Is spirit vinegar halal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is spirit vinegar halal?

In ketchup and other sauces and sandwich fillers there is an ingredient called spirit vinegar? does that have alcohol in?
    muslim sister

Re: Is spirit vinegar halal?

i eat alot of ketchup
    muslim sister

Comment

in hanafi madhhab yes, the others i dont know u would have 2 check it with a scholar in those madhahib
      .: Rufaida :.
      .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
      http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
      “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
      but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
      ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

i duno... we had dis salad thingy n i read da ingredients out of bordem n i told my mum it had spirit vinegar in it and she threw it in the bin
        When the world pushes you to your knees, you are in a perfect position to pray

Comment

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]in hanifi madhhab its halal? phew!
          when i googled it on web it says that spirit vinegar is diluted alcohol/COLOR]
          muslim sister

Comment

i think its distilled or something? it is originally made out of alcohol bt they do some kind of a process... i dnt know exactly what? but all vinegar comes from some kinds of alcohol i think? but there are hadith praising vinegar as the best condiment
            ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

ALL vinegar is originally made from alcohol. It is a straight forward chemical reaction - ethanol (alcohol) is converted to ethanoic acid (vinegar). This chemical reaction happens naturally when alcohol is left in the air. Gone off alcoholic drinks smell of vinegar, because a lot of the alcohol has converted to vinegar.

Different madhabs/scholars have different opinions, those that say its halal say it because its a chemical reaction that changes all the alcohol to vinegar, which is a new chemical with different properties to alcohol. (vinegar is not harmful, and it does not intoxicate)

The problems with vinegar is that its a by-product of the alcohol industry, and we are not supposed to have any dealings with any part of the alcohol industry. Also some scholars say there is a possibility that a few molecules of alcohol may be left in the vinegar after the chemical reaction has taken place. I'm not a chemist so I don't know if this would be the case or not.

Anna I have not heard of hadeeth about vinegar being good before. I would be interested to learn about them inshaAllah. Some doctors say there are health properties for vinegar - cider vinegar in particular is advised for certain conditions??? (don't know much about this)
              Last edited by dhak1yya; 19-06-07, 10:07 PM.
              [CENTER]
              [/CENTER]
              [CENTER]
              [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

wow.. i've got a biology exam tomorrow.. and i just read that vinegar is made by
                alcohol.. being decomposed by Acetobacter (a bacteria).. into vinegar...
                Subhanallah.. I was just thinking the same thing as you...
                Whoever asks Allah sincerely for martyrdom [Allahumma inni as'aluk ash-shahadah], Allah will cause him to reach the status of the martyrs even if he dies in his bed.” ['Sahih al-Bukhari' #1909]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                  ALL vinegar is originally made from alcohol. Different madhabs/scholars have different opinions, those that say its halal say it because its a chemical reaction that changes all the alcohol to vinegar, which is a new chemical with different properties to alcohol. (vinegar is not harmful, and it does not intoxicate)

The problems with vinegar is that its a by-product of the alcohol industry, and we are not supposed to have any dealings with any part of the alcohol industry. Also some scholars say there is a possibility that a few molecules of alcohol may be left in the vinegar after the chemical reaction has taken place. I'm not a chemist so I don't know if this would be the case or not.

Anna I have not heard of hadeeth about vinegar being good before. I would be interested to learn about them inshaAllah. Some doctors say there are health properties for vinegar - cider vinegar in particular is advised for certain conditions??? (don't know much about this)
                  well isnt it in time of rasoolallah :saw: wen alchohol first was made haraam, it was said dont keep it even for making vinegar. this was 2 make sure everyone gets rid of it out of their house and keeps away from it, then after some time (still in time of rasoolallah :saw: ) it was told u can keep for the purpose of vinegar making and u cn involve in making that?
                  i am sure this is wat i have heard on this..
                  the hadiths am referring is about rasoolallah :saw: saying he likes the taste n stuff not sure if mentions for health but making comments like "how excellent condiment is vinegar!"
                  lemme google it insha allah :p
                  ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

I have seen so many nice looking recipes which contain balsamic vinegar and was so curious to try it but was unsure as to whether it was allowed precisely because of this issue.
                    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

these are what i was thinking about
                      'A'isha reported Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: The best of condiments or condiment is vinegar. - Sahih Muslim Book 023, Number 5091

Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) asked his family for condiment. They (the members of his household) said: We have nothing with us but vinegar. He asked for it, he began to eat it, and then said: Vinegar is a good condiment, vinegar is a good condiment. - Sahih Muslim Book 023, Number 5093
                      ~ Ibn Atallah

Comment

Jazak Allah khayran :)
                        [CENTER]
                        [/CENTER]
                        [CENTER]
                        [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                        [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

So balsamic vinegar is ok...?
                          :up: :lailah: :up:

Comment

i'm a huge fan of balsamic vinegar:(

Comment

yummy i like vinegar- but was a;ways suspicious about it- we believe it's haalal- just hope it actually is
                              ALLAHHUAKBAR

Comment

Working...
                              X