Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microwave and safety???

help please!!!
    i bought a new microwave and discovered that the light turns on when i open its door, and it makes sound like it should when it is working. i closed it immediately because i thought it should only light up when it is closed and started. i called the customer service and they are just giving me different numbers to call and its kind of frustrating if each person gives me another number to call. the model is LG [life's good]. does any one here have same make? does it light up on opening? or does that mean i am being exposed to microwave energy? the manual reads that microwave energy is only produced when the door is locked and that it automatically stops being produced if the door is accidentally opened during operation so am confused and scared. please any expert advice will be appreciated.

Re: microwave and safety???

when the door is open it light should automatically get OFF. anyhow try to contact the dealers sister. sister if possible let us know the MODEL NUMBER.
    Last edited by ammarcool; 03-04-08, 10:18 AM.

Comment

well before you do that - easy way of checking, put a croissant or something that'll very quickly heat up into the microwave - open the door making sure you're either behind the microwave or on the side protected by the door. Shut door after a couple of seconds (without getting your hands or anything on the open side) - and test your croissant :up:

And if it is switching on when you open the door - LG have unknowingly flouted like a dozen safety/quality control regulations, don't let 'em take it away, report it to trading standards or something. That's really dangerous!
      ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
      a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
      worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
      a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
      and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
      (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

my microwave, the light comes on, when u open the door, so u can see whats inside...
        i will bear any ordeal, but i will not beg

Watch the game, Learn the game, Control the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ibn suleman View Post
          my microwave, the light comes on, when u open the door, so u can see whats inside...
          Yup same here
          Guantanamo Justice Centre

Comment

Originally posted by ammarcool View Post
            when the door is open it light should automatically get OFF. anyhow try to contact the dealers sister. sister if possible let us know the MODEL NUMBER.
            thanks, the light is off if the door is closed. it only comes on when it i open the door or if it is started. i tried unplugging and then opening the door and placing the food inside, closing and then replugging before starting, just to be on the safe side, the model number is MS-2042GB and MS-2042GZ. I am still trying to contact them, but the last number they gave me is a mobile number which has been switched off.:(

Comment

Originally posted by Joha View Post
              well before you do that - easy way of checking, put a croissant or something that'll very quickly heat up into the microwave - open the door making sure you're either behind the microwave or on the side protected by the door. Shut door after a couple of seconds (without getting your hands or anything on the open side) - and test your croissant :up:

And if it is switching on when you open the door - LG have unknowingly flouted like a dozen safety/quality control regulations, don't let 'em take it away, report it to trading standards or something. That's really dangerous!
              thanks, but does it mean its only the direct exposure that is dangerous? i have been soo scare cos i thought you aint supposed to be exposed to it at all?

Comment

sis the sounds is probably a fan or something and nothing to be worried about. when i finish using my microwave is continues to make the fan noise for a minute or so. its normal.
                Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers. - 3.151

Comment

test it,
                  put your mobile inside the microwave and shut the door(DO NOT TURN IT ON TO HEAT UP!!!!!!!!!!!) then call your mobile from a landline, if it rings your microwave isnt sealed preoperly and the microwaves are leaking,
                  if you've just bought it take it back with the reciept to where you got it from and demand a replacement or refund.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO:up:

Comment

Originally posted by binta View Post
                    thanks, but does it mean its only the direct exposure that is dangerous? i have been soo scare cos i thought you aint supposed to be exposed to it at all?
                    It's always dangerous - but not *that* dangerous - if you're standing behind it you can do a fairly safe test.

Here - have a look at this, apparently doors do fail but the microwave doesn't actually switch on - just the fan and light.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t124723...when_door_open

-- Jerome K. Jerome
                    (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Originally posted by ummbilal View Post
                      test it,
                      put your mobile inside the microwave and shut the door(DO NOT TURN IT ON TO HEAT UP!!!!!!!!!!!) then call your mobile from a landline, if it rings your microwave isnt sealed preoperly and the microwaves are leaking,
                      if you've just bought it take it back with the reciept to where you got it from and demand a replacement or refund.
                      jazakAllah khair, sister, i tried the test and it rang! so its not supposed to ring if its well sealed? never heard of that, OMG. i have to take it back then. insha Allah khair.

Comment

i googled the test and got this link

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...ykkFimaH1aVZ8w

but the first comment on it was

My brother saw the video and he tried to do it..
                        Unfortunatly there was an explosion..he died..we'll provide you with new info asap

my guess is he switched on or something. just thought to share, may Allah protect us, amin.

Comment

Originally posted by binta View Post
                          but the first comment on it was

My brother saw the video and he tried to do it..
                          Unfortunatly there was an explosion..he died..we'll provide you with new info asap

my guess is he switched on or something. just thought to share, may Allah protect us, amin.
                          the guy's joking (or lying) - I saw that comment too...

but Jk for sharing.

-- Jerome K. Jerome
                          (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

LG are horrendous, thats just a personal opinion from having to process so many returns of their products, take it to the shop with your reciept, if its under 28 days old you can get your money back, over 28 days exchange for a different make/repair
                            "If you have burned the Jews, why don't you give a piece of Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to Israel. Our question is, if you have committed this huge crime, why should the innocent nation of Palestine pay for this crime?"

http://muslimwiki.com/mw/images/thum...Palestine2.jpg

Comment

@joha
                              i did the croissant test u suggested and it was not warm at all. i also noticed its only the light not the fan that lit up on opening. I guess i was paranoid seeing the light that i thought i heard some sound and slammed the door shut in a flash. i still want to take it back because of the mobile ringing test it failed, but my husband thinks there is no point doing that because they'll say so far its working, its ok.
                              thanks to all brothers and sisters that responded.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X