• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brummie Accent Makes you Sound Stupid

errr yeah we knew that

and the Yahorkshire accent is the most intelligent one :inlove:

Thick Folk From Brum

The Brummie accent makes people sound so stupid that they would actually seem cleverer if they said nothing at all, boffins reckon. :rofl1:
    Ozzy has a strong Brummie accent
    Ozzy has a strong Brummie accent

Scientists matched up regional accents with perceived intelligence and found that people with Birmingham accents are better off keeping schtum if they want to give a good impression.

But people from Yorkshire can blab with confidence - their accent is apparently the most intelligent-sounding.

It even beat the clipped vowels and precise diction of received pronunciation (RP), known commonly as the Queen's English.

Scientists asked 48 volunteers to look at photos of female models while listening to recordings of women with different accents talking about their lives.

Those questioned were also asked to give an intelligence rating when no voice was played.

The average intelligence ratings given by the study participants, out of 10, were: Yorkshire 6.71, RP 6.67, Silence 5.99 and Birmingham 5.6.

To avoid participants being influenced by appearance, models of roughly equal attractiveness were chosen for the photos, and the accents attributed to them were mixed up.

The researchers found accents made no difference to perceptions of attractiveness, but had a significant impact on whether or not a particular model was seen as intelligent.

Dr Lance Workman, who led the research at Bath Spa University, said: "One of the reasons for doing this study was to find out about stereotypes.

"Surveys have shown that a lot of people associate Birmingham with criminal activity, and they associate criminal activity with low intelligence. Whenever I've been to Birmingham I've found people to be very bright and friendly."

Famous past and present Brummies include former PM Neville Chamberlain, controversial politician Enoch Powell, comedian Jasper Carrott, pop star Ozzy Osbourne, and Clare Short, independent MP for Birmingham Ladywood.

sigpic

Do not try to run away from trials and tribulations, but endure them with patience. They cannot be avoided, and there is nothing for it but to endure them with patience. How can you expect the whole of this world, and all that has been created therein, to undergo change and transformation just to suit your convenience? The Prophets are the best of all creatures, yet they have always had to suffer afflictions and so it is for their followers, those who tread in their footsteps as they walk along their highway, emulating their example.

Shaikh Abdul Qadir al-Jilani

Re: Brummie Accent Makes you Sound Stupid

Let's hope you didn't pick that dodgy accent up when you visited last week then . . . :p

Comment

All British and Aussie accents make you sound stupid!

Comment

Amreekans sound thickest of all IMO. And IMO Yorkies don't sound particularly bright either :p
        How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck couldn't chuck wood? :banbear:

Comment

Ofcourse, us Londoners sound the smartest and we are the brightest. :p
          Last edited by Phoenix CG; 04-04-08, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Sina View Post
            All British and Aussie accents make you sound stupid!
            I think you mean Southern parts of the US make you sound stupid. Or apparently some folks here in Canada too.
            وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
            "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
            Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
            [2:186]

.:.
            .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
            Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Comment

Originally posted by Eemaan View Post
              errr yeah we knew that

and the Yahorkshire accent is the most intelligent one :inlove:

Famous past and present Brummies include former PM Neville Chamberlain,
              Agreed about Brummies (Neville Chamberlain wasn't exactly the smartest pm of the lot), but let's put things in perspective here...

It's a remarkable feat for a yahorkshire man to even begin to make sentences, let alone speech...so all things considered, pretty intelligent :D
              ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
              a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
              worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
              a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
              and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
              (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                I think you mean Southern parts of the US make you sound stupid. Or apparently some folks here in Canada too.
                lol ur right, southers are by far the worst ....

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                  I think you mean Southern parts of the US make you sound stupid.
                  Originally posted by Ibn Sina View Post
                  lol ur right, southers are by far the worst ....
                  False. I love my West Virginian accent.

Those South Africans though... :p
                  "The Jew cries out as he strikes you."

Remove matzo

Comment

:start:

:salams

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
                    Ofcourse, us Londoners sound the smartest and we are the brightest. :p
                    Not if you sound like a chav that's dropped from an eastenders set :D

'alright mate....'

Bleugh :p

:wswrwb:
                    Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him :inlove: (33:56)

Comment

This makes me laugh. Shakespeare would have sounded West Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by *IslamicGirl* View Post

Not if you sound like a chav that's dropped from an eastenders set :D

'alright mate....'

Bleugh :p

haha, what the cockney accent? yeah they suck :p. nah I mean normal london accent :p care for some tea and crumpets?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
                          haha, what the cockney accent? yeah they suck :p. nah I mean normal london accent :p care for some tea and crumpets?
                          Can i exchange the crumpets for cookies? :D

I think accents are generally nice- people from all walks of life have the most intriguing way to pronounce things and make them sound interesting :masha:

Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him :inlove: (33:56)

Comment

I have to say scoucers sound the most unintelligent to me, my mums family are from liverpool and despite the fact my uncle is a doctor of pathology i cant get over his accent doh

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Basil al-Mamluk View Post
                              False. I love my West Virginian accent.

Those South Africans though... :p
                              Hey dont make fun of our South African accents

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X