Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning depression

Salaam aleiykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Has anyone dealt with morning depression?

Or just general episodes during the day that bring you down and make you want to lay on the bed?

Any tips on overcoming this?
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

YES YES
    I get it all the time but I feel like it's something I have to live with, I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions other than the usual stuff you know, e.g morning adhkar
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

YES YES
      I get it all the time but I feel like it's something I have to live with, I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions other than the usual stuff you know, e.g morning adhkar
      I dont usually have it it's just my current situation, but i notice i do tend to wakeup in a worse mood when i wakeup late vs early
      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

I think a lot of people have that

I think certain things trigger me without me even realizing that they do because sometimes (and this literally happened yesterday) I'll be perfectly fine and then all of a sudden I start falling down a rabbit hole.

I have a box in my head that I am not supposed to open but sometimes it opens on its own and it puts me in the depths of despair.

I also do not have any useful tips because I don't even understand it. But maybe if something is bothering you, you can try talking to someone you are close to about it or take some time to do something that makes you happy to put you in a better mood.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post
          I think a lot of people have that

I think certain things trigger me without me even realizing that they do because sometimes (and this literally happened yesterday) I'll be perfectly fine and then all of a sudden I start falling down a rabbit hole.

I have a box in my head that I am not supposed to open but sometimes it opens on its own and it puts me in the depths of despair.

I also do not have any useful tips because I don't even understand it. But maybe if something is bothering you, you can try talking to someone you are close to about it or take some time to do something that makes you happy to put you in a better mood.
          Yea sis for me i dont even know what brings me down, even though im going through things, i dont know specifically whats saddening me... its just a journey of healing i guess

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post

Yea sis for me i dont even know what brings me down, even though im going through things, i dont know specifically whats saddening me... its just a journey of healing i guess
            Do you think it’s healing? I always just assumed that it was a sign that I wasn’t fully healed. That things were still troubling me to a certain degree.

Comment

Walaykum salam wrwb,

I'm just not a morning person and never have been. Maybe yours manifests as depression but for me I always woke up exhausted in the morning, even before my health problems started. I'd start the day not properly awake and not properly functional. I tended to feel "more like myself" in the afternoon and evening. Apparently there are medical explanations for this, certain hormonal conditions and that sort of thing but I can't remember the details of how that works. I remember I tended to dread morning exams because I'd only be half awake through them and always wanted exams in the afternoon.

Even though my dad mashaAllah has lived a healthy life, he's not a morning person either. It's pointless to ask him any questions or ask him to help with anything in the morning cos he's not completely there, it's like he's in zombie mode lol. Most of the day he's relaxed, easy going and pleasant but in the morning if you try to make conversation or ask him to do stuff he can get more easily irritable. One time my parents went on holiday with a friend's family and when my mum's friend was on her way to the bathroom first thing in the morning and saw my dad's face, she thought he looked quite frightening lol- any other time of day she thought of him as a nice and approachable person. This morning allergy seems to run in his side of the family. A few of his nieces prefer to spend half the weekend in their pyjamas.

My question to Aynina would be: do you get enough access to natural sunlight during the day? If you're in an Arab country, then you'd have to stay out of the sun in mid afternoon to protect your skin, but in the early morning or at asr time (return home just before maghrib) it's healthy to have a little light sun exposure even if it's just for 15 mins (I don't know your skin tone or how easily it burns so safe amount of time in the sun would vary according to that but early morning soon after fajr should be quite safe inshaAllah- in fact if you can do it safely, I'd suggest not putting on sun screen during brief 10-15 min exposure). There is a medical connection between access to natural light and how it affects your sleep and how alert you feel in the day. Are you getting good sleep? I'm guessing with a baby that would be difficult. If there are any safe green/natural spaces, then I highly recommend you walk around there, whether it's a park or back garden with palm trees or beach. If you tend to feel worse in the winter then I'd suggest a light box. I've heard good things about salt lamps, but don't know enough about them to say more than that. Oh one other thing about the baby: if you're not doing so already, you should take supplements for omega 3s, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin b12, partly because omega 3, calcium and vitamin d tend to become depleted from the body by pregnancy and partly because omega 3s, vitamin D and vitamin b12 have a direct effect on nourishing the brain and preventing mental health issues such as depression including post natal depression.

Sometimes depression can be your body's way of telling you that something in your life needs to change because things should not continue the way they are. Sometimes depression is triggered physically by a depletion in nutrients that help nourish the brain and sometimes both can be true, but if these feelings tend to hit mostly at a specific time of day and you feel fine later, my guess would be either you're not getting good quality sleep or your hormones are a bit off (do you really feel fine or are you just better able to suppress and control the feelings later?).
              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

no tips - whats written above is all i would have said as well--
                except one additional one (but i dont want to mention it as a so-called "cure" or anything, i think everything is specific to people's circumstances and health
                and impossible to say for others, let alone ourselves oftentimes! ) thing which is
                1. little bit of apple cider vinegar in water. water previously boiled and left to cool down so it's only warm (Not hot) . i mixed honey (i actually ordered ACV this morning on grocery delivery service since i've nearly run out, and i haven't down this method in a long time somehow , i guess i forgot) in for taste and
                a bit of salt and pepper for taste too (to make it more like 'lemonade' and more palatable early in the morning)

and i would drink that
                also liquid iodine (a drop or several in water) when i did that it felt like a huge weight off chest- but this one - important to note - is very dependent on the person as people with thyroid issues need to ask doctor first -

