X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernova Nebula
    started a topic Mushrooms

Mushrooms

I'd like to buy spores for someone who is interested to grow mushrooms at home. Any of you into growing mushrooms at home? Now I'm searching to buy spores online but havent found any gardening websites that include mushrooms and sell spores online.

• Kas1m
    replied
    Re: Mushrooms

I love Mushrooms they are so tasty...on pizza and everything

Leave a comment:

• Te'oma
    replied

well that vid that showed the process from start to finish was a little incomplete IMHO and had one glaring error. First of all, the idea that mushrooms grow in the dark. Certainly they don't need light like plants but they do use blue spectrum light to signal when to start making mushrooms aka pinning. When mycelium grows through a substrate it needs a signal for when and where to start producing mushrooms. For most, this is when the mycelium is struck by light. Otherwise, you would have mushrooms growing all through the substrate. When the substrate is fully colonized, light triggers pinning on the surface of the substrate.
    The second thing is that the procedures shown are for agaricus mushrooms and not the exotics like shi-take or oysters or other woodlovers.
    The first thing that you need to do to grow mushrooms in a limited space ie a closet or someplace like that is to get several rubbermade containers or something similiar that is about 25 cm deep and about 60 cm long by 45 cm wide. Those measurements are approximate.
    Next you need to find either hardwood chips or a 50-50 mix of chopped straw and hardwood sawdust. You can get these either by approaching a tree service or a carpenter's shop. You don't want to use wood that is coniferous like pine or spruce...you want trees that have leaves like poplar or birch or maple. You don't need much...basically enough to make a 5-10 cm layer in the bottom of your container.
    You will also need some isopropyl alcohol and a large pot to boil the wood in and an old pillow case.
    The final thing is a source of mushroom spawn. You can get this online by googling mushroom spawn and the country that you are in. Don't get the plugs or dowels, you want grain spawn or grain/straw spawn. When you have all that, contact me and I will walk you through it step by step.
    If you are in the UK this is the ideal spawn http://www.annforfungi.co.uk/shop/sa...n/prod_21.html
    I know that they are talking about logs but unless you have a lot of space, ie a seperate building made out of bricks or steel (humidity causes mold problems in wooden structures) the rubbermade container is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Supernova Nebula
    replied

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09829006775398

Leave a comment:

• Supernova Nebula
    replied

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

Leave a comment:

• Supernova Nebula
    replied

Originally posted by Te'oma View Post
    yes they are. Being in the tree business, I was making tons of woodchips a day that could have been used for growing mushrooms. 10 kg of deciduous wood makes 1 kg or better of mushrooms and what is left over after the mushroom has run it's course is excellent topsoil. It would be an excellent value added business for my business :(. Last year alone we hauled over 700 metric tonnes of wood chips to the landfill and that's just our company...there are several others that operate around here.
    i just read about the benefits of shi-take mushrooms and how i miss eating the delicious oyster mushrooms. I think I'm going to grow my own mushrooms and i need your lecture on mushrooms growing:D

Leave a comment:

• Te'oma
    replied

Originally posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
    Capitalism and cronysm are cruel, arent they?:(
    yes they are. Being in the tree business, I was making tons of woodchips a day that could have been used for growing mushrooms. 10 kg of deciduous wood makes 1 kg or better of mushrooms and what is left over after the mushroom has run it's course is excellent topsoil. It would be an excellent value added business for my business :(. Last year alone we hauled over 700 metric tonnes of wood chips to the landfill and that's just our company...there are several others that operate around here.

