muslim houses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muslim houses...

I'm not sure how often it comes up, since it's hard to buy property or build a house without a mortgage, but when it does come up, do you find as a Muslim it's hard to find a house design that fits your specific needs? Such as, say, separate living rooms or women's prayer area or anything?

Even just renting a house or buying an already built one, do you find it's difficult to find houses designed to your specific needs? Do you just learn to live with it?
    I like to quote myself
    - nomoreillusions

Re: muslim houses...

Originally posted by nomoreillusions View Post
    I'm not sure how often it comes up, since it's hard to buy property or build a house without a mortgage, but when it does come up, do you find as a Muslim it's hard to find a house design that fits your specific needs? Such as, say, separate living rooms or women's prayer area or anything?

Even just renting a house or buying an already built one, do you find it's difficult to find houses designed to your specific needs? Do you just learn to live with it?

for most people, segregation isnt an issue in the home as we are with our family members therefore its not necessary to have seperate living rooms, prayer areas etc. like i just pray in my room anyway!
    "For those who realise that everything is from Allah, everything is the same."
    ~ Jalaluddin al-Rumi

Comment

It's an issue when family comes over (since counsins, as I understand it, are not mahram's) or if friends or business collegues come over... So yah, it's not an issue when it's *just* your immediate family but there was a poll going a while ago about whether having friends over, the women would sit and eat separate from the men.

As for prayer areas, isn't it supposed to be no shoes and quiet and such? I'd think that a separate area would cause less distractions?
      I like to quote myself
      - nomoreillusions

Comment

Ya it is a little bit weird. Our house is weird. As you enter is the living room, followed by the kitchen at the end...Now when we have guests, the males go in the basement, since the sisters have to cook upstairs. The only way to get to the basement is to pass the living room! Or go around the house. We live in a town house and were in the middle of 4 houses, so you have to go around , on one side the neighbor doesn't allow us to use the middle area, which is NO MANS LAND! But this guys a jerk! So we have to use the other side. The sisters have to sit in the living room since the dining room is not too big. Often the bros have to go through the living room lowering their Gaze...its...awkward. And the stairs to go upstairs is again in the living room, right next to the stairs to go down...Maybe thats why we don't have guests over all the time...

In single family homes its much easier though. Rooms are separated and it isn't difficult.
        " The issue in palestine will not be solved by the United States or any western country. It's not going to be solved by Dan Six Pack or Sally Soccer mom! " Anwar Al-Awlaki

Comment

It's an issue when family comes over (since counsins, as I understand it, are not mahram's) or if friends or business collegues come over... So yah, it's not an issue when it's *just* your immediate family but there was a poll going a while ago about whether having friends over, the women would sit and eat separate from the men.

As for prayer areas, isn't it supposed to be no shoes and quiet and such? I'd think that a separate area would cause less distractions?

i see what u mean, well mostly the male guests hang out in the living room and further down the house we have the dining room and kitchen where the ladies hang out. the boys just go to my brothers rooms and the gals come up to cotch with me. in our house we dont enter the house with our shoes on, we take em off, like evryone has to before u step inside, (a lot of asian people, dnt know about other ethnicities, have that implemented) so the flooring in the house is pretty much clean clean clean. and well dedicating a whole room to praying is a little bit not practical when some people barely hav space to sleep. besides the men go to the mosque on most occasions any way.
          ~ Jalaluddin al-Rumi

Comment

extensions do any asians need an excuse for having an extension naaaaa :rotfl:

Comment

Originally posted by ajnabee View Post
              in our house we dont enter the house with our shoes on, we take em off, like evryone has to before u step inside, (a lot of asian people, dnt know about other ethnicities, have that implemented) so the flooring in the house is pretty much clean clean clean.
              yep, same here and all visitors do the same too :)
              we have a separate room for ladies and for guys (aka living room and sitting toom :p) and praying is just anywhere or mostly bedrooms....

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Level View Post
                extensions do any asians need an excuse for having an extension naaaaa :rotfl:

yes :embar:
                ~ Jalaluddin al-Rumi

Comment

yes :embar:

lol i take it you guys have had an extension sis?

first thing ppl think of is ok we can knock this wall down make this here enlarge this part here etc etc :rofl1:

Comment

in the UK i think we mainly make do with the houses how they come.. some house do have two reception rooms so u can segregate it that way. i dno anyone with seperate prayer room but like ajnabee said we dnt wear shoes in house u can pray anywhere. in other countries houses are cheaper n easier to build em from scratch so some have many seperate rooms, some specifically used for women to sit in when there are alot of guests n things like that. but whatever the place is like u get used to that, then u find a way in which u do all these things with the space that u have got
                    .: Rufaida :.
                    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
                    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

first thing ppl think of is ok we can knock this wall down make this here enlarge this part here etc etc :rofl1:

lol we are thinking about it actually... just trying to think of a really good excuse for doing it lol nah we have a small kitchen
                      ~ Jalaluddin al-Rumi

Comment

LOOL :rotfl:
                        Guantanamo Justice Centre

Comment

lol we are thinking about it actually... just trying to think of a really good excuse for doing it lol nah we have a small kitchen

kitchen excuse is the 1 that crops up the most lol

bit of hassle though gettin it all underway planning permission architects fees etc etc and then there the builders who always just seem to drink tea coffee and thats it they only work for a few hours the rest is just spent reading a news paper or drinking coffee :rofl1:

Comment

I think the main problem for me when looking at houses, is finding one that does not have the toilet (when sat on) or shower (when used) facing Makkah, because that would be awkward to adjust everytime you used the facility as well as if guests ie: 'oh excuse me aunty are you going to the toilet? well make sure you sit sideways so as not to face Makkah'

What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
                            Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
                            Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
                            but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
                            but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
                            We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
                            freedom from slavery to other than the One,
                            Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
                            and a horizon that extends to the next life,
                            Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

kitchen excuse is the 1 that crops up the most lol

bit of hassle though gettin it all underway planning permission architects fees etc etc and then there the builders who always just seem to drink tea coffee and thats it they only work for a few hours the rest is just spent reading a news paper or drinking coffee :rofl1:

dnt get me started on builders... half the time they dnt even turn up let alone take time out to drink tea and eat biscuits. half way down the job, they seem to go AWOL!
                              ~ Jalaluddin al-Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X