Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question? Did I say anything wrong?

Hey
    So I was speaking to some people on the Islam subreddit, when I came across some people supporting cross-religious friendships.
    What do you think of what I said? Is it OK for Muslims to "be friends" with Christians/Jews? I'm a firm believer against this type of stuff. A lot of people on the original post were acting like it's perfectly fine and okay (when it probably isn't).

Original Poster: My best friend for the past ten years is a religious Christian, and I a religious Muslim.
    Me: Welp, you shouldn't really be close friends. There are direct, explicit warnings against making friends w/non-Muslims in the quran and the hadith.
    Person X: Shut up, stop trying to create division, people like you are the problem on this earth

Me: I'm not trying to create division. " O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you – then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people. " (5:51). If you don't want to look at the Quran, then there's nothing I can do to change that. There are numerous more verses and hadith that explicitly state you can't be friends with Christians/Jews. It's also pretty obvious that that's no way to get your opinion out as a good Muslim.

Person X: You proved that religion divides humanity, into believers and non believers. How about you try to promote unity instead of trying to divide humanity further?

Me: Are you going to argue against what the Quran is saying? I'm not telling you to hate on them, but you can't be friends with them. Are you Muslim?

Person X: No i am not a muslim, but i will tell you something. There are a lot of muslims in my school here, and all of them are fine with being friends with who they want, whether it be hindu, christian etc. And they dont need divisive people like you who try to divide humanity even further. People like you give religion a bad name. And also that means you are a christophobe and an antisemite. If someone said they wont be friends with muslims it would islamophobic. And get out of the west

Me: Ah, I thought I was speaking to a Muslim. What many Muslims "do" doesn't matter - what's concrete in terms of religion does. Your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant and insignificant. We as Muslims have to follow what the Book says, not what we "feel" like doing and what "other people" are doing.

I'm not a christophobe and an antisemite, either. I never said that Muslims are supposed to hate on them, or fear them. We just aren't supposed to be friends with them. Our book teaches us that, and we are expected to follow it.
    Also, I live in Asia.

(Some other people): There's no problem to be close friends , he/she just shouldn't give them the full-trust. Nothing wrong making friendships with people who deserve it , and people doesn't mean only-Muslims.

you can be close friends with Christians but not let them control your life or lead you away from Islam.
    Person X didn't reply after that. I didn't know what to say in response to him calling me "divisive", but it is what it is.
    "When you want to cry, laugh.
    If you're frozen in fear, you can't do anything"

salam alaykum wa rahmat allah
    if a muslim love the prophet peace be upon him more than any human being can this muslim be friends with people that accuse your prophet with terrible things ?
    can you be friends with someone who accuse your mother with terrible things ? if not then what about the prophet peace be upon him wich we are supposed to love more than our mothers
    you treat others kindly and we call them to islam and answer their questions about it but our friendship and our loyality remain to our muslim brothers

Comment

geez, the mod on that website is also against what I was saying, and I got a threat on being banned ;-;

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt View Post
        geez, the mod on that website is also against what I was saying, and I got a threat on being banned ;-;
        I might be wrong but you sound kind of jealous about people who can easily make friends. I have friends from all faiths and cultural backgrounds. If we go out for a meal we all try to cater to each others preferences.

For example, I will only go to places that serve halal food and no alcohol. Sometimes we go to a vegetarian restaurant or a place with a vegetarian menu if one of our friends doesn't eat meat. My sikh friends are not allowed to eat halal meat as part of their religion so if they come then we try to go to a vegetarian or seafood place.

I feel sorry for you that you are so lonely that you are trying to break up other people's friendships rather than trying to make some of your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Nabihah.C View Post

I might be wrong but you sound kind of jealous about people who can easily make friends. I have friends from all faiths and cultural backgrounds. If we go out for a meal we all try to cater to each others preferences.

For example, I will only go to places that serve halal food and no alcohol. Sometimes we go to a vegetarian restaurant or a place with a vegetarian menu if one of our friends doesn't eat meat. My sikh friends are not allowed to eat halal meat as part of their religion so if they come then we try to go to a vegetarian or seafood place.

I feel sorry for you that you are so lonely that you are trying to break up other people's friendships rather than trying to make some of your own.
          Huh? I'm not jealous. You took all of what I was saying really wrong. I used to have non muslim friends long ago too but those ended due to shifting. Here's a post from islamQA btw on why it's better off avoided
          https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2153...nd-to-a-kaafir

What you are describing is hasad. I don't have that at all. My genuine interest was the poster's own good.

You assumed I was lonely probably due to seeing my old posts.

Comment

Huh? I'm not jealous. You took all of what I was saying really wrong. I used to have non muslim friends long ago too but those ended due to shifting. Here's a post from islamQA btw on why it's better off avoided
            https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2153...nd-to-a-kaafir

What you are describing is hasad. I don't have that at all. My genuine interest was the poster's own good.

You assumed I was lonely probably due to seeing my old posts.
            Last edited by Nabihah.C; 21-06-20, 02:44 PM. Reason: OK, I just your age is 16 on your profile. Hope you manage to make some friends. Best of luck for the future kid.

Comment

I haven't seen your old posts but judging by the way you replied defensively, it seems you are quite lonely. Also you said you lost non-Muslim friends yourself due to shifting somewhere else.

So it seems clear you were happy to have Non-Muslim friends yourself. But you are angry about this other person having them because you haven't been able to make any new ones yourself.

Have you thought maybe your attitude towards other peoples friends might be why you don't have many friends?
              The friend I had was a childhood friend in primary school when I had no clue. It was wayyy long ago.

I am not angry at all at that other guy. It's his wish what he wants to do.

​​​​​​I never really take a negative attitude vs anyone based on their religion, I was just telling the guy it's better off avoided.

"A believer follows the religion of his friend" (Tirmidhi)

Comment

You assumed I was angry and you assumed that I was trying to break his friendship based on another assumption that it's because you think I can't make new friends.

Comment

You assumed I was angry and you assumed that I was trying to break his friendship based on another assumption that it's because you think I can't make new friends.
                  I didn't realise how old you were. Must be hard not having friends at that age. Sorry for my comments.

Comment

I didn't realise how old you were. Must be hard not having friends at that age. Sorry for my comments.
                    It used to be, not anymore though
                    But this is besides the point.

Comment

.....and you're still assuming I don't have friends.

Comment

.....and you're still assuming I don't have friends.
                        I'm sure you have many friends kid. Ignore what I said.

Comment

Working...
                        X