Fear of spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of spiders

Fear of spiders - Anyone have any tips or insight how to reduce this? I get really freaked out by them and I think I am getting worse :(. Like after any "encounter" with a spider (i mean if i see one somewhere in the house) I start feeling so paranoid, and imagining them everywhere, & i feel too grossed out to go in the place where I saw it (even when the spider has been exterminated or removed by one of the men in the house..)

That is normal for me to get like that, but lately i think because of summertime and also maybe cos we closed our house and went abroad for 1 month (so during that time it didnt get properly cleaned until we came back, apart from i think about once a cleaner did come n do it :S), there has been increased number of spiders than usual... so instead of seeing one spider rarely, i have seen a few (yes, i have been cleaning the place since i got back obviously bt they might b hiding somewhere in tiny places and then coming out i dnt know!!).

So tonight i had the final straw with them, as i was coming down from the bathroom at the bottom of the bathroom steps there was one nasty spid on the wall, which i had 2 go past 2 unlock the door and escape.. I tried to send the cat in there 2 eat it but it wouldnt cooperate so after realising it was a bit late and husband was sleeping and brother in law probably too, i had to handle it myself.. so i decided to hoover it up. I think i succeeded bt i felt really freaked out bc i had to go a bit near it, i was like outside the door for 5 mins persuading myself to open it and sort it out... cos feeling paranoid that the thing will jump out of the way of the hoover onto me. ewwwww. then after i completed the task i was shaking n feeling kinda upset cos it freaks me out.

Yes i know, kind of pathetic huh? but its really beginning to get on my nerves, i dont like feeling this way.. i would rather if i can manage to think like "big deal, a spider" n just get rid of it.

Soo is there ne1 who has managed 2 go from fear and hatred of spiders to indifference and quick ability 2 remove them if u come accross them? and could u tell how u achieved this? [and sorry the post is so long :|]
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Re: Fear of spiders

loll sending the cat in first :D

what exactly is it about spiders that scares u?

fear of getting bit? or something else?

Comment

no not fear of getting bitten i dont like to even let that cross my mind, i kind of dont register that they bite. when i see them i dont think of that... i just dnt like them near me whatsoever like within the same room or nething, it jst makes me feel sickened
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

it's probably all their legs and the fact they aren't too slow.
        "Islam began as something strange and will return as it was, so give glad tidings to the strangers."
        "Don't ever argue with an idiot....
        they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

So, seeing a spider is like this for you:

I think it's the legs.
          Last edited by .: Anna :.; 25-08-07, 04:43 AM. Reason: dont post pictures of them, its not nice
          Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

oh dunno then - my sister used to be quite scared of spiders, i used to pick spiders up and take them to her - she began to take them in her hand (with gloves on - she wouldnt touch 'em without gloves) and eventually lost her fear of them :up:

i guess that wouldnt work for you since you cant be in the same room as them - her fear may have been less than yours or summat

btw please no-one suggest killing spiders as i quite like them - theyre cute :D ants too

dont kill them, if theyre in the way best thing to do is pick 'em up and take them out

Comment

i can be in the room but i keep to the other side.. i dnt like 2 go close.
              maybe i shud try the glove thing... bt i think i wd b like "yeh ill try" but at the last minute ill b like nooo n i cdnt go thru with it :S
              i jst want 2 b able 2 remove em without all the panicking, bc husband works alot so if its me by myself n i come accross one i dnt want ne difficulties :s

Comment

Incy Wincy Spider.....

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                i can be in the room but i keep to the other side.. i dnt like 2 go close.
                maybe i shud try the glove thing... bt i think i wd b like "yeh ill try" but at the last minute ill b like nooo n i cdnt go thru with it :S
                i jst want 2 b able 2 remove em without all the panicking, bc husband works alot so if its me by myself n i come accross one i dnt want ne difficulties :s
                Maybe just get Akhy Baba the brave to save the day coming to the rescue as usual like some knight in shining armour masha'allah even if he loses some sleep :zzz:seen as spiders can be fast little critters.
                Originally posted by -Shamil- View Post
                dont kill them, if theyre in the way best thing to do is pick 'em up and take them out
                Na'am please no one suggest to squish the tiny little spiders as they are nice creepy crawlies- remember when Abu Bakr (ra) and our Rasul'Allah (saw) hid in the cave to evade the Quraish a spiders web was spun- all that stood in their way physically was a thin web that defeated the enemy as they thought to themselves how could it have been spun so quickly and how could they have entered without it have been broken? Masha'allah for spiders. :up:

Here is a thread Akhy Salman (may Allah give him Jannah) made on the little ones: Spiders

Comment

Re: Incy Wincy Spider.....

does the salman thread hav pictures in it? if not its easier 2 read.. maybe the info cd train me to think of them in a positive way, so i cn think of them as cute or nice or something :S :S erm i hav 2 admit at the moment if i had 2 deal with them with no escape, i do kill them :S

Comment

SpiderMan, SpinderMan, does whatever a SpiderMan does.....

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                    does the salman thread hav pictures in it? if not its easier 2 read.. maybe the info cd train me to think of them in a positive way, so i cn think of them as cute or nice or something :S :S erm i hav 2 admit at the moment if i had 2 deal with them with no escape, i do kill them :S
                    No my sister it has no pics at all- would you like me to post some there though? :D

You could like view them all for half an hour every day before you sleep and when you wake and before meals as therapy thinking of happy thoughts of how spiders are promoting peace and fighting for freedom, then after this treatment that should last one month insha'allah you will be cured forever! :up: (No pictured in the Akhy Salman thread at all alhamdulillah).