those are the two things that helped me a lot (both of which ive stopped doing and plan to restart)
                my dad goes every day doing the ACV thing (he also takes a swig or two of quality olive oil daily which hes been doing for the past few years, before which he had severe asthma and severe asthma attacks) and he said it improved his acid reflux (surprisingly)
                my mom had been telling him for YEARS to do the Olive oil and ACV things for his lungs and reflux respectively, as well as general well-being and he always ignored her tll a few years ago

anyway the ACV thing.. i only mention my dad because his case was extreme and the improvement was extreme, and he was the one who urged me to do that-

also i have to take electrolyte water sometimes, and feel a significant difference (my kids do too; in fact the elder has it written in his medical plan)

also getting a blood test (include a request to check for metabolic diseases etc - rare - because doctors usually dont) is helpful

but i think depression can be lifelong ,but managed, depending on the person, and i'm not saying any of this as a 'cure' just as things that helped me enough that i wonder why i stopped doing them?

Comment

oh btw seeing as this has taken a 'health' turn oftentimes salty fermented things like sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles (like japanese persimmon pickles) , etc, help inthe moment (just enough to have you not as emotionally fragile) -
                  i read this in a book called Harvest for Life, which belonged to my mom, where the author had recommended it to a student for the 'spaced out' feeling of depression and lethargy, as well it helped me a lot -

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

Do you think it’s healing? I always just assumed that it was a sign that I wasn’t fully healed. That things were still troubling me to a certain degree.
                    No i mean it's just part of the journey of healing i guess

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                      Walaykum salam wrwb,

I'm just not a morning person and never have been. Maybe yours manifests as depression but for me I always woke up exhausted in the morning, even before my health problems started. I'd start the day not properly awake and not properly functional. I tended to feel "more like myself" in the afternoon and evening. Apparently there are medical explanations for this, certain hormonal conditions and that sort of thing but I can't remember the details of how that works. I remember I tended to dread morning exams because I'd only be half awake through them and always wanted exams in the afternoon.

Even though my dad mashaAllah has lived a healthy life, he's not a morning person either. It's pointless to ask him any questions or ask him to help with anything in the morning cos he's not completely there, it's like he's in zombie mode lol. Most of the day he's relaxed, easy going and pleasant but in the morning if you try to make conversation or ask him to do stuff he can get more easily irritable. One time my parents went on holiday with a friend's family and when my mum's friend was on her way to the bathroom first thing in the morning and saw my dad's face, she thought he looked quite frightening lol- any other time of day she thought of him as a nice and approachable person. This morning allergy seems to run in his side of the family. A few of his nieces prefer to spend half the weekend in their pyjamas.

My question to Aynina would be: do you get enough access to natural sunlight during the day? If you're in an Arab country, then you'd have to stay out of the sun in mid afternoon to protect your skin, but in the early morning or at asr time (return home just before maghrib) it's healthy to have a little light sun exposure even if it's just for 15 mins (I don't know your skin tone or how easily it burns so safe amount of time in the sun would vary according to that but early morning soon after fajr should be quite safe inshaAllah- in fact if you can do it safely, I'd suggest not putting on sun screen during brief 10-15 min exposure). There is a medical connection between access to natural light and how it affects your sleep and how alert you feel in the day. Are you getting good sleep? I'm guessing with a baby that would be difficult. If there are any safe green/natural spaces, then I highly recommend you walk around there, whether it's a park or back garden with palm trees or beach. If you tend to feel worse in the winter then I'd suggest a light box. I've heard good things about salt lamps, but don't know enough about them to say more than that. Oh one other thing about the baby: if you're not doing so already, you should take supplements for omega 3s, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin b12, partly because omega 3, calcium and vitamin d tend to become depleted from the body by pregnancy and partly because omega 3s, vitamin D and vitamin b12 have a direct effect on nourishing the brain and preventing mental health issues such as depression including post natal depression.

Sometimes depression can be your body's way of telling you that something in your life needs to change because things should not continue the way they are. Sometimes depression is triggered physically by a depletion in nutrients that help nourish the brain and sometimes both can be true, but if these feelings tend to hit mostly at a specific time of day and you feel fine later, my guess would be either you're not getting good quality sleep or your hormones are a bit off (do you really feel fine or are you just better able to suppress and control the feelings later?).
                      I should go out more tbh bc its very hot nowadqys i only leave after maghrib, but even to sit on the balcony a bit around asr would do good.

Youre right im going through changes that way heavy on me atm, qnd having a full house of in laws with no space to escape to is also making things hard since im an introvert and i need to recenter after being in a crowd. Khair in shaa Allah i know everything comes to an end and its just a test from Allah

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by wannabefarmer View Post
                        oh btw seeing as this has taken a 'health' turn oftentimes salty fermented things like sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles (like japanese persimmon pickles) , etc, help inthe moment (just enough to have you not as emotionally fragile) -
                        i read this in a book called Harvest for Life, which belonged to my mom, where the author had recommended it to a student for the 'spaced out' feeling of depression and lethargy, as well it helped me a lot -
                        Thank you for all your advice, i need to add kefir into my diet again as well in sha Allah

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
                          Salaam aleiykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Has anyone dealt with morning depression?

Or just general episodes during the day that bring you down and make you want to lay on the bed?

Any tips on overcoming this?
                          walaykum salaam

tbh i get it more at night

i cant sleep because of all the bs on my mind tbh

Comment

Try to say two salawat every morning and surah falaq
                            Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
                            In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
                            USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
                            (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X