Leave a comment:

• Supernova Nebula
    replied
    I have thought about it but here in Canada, there are marketing boards that you have to comply with. The government, in it's infinate wisdom, agreed that it wasn't qualified to regulate the business so they allow the 2 biggest corporations to regulate it. The end result is that you wind up going out of business because they impose expensive regulations on small businesses that they themselves don't have to comply with. Basically, you can grow them for yourself but the second that you start growing them for public consumption, you have to have your facilities inspected and the costs are so high to comply that if everything goes perfect, you are making pennies a pound. To make a living at it, you need huge dollars to invest and when you do that, the corporations just flood the market and drive the price down.
    I knew one guy that tried getting a small operation going selling sh1take mushrooms locally to restaurants. His production was only 300 to 400 lbs a month which was feasible for him at $8 a pound. Moneys mushrooms(the biggest corporation in BC) flooded the local market here and the price dropped to $2/lb and put him out of business. It's these kind of dirty tricks that stop me from doing it.
    The mushroom business here in BC is run by Rich hindus and they don't like any competition.
    Capitalism and cronysm are cruel, arent they?:(
    Last edited by Supernova Nebula; 24-03-08, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kas1m
    replied

i am a fan of mushroom myself. mushrooms are quite expensive here in scotland.

Leave a comment:

• Te'oma
    replied

I have thought about it but here in Canada, there are marketing boards that you have to comply with. The government, in it's infinate wisdom, agreed that it wasn't qualified to regulate the business so they allow the 2 biggest corporations to regulate it. The end result is that you wind up going out of business because they impose expensive regulations on small businesses that they themselves don't have to comply with. Basically, you can grow them for yourself but the second that you start growing them for public consumption, you have to have your facilities inspected and the costs are so high to comply that if everything goes perfect, you are making pennies a pound. To make a living at it, you need huge dollars to invest and when you do that, the corporations just flood the market and drive the price down.
    I knew one guy that tried getting a small operation going selling sh1take mushrooms locally to restaurants. His production was only 300 to 400 lbs a month which was feasible for him at $8 a pound. Moneys mushrooms(the biggest corporation in BC) flooded the local market here and the price dropped to $2/lb and put him out of business. It's these kind of dirty tricks that stop me from doing it.
    The mushroom business here in BC is run by Rich hindus and they don't like any competition.

Leave a comment:

• Supernova Nebula
    replied

I fell in love with mycology in high school :D It's absolutely amazing how they grow. Mushrooms are more like animals then they are plants :D
    you know akhi, u should grow mushroom, its a big good bissness i think, u can make good money:D and when I go there visit you and your family,i can eat lots and lots of organic mushrooms:D

Leave a comment:

• Te'oma
    replied

Originally posted by Joha View Post
    eek, I was told by an Indian friend that in hindi the the word for mushroom quite literally means 'where the dog excretes'. So, naturally only the lower castes eat it :D
    well I doubt that they would grow on dog dung...elephant dung yes...I've used it before :D
    This is a classic case of the opper crust missing out on something that is absolutely great for them. Ethnomycologists also surmise that the mana that fed the Israelites was in fact mushrooms and from the descriptions of how they would appear every morning but if they left them or tried to store them they would dissolve leads some to believe that these were probably in the coprinus family. Something like a shaggy mane which must be cooked within a few hours of being picked or they turn to slime. If you find a bunch and pick them all, the next morning there will be all new ones

Leave a comment:

• Te'oma
    replied

Originally posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
    how come u know alot about mushrooms? do u grow them at home?:D
    I fell in love with mycology in high school :D It's absolutely amazing how they grow. Mushrooms are more like animals then they are plants :D

Leave a comment:

• Supernova Nebula
    replied

LOL it's ok. In commercial operations, the dung is pasteurized. The mushrooms feed off of undigested cellulose, sugars and another fungus called actinomyces. So long as you wash them before you eat them, they are fine and good for you. Mushrooms are the perfect food...high in protein, vitamins and 0 fat. If you think about it...every plant feeds off of dung or the corpses of other plants as they decay.
    how come u know alot about mushrooms? do u grow them at home?:D

Leave a comment:

• Joha
    replied

Serious about what? White mushrooms being coprophiles? All of the agaricus mushrooms are dung lovers
    eek, I was told by an Indian friend that in hindi the the word for mushroom quite literally means 'where the dog excretes'. So, naturally only the lower castes eat it :D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X