A Thousand Splendid Suns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Thousand Splendid Suns

So are we not supposed to read these kind of books? Like what about real life stories then - like a Chinese Cinderella?
    ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
    "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
    :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

Comment

Originally posted by RaNdOm View Post
      So are we not supposed to read these kind of books? Like what about real life stories then - like a Chinese Cinderella?
      I just stated my issues. If you're okay with it, go on.

There's a reason the non-Muslims love this book more than Muslims.

The problem is that the book sounds so real life that the reader will not even think that it's a fiction. So you as a good Muslimah, might not notice the careful promotion of modernism/secularism and fueling Islamophobia(intentional or not), but the western non-Muslims might think, "Well, I'm not surprised, always knew them Muslims are barbaric."

Here's a solid review article on the book http://muslimmatters.org/2007/10/29/...alid-hosseini/
      Winning an argument doesn't mean you're on truth, losing an argument doesn't mean you're on falsehood.

Comment

Originally posted by bhshawon View Post
        I just stated my issues. If you're okay with it, go on.

There's a reason the non-Muslims love this book more than Muslims.

The problem is that the book sounds so real life that the reader will not even think that it's a fiction. So you as a good Muslimah, might not notice the careful promotion of modernism/secularism and fueling Islamophobia(intentional or not), but the western non-Muslims might think, "Well, I'm not surprised, always knew them Muslims are barbaric."

Here's a solid review article on the book http://muslimmatters.org/2007/10/29/...alid-hosseini/
        Lol :jkk: I was genuinely asking ...like in a :scratch: kinda way - cos sometimes I wanna do stuff but then I think it may be a waste of time so don't. Like sometimes I wanna paint... But then I think well what's the point other than it would make me feel happy but like then I guess it wastes time.

I ordered some rollerblades yesterday though cos I was feeling sad but I think this can be justified as exercise.
        ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
        "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
        :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

Comment

Lol :jkk: I was genuinely asking ...like in a :scratch: kinda way - cos sometimes I wanna do stuff but then I think it may be a waste of time so don't. Like sometimes I wanna paint... But then I think well what's the point other than it would make me feel happy but like then I guess it wastes time.

I ordered some rollerblades yesterday though cos I was feeling sad but I think this can be justified as exercise.
          Well really, I'm an avid fan of novels, specially historical ones. But I was disappointed on this one, getting doubts about the true intention of the author.

I would rather read kuffar writers like Erich Maria Remarque than this book.
          Winning an argument doesn't mean you're on truth, losing an argument doesn't mean you're on falsehood.

Comment

The worst part of Chinese Cinderella is when the dad made his dog kill the girl's duckling. I hope karma happened to that disgusting man.

Comment

Well really, I'm an avid fan of novels, specially historical ones. But I was disappointed on this one, getting doubts about the true intention of the author.

I would rather read kuffar writers like Erich Maria Remarque than this book.
              Which historical novels do you read?

Comment

Originally posted by LLS View Post
                Which historical novels do you read?
                Almost all novels of Erich Maria Remarque.

Many Bangla novels as well, I guess you're not Bangali, so no point mentioning names.

Tried to read 'All the Light We Cannot See' recently, but it was too boring.

Comment

Yea i loved the Kite Runner and The mountains Echoed. I didnt get many parts of the mountain echoed though, prob because there were too many characters to remember and every chapter atarted off with a different character and each character was described in 3 rd person.. but i remembered it being a enotional, raw story especiallywhere the 2 boys discuss about the women at the brothelhouse, where one of em went in there. That was little disturbing as he described it. On the other hand, the relationship between the brother and younger sister is adorable and poignant at the same time. Sad how things ended off towards the end but it was bittersweet that both siblings grew up and reunited at last.

The kite runner also had some disturbing parts too, yea that scene was....uh bad. I felt bad for the boy. But yes, what tugged me the most was when the boy realized how his best friend was actually related to him. That really made my heart sunk!

Comment

Almost all novels of Erich Maria Remarque.

Many Bangla novels as well, I guess you're not Bangali, so no point mentioning names.

Tried to read 'All the Light We Cannot See' recently, but it was too boring.
                    Sounds interesting.

I've only read All Quiet on the Western Front, I should try more of Remarque's.

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=136016]bhshawon[/MENTION], I read the book at a time where I didn't know much about Islam but even then I raised an eyebrow at the way Islam and Shariah was being portrayed in the book.

Like when **SPOILER ALERT** one of the women (I think it was Marium - the abused one? I dunno, been a while) was being sentenced by the Judge (I think for killing her abusive husband??) the Judge sentenced her to death because "how would he face Allah if he got the sentence wrong and let her live?" (obviously paraphrasing). This irritatged the hell out of me a) because I doubt an actual Qadi would be so simplistic in his thinking, b) because AFAIK there is a hadith that says the Judge should not rush to punish the believer because it is better to give a lighter punishment only to find that you were mistaken (because the person was guilty) than it is to give a harsh punishment and find that the person was innocent. And c) non-Muslims are likely to think this is what Shariah is.

Another thing is the main character casually fornicates and I'm supposed to be rooting for her and her fellow adulterer to get together at the end.

Don't get me wrong, the story itself is brilliantly told and the author really pulls at the heartstrings but I can't ignore the non/anti-Islamic sentiments humming away in the background.
                      And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah
                      http://www.ummzakiyyah.com/polygamy_not_my_problem/

Comment

Originally posted by EenieMeanie View Post
                        I agree with [MENTION=136016]bhshawon[/MENTION], I read the book at a time where I didn't know much about Islam but even then I raised an eyebrow at the way Islam and Shariah was being portrayed in the book.

Like when **SPOILER ALERT** one of the women (I think it was Marium - the abused one? I dunno, been a while) was being sentenced by the Judge (I think for killing her abusive husband??) the Judge sentenced her to death because "how would he face Allah if he got the sentence wrong and let her live?" (obviously paraphrasing). This irritatged the hell out of me a) because I doubt an actual Qadi would be so simplistic in his thinking, b) because AFAIK there is a hadith that says the Judge should not rush to punish the believer because it is better to give a lighter punishment only to find that you were mistaken (because the person was guilty) than it is to give a harsh punishment and find that the person was innocent. And c) non-Muslims are likely to think this is what Shariah is.

Another thing is the main character casually fornicates and I'm supposed to be rooting for her and her fellow adulterer to get together at the end.

Don't get me wrong, the story itself is brilliantly told and the author really pulls at the heartstrings but I can't ignore the non/anti-Islamic sentiments humming away in the background.
                        Yeah, didn't thought about that one. There's a authentic hadith "Ward off the hudud by means of ambiguities.". Also a qadi will not be punished just because he gave a wrong judgement as long as he tries his best.

'Amr b. al-'As reported that he heard Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) as saying: When a judge gives a decision, having tried his best to decide correctly and is right, there are two rewards for him; and if he gave a judgment after having tried his best (to arrive at a correct decision) but erred, there is one reward for him.

Comment

Working...
                        X