Just remember SpiderMan is a nice dude- he goes round swinging from building to building helping humans.

Please from now on do not kill them. :(

Comment

There is nothing to fear sis. There just ugly. Trust me its easier than ever to run around with slippers chasing it till its dead. (arab style :p)

They CANT harm you. Plus there are mostly just made up of legs. Make it your aim to kill them. If you kill so much of them, you wont fear them anymore. Just try to kill one. Your going to realize how its so not scary and get over your fear.

You cant overcome your fear unless you face it.

good luck sis :love:
                      Surat Al-An'am verse 26: Of them there are some who (pretend to) listen to thee; but We have thrown veils on their hearts, so they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they saw every one of the Signs, they will not believe in them; in so much that when they come to thee; they (but) dispute with thee; the Unbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the ancients."

Comment

Re: SpiderMan, SpinderMan, does whatever a SpiderMan does.....

Originally posted by Abu Hurairah View Post
                        No my sister it has no pics at all- would you like me to post some there though? :D

You could like view them all for half an hour as therapy thinking of happy thoughts of how they are promoting peace and after this treatment insha'allah you will be cured forever! :up: (No pics at all alhamdulillah).

Just remember SpiderMan is a nice dude- he goes round swinging from building to building helping humans.

Please from now on do not kill them. :(
                        lol

Wow lol... your advice is so peaceful. You should read mine @)
                        Surat Al-An'am verse 26: Of them there are some who (pretend to) listen to thee; but We have thrown veils on their hearts, so they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they saw every one of the Signs, they will not believe in them; in so much that when they come to thee; they (but) dispute with thee; the Unbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the ancients."

Comment

Assalam alakium Anna,
                          It's doesnt seem like a very pleasent feelings the spiders leave you with but dont worry because you are not to alone there are many many people who have fear or a phobia of spiders. There are some serious measures you can take to eliminate the fear of spiders. It depends on the severity of your aniexty.
                          Here is something i found for you to read :

Arachnophobia is defined as an inordinate fear of spiders. This phobia can often be triggered by the thought of or sometimes even a picture of a spider. A serious case of arachnophobia is much different than someone who doesn't like spiders. Many people who are afraid of spiders have feelings of panic entering into a situation where spiders may be present.
                          This fear of spiders can dictate where someone chooses to live, go on vacation, work or what sports or hobbies are enjoyed. Symptoms may include excessive sweating or clamminess, rapid breathing, rapid heartbeat, nausea and dizziness.
                          Often this fear is caused by an incident earlier in life which was frightening. People sometimes have the misconception that such a frightening event would have to be a long-lasting or memorable ordeal. Many people don't even remember the events which led to their phobia. The mind can create a phobia based on an instant of panic.
                          http://www.phobiascured.com/arachnophobia.htm

This fear can take over people's lives and sometime may get in the way to get on with daily basic chores. You may want to research and get some therapy and no it's not werid or strange that people have therapy to eliminate their fear of anything. If you are seriously considering having therapy let me know I can recommend some places inshaAllah. If you feel its not that serious then what you can do thisnk about the worst a spider can do.....and then think what will happen next? Most spiders in the uk are harmless if you leave them alone they usually dont even move I wouldnt have the courage to do what you did with the hoover thingy yet Im not thaaaaaaaaaaaat scared of them. they just seem really creepy and if i even imagine having one crawling on me I'm like itching all day lol hahaaaaa

Anyway you take care and May Allah swt give you some strength to deal with these spiders.

Assalam alakium

Comment

The Spider Shrink

Originally posted by perfectpearl View Post
                            There is nothing to fear sis. There just ugly. Trust me its easier than ever to run around with slippers chasing it till its dead. (arab style :p)

They CANT harm you. Plus there are mostly just made up of legs. Make it your aim to kill them. If you killso much of them, you wont fear them anymore. Just try to kill one. Your going to realize how its so not scary and get over your fear.

You cant overcome your fear unless you face it.

good luck sis :love:
                            I sense a deep level of innate hatred and Spiderism discrimination in your post, you are clearly brainwashed by some worm or caterpillar or other little insect/ creepy crawly that has convinced you that spiders are somehow evil when we know better.

This must have come about by some traumatic event in your childhood when you were four years old and a spider said salaam to you but you could not speak his language so being an Arab did what Arabs do best and tried to attack it with slippers/ sandal.

I urge you to desist from this extremism immediately and not give daw'ah to your Ku-Klux-Spiderhating-cult-Klan. :(

Spiders have feelings too.
                            Last edited by Fudhayl; 25-08-07, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Re: The Spider Shrink

Originally posted by Abu Hurairah View Post
                              I sense a deep level of innate hatred and Spiderism discrimination in your post, you are clearly brainwashed by some worm or caterpillar or other little insect/ creepy crawly that has convinced you that spiders are somehow evil when we know better.

This must have come about by some traumatic event in your childhood when you were four years old and a spider said salaam to you but you could not speak his language so being an Arab did what Arabs do best and tried to attack it with slippers/ sandal.

I urge you to desist from this extremism immediately and not give daw'ah to your Ku-Klux-Spiderhating-cult-Klan. :(

Spiders have feelings too.
                              If other creatures, such as ants or cockroaches or dung-beetles, cause harm, they may also be killed with insecticides, but not with fire. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa Islaamiyaah, Ibn Baaz, 451.

Comment

Working...
                              X