Cooking Threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Threads?

I am a new Muslim who recently got married. I am a horrible cook and have no confidence in any of my cooking because I don't know how and don't know what I am doing. My husband never complains but I know he wants more variety (and also just more food in general) becasue even I am sick of the things that I do make.

Is there a cooking thread somewhere on this site or any other site that helps me with Arabic cooking? Or any other kind, really? I am so bad and even when I go online to the basic food websites, I never find a receipe that clicks with me (or that I can sucessfully make.) Please help because I cry over this, I feel so bad that I can't make a decent meal...(how embarassing...)

Re: Cooking Threads?

...also, i can't get help from his family because they have moved.

Alot of the receipes people tell me about, they are so unspecific casue they are so used to making the dishes, like "oh, a dash of this," or "just a little of this." I understand why they say it like that, but I'm like, I need measurements!

Comment

:salams

Sis don't feel bad about yourself because you can't cook! I'm sure your husband will appreciate the extra effort your putting in to cook something nice although you can't do it...it's the thoughts that count!

Maybe you can learn to cook from online recipe's or buy a book or something but don't worry you will get used to it soon and be able to cook properly, practice makes it perfect and we all had to start at the same place to learn to cook and it does get a lot easier. Don't forget to say :start: before you start ;)

Comment

Originally posted by XRUHYX View Post

Sis don't feel bad about yourself because you can't cook! I'm sure your husband will appreciate the extra effort your putting in to cook something nice although you can't do it...it's the thoughts that count!

Maybe you can learn to cook from online recipe's or buy a book or something but don't worry you will get used to it soon and be able to cook properly, practice makes it perfect and we all had to start at the same place to learn to cook and it does get a lot easier. Don't forget to say :start: before you start ;)
        What is that that you wrote? Is it Bismillah rahmainir rahim?

Comment

Originally posted by Emani View Post
          What is that that you wrote? Is it Bismillah rahmainir rahim?
          yes :)

Comment

sister, how about joinig a local cookery class at a local arab centre or something...or maybe you have some friends, or husbands friends; mum who could guide you...its best to have some one who you can ask by pickingup the fone or something...of course if you dont have this luxury then a cookery book is the next best thing inshaAllah

and may Allah reward you for being so attentive to his needs mashaAllah.

Comment

maybe some of the sisters can help you with your little dilema:):)
              May Allah Bless Us All.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                maybe some of the sisters can help you with your little dilema:):)
                we are trying :D

Comment

Originally posted by Emani View Post
                  I am a new Muslim who recently got married. I am a horrible cook and have no confidence in any of my cooking because I don't know how and don't know what I am doing. My husband never complains but I know he wants more variety (and also just more food in general) becasue even I am sick of the things that I do make.

Is there a cooking thread somewhere on this site or any other site that helps me with Arabic cooking? Or any other kind, really? I am so bad and even when I go online to the basic food websites, I never find a receipe that clicks with me (or that I can sucessfully make.) Please help because I cry over this, I feel so bad that I can't make a decent meal...(how embarassing...)
                  i have an easy recipe for u insha Allah chorba from algeria, my ex-mother in law taught me this its delicious alhamdulilah.

U will need

enough lamb for two people
                  medium onion
                  three medium courgettes.
                  two medium carrots.
                  water
                  salt and pepper.
                  cumin powder

heat two tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan, chop a medium size onion and fry in the pan. add chunks of lamb ( on the bone or boneless is fine ) stir until the meat starts to brown, add 4 teaspoons of cumin powder, and a little water and stir, then add about 6 large mugs full of water and a stock cube, and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, then grate ( on the larger teeth on the grater) three courgettes, and two medium carrots into the pan , and leave to cook on a low heat for about 50 minutes. checking it and stirring it, make sure it doesnt dry out and has sauce. towards the end of cooking add salt and pepper to taste. (adding salt during cooking can make the meat tough & the chorba tates better if u let it cool down then reheat it before u eat it )

..meanwhile.. :D melt some butter (a tablespoonful) in a saucepan and fry two cups of cous cous in it for a couple of minutes, keep stirring so it doesnt burn, then take off the heat and add boiling water enough to cover the cous cous stir, and leave to one side with a lid over it .stir occasionally to make sure all the grains are swollen with the water, and its ready to serve after about 8 minutes u can add a little butter to it and stir it in till it melts. serve with the chorba

http://www.chefzadi.com/
                  Last edited by *asiya*; 26-08-07, 01:20 AM.
                  "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

we have a lot of recipe threads if u search some would have useful stuff in insha allah.
                    also u can use some websites which have videos on it for cooking like videojug and also bbc get cooking, so it might b easier for u to watch it than with just the recipe, it also might be more interesting :up:
                    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

I'm a guy without any particular artistic skills, so if I can learn to cook, anyone can learn to cook.

What you first need is a very basic how-to-cook book that will teach about things such as measurements, ingredients, selecting food at the market, and storing food.

There's no better book in the world than the Joy of Cooking, which has sold zillions of copies in the U.S. (I'm certain there's a UK edition.)

It will teach the basics of everything you need to know: how to choose and cook different kinds of meat, fowl, and fish; how to choose and prepare vegetables; the basics of baking, etc.

Once you understand the basics, you'll be able to understand those vague recipes that people give you.

One important thing to remember about Middle Eastern cuisine: there's really not much technique you need to learn. The emphasis is on the freshness and high quality of the basic ingredients.

Comment

Cooking Threads?

Heres are some Ummah threads on cooking:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=recipe
                        Downloadable cookbooks.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=recipe
                        The Recipe Thread.

Middle Eastern cookbooks are widely available, try your local bookstore.

A site I just found on Middle Eastern Cooking, with recipes http://www.al-bab.com/arab/food.htm .

Enjoy.
                        :love:
                        "Then which of the blessings of your Lord will you deny?" (Qur'an 55:13)

Comment

Remember that Arab portions are only available in extra large

Comment

Working...
                          X