After some hesitation Eliza agrees to become their test case.

The movie/musical is about how he goes about it and all the things that happen on the way to achieving his goal. Her family's reactions to it and even her own reactions. It is about how inncocence and purity can overcome snobbery and prejudice in my mind. I'm sure it means much more.. but for a 1960's musical it sure has hung around.

All this talk about different English accents and how to improve them.. couldn't but help make me think of this story.

Comment

All this talk about different English accents and how to improve them.. couldn't but help make me think of this story.
                              Just to add to that, the musical is based on a play by George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion... a brilliant play, one of the best I've read or seen! Quite short too, so if any of you have some free time, read it. It's better than the musical!
                              ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
                              a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
                              worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
                              a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
                              and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
                              (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X