George Orwell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Orwell

I have been recommened to read a book by george orwell called 1984..and i have got it from the library 2dy:D

..i was just wondering if any1 has read it n what they think of it :)

w'salam
    j u s t B ...y o u r s e l f.

Re: George Orwell

yup i read this back while i was in high school. One of my favorite books of all time. George Orwell is true to form with deep meanings and lots of symbolism.
    The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah
    Today we abandon the Sunnah, just because it's Sunnah.

Comment

I've not read it myself, but i have heard/read great things about it. Ever since reading Animal farm, i've longed to read his other books. I just never get the time.
      Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by ImaanSeeker View Post
        yup i read this back while i was in high school. One of my favorite books of all time. George Orwell is true to form with deep meanings and lots of symbolism.
        Originally posted by Mikha’eel View Post
        I've not read it myself, but i have heard/read great things about it. Ever since reading Animal farm, i've longed to read his other books. I just never get the time.
        oh thats rally good enshallah i will enjoy reading it then..:D

i have herd about the other buks he has as well animal farm and that....

does he kinda predict the future in his book 1984? and the kinda things that will come into society like cctv which monitors all of our actions..

Comment

Originally posted by muslimma View Post

does he kinda predict the future in his book 1984? and the kinda things that will come into society like cctv which monitors all of our actions..
          yup, i think he wrote it sometime around the second world war as a foreshadowing of how he thought the world will turn out to be in 1984. The dystopia that he depicts is somewhat eerily familiar to what really happened with the Soviet Union in 1984.

Another book i would HIGHLY recommend is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Bradbury also writes about a dystopia about what he thought would happen in the future. And its actually happening right now.
          The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah
          Today we abandon the Sunnah, just because it's Sunnah.

Comment

It's an amazing book, it doesn't 'predict' the future, but it's a warning of how a revolution based on what people initially think of as 'noble' principles can lead to something far far worse. In that sense, a bit like Animal Farm!

Brilliant read, although personally, I'd suggest you read Animal Farm first. His other essays, especially the ones of his time in Burma are good too...
            ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
            a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
            worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
            a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
            and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
            (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Originally posted by Joha View Post
              It's an amazing book, it doesn't 'predict' the future, but it's a warning of how a revolution based on what people initially think of as 'noble' principles can lead to something far far worse. In that sense, a bit like Animal Farm!

Brilliant read, although personally, I'd suggest you read Animal Farm first. His other essays, especially the ones of his time in Burma are good too...
              The Elephant essay,is amazing..When I read that it was like..

Comment

I have been recommened to read a book by george orwell called 1984..and i have got it from the library 2dy:D

..i was just wondering if any1 has read it n what they think of it :)

w'salam
                My sis had to read it for her english exam - only she's not much of a reader so my other sis read it (and loved it) and told her what to write about for her essay :D

My mum told me that its a good book too - I havnt got round to reading it yet though lol
                The kitchen's a laboratory, and everything that happens there has to do with Science. It's Biology, Chemistry, Physics. Yes, there's History. Yes, there's Artistry. Yes, to all of that... but what happened there, what actually happens to the food is all Science :banan:

Comment

1984, hmm.... isn't that the one that states "Big Brother is watching" ?
                  "Yaa Allah grant me victory, or make me die Shaheed"

Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah.
                  (surah al-anfal v.30)

Comment

1984 is a wicked book! Read it when i was like 16 or 17

Brings back memories *reminisces*. Read animal farm as well :D

on the subject of books one book i would recommend is 'grapes of wrath' by John Steinback. Another classic :D

was quite a bookwarm in those days

Comment

Originally posted by Unique Muslimah View Post
                      It is, and very moving. Similarly 'A hanging' (this time a human being instead of an elephant), again of his time in Burma.

Also, 'Why I write' is an interesting one. It helps you understand his background, and therefore the motivation for most of his writings.
                      ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
                      a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
                      worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
                      a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
                      and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
                      (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Good Book, I'm sure you'll like it a lot. :) If you have read A Brave New World, it's very similiar to that. (If that helps)
                        مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                        It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                        Surah al-Baqarah
                        [2:245]

.:.
                        .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                        Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

It is, and very moving. Similarly 'A hanging' (this time a human being instead of an elephant), again of his time in Burma.

Also, 'Why I write' is an interesting one. It helps you understand his background, and therefore the motivation for most of his writings.
                          Yeah I've read the hanging one too..:up:

Comment

Originally posted by ImaanSeeker View Post
                            yup, i think he wrote it sometime around the second world war as a foreshadowing of how he thought the world will turn out to be in 1984. The dystopia that he depicts is somewhat eerily familiar to what really happened with the Soviet Union in 1984.

Another book i would HIGHLY recommend is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Bradbury also writes about a dystopia about what he thought would happen in the future. And its actually happening right now.
                            will read that one enshallah afetr i getma head round this one.. its not exactly a light read yh that is freaky that things are happening now that he thought of time ago...

why would you recommend i rd that first? is not a sequence is it..or does it lead on betr with his ideas?

Originally posted by Unique Muslimah View Post
                            *scribble down big reading list as follows***:

2.animal farm
                            3.Farenhait 451 ray bradbury
                            4.The elephant essay
                            5. burma essay

:scratch: well im sorted for the next couple of months :hidban: ;)

Originally posted by Qiyas View Post
                            1984, hmm.... isn't that the one that states "Big Brother is watching" ?
                            yh it is :) is that were they got the idea of the tv show from by any chance? and the name also for it BIG BROTHER??

Comment

is that were they got the idea of the tv show from by any chance? and the name also for it BIG BROTHER??
                              Yep
                              مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                              It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                              Surah al-Baqarah
                              [2:245]

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                              Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

Working...
                              X