Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mushrooms

Originally posted by Te'oma View Post
    yes they are. Being in the tree business, I was making tons of woodchips a day that could have been used for growing mushrooms. 10 kg of deciduous wood makes 1 kg or better of mushrooms and what is left over after the mushroom has run it's course is excellent topsoil. It would be an excellent value added business for my business :(. Last year alone we hauled over 700 metric tonnes of wood chips to the landfill and that's just our company...there are several others that operate around here.
    i just read about the benefits of shi-take mushrooms and how i miss eating the delicious oyster mushrooms. I think I'm going to grow my own mushrooms and i need your lecture on mushrooms growing:D

Comment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

Comment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09829006775398

Comment

well that vid that showed the process from start to finish was a little incomplete IMHO and had one glaring error. First of all, the idea that mushrooms grow in the dark. Certainly they don't need light like plants but they do use blue spectrum light to signal when to start making mushrooms aka pinning. When mycelium grows through a substrate it needs a signal for when and where to start producing mushrooms. For most, this is when the mycelium is struck by light. Otherwise, you would have mushrooms growing all through the substrate. When the substrate is fully colonized, light triggers pinning on the surface of the substrate.
          The second thing is that the procedures shown are for agaricus mushrooms and not the exotics like shi-take or oysters or other woodlovers.
          The first thing that you need to do to grow mushrooms in a limited space ie a closet or someplace like that is to get several rubbermade containers or something similiar that is about 25 cm deep and about 60 cm long by 45 cm wide. Those measurements are approximate.
          Next you need to find either hardwood chips or a 50-50 mix of chopped straw and hardwood sawdust. You can get these either by approaching a tree service or a carpenter's shop. You don't want to use wood that is coniferous like pine or spruce...you want trees that have leaves like poplar or birch or maple. You don't need much...basically enough to make a 5-10 cm layer in the bottom of your container.
          You will also need some isopropyl alcohol and a large pot to boil the wood in and an old pillow case.
          The final thing is a source of mushroom spawn. You can get this online by googling mushroom spawn and the country that you are in. Don't get the plugs or dowels, you want grain spawn or grain/straw spawn. When you have all that, contact me and I will walk you through it step by step.
          If you are in the UK this is the ideal spawn http://www.annforfungi.co.uk/shop/sa...n/prod_21.html
          I know that they are talking about logs but unless you have a lot of space, ie a seperate building made out of bricks or steel (humidity causes mold problems in wooden structures) the rubbermade container is the way to go.
          I took the road less traveled...where the heck am I? :scratch:

Comment

I love Mushrooms they are so tasty...on pizza and everything
            الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Comment

Working...
            X