Can you practise in a non practicing environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you practise in a non practicing environment

So then peeps. Do you think you can practice islam in a non practising household. Or do you feel it's better to move into a more practising environment or marry someone practising so you can support eachother?

what are your views on this? You can discuss it here.

Assalamu alaykum.

You can definitely practise in a non practising environment but it's obviously better to have better company for the sake of your iman. We shouldn't underestimate this at all. As Muslims we should be trying our upmost best to solidify our iman so why wouldnt we choose to have good and practising company? We shouldn't forget the fact that in yawmul qiyamah we will be raised with those we were close with in this dunyah and the people we call our companions. May Allah grant us good companions who will help us attain closeness to our Rabb.
    The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Originally posted by Flawed View Post
      So then peeps. Do you think you can practice islam in a non practising household. Or do you feel it's better to move into a more practising environment or marry someone practising so you can support eachother?

what are your views on this? You can discuss it here.
      assalaamu alaykum,

There is not enough info there to advise on specifics as it depends on how severe is the non-practicing environment, whether the person involved is a brother or a sister as it's much more dangerous for a sister to move away from home than it is a brother.

On marriage, a lot of people think marrying a more practicing person will fix them. And it can help. But the effort still needs to be put in and problems will always come about, from the past and the future issues, and the inteaction between the two.
      FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post

assalaamu alaykum,

There is not enough info there to advise on specifics as it depends on how severe is the non-practicing environment, whether the person involved is a brother or a sister as it's much more dangerous for a sister to move away from home than it is a brother.

On marriage, a lot of people think marrying a more practicing person will fix them. And it can help. But the effort still needs to be put in and problems will always come about, from the past and the future issues, and the inteaction between the two.
        In general. Wouldn't a non practising environment get to you though? Wouldn't one become a more of a quality type Muslim if they were surrounded around practising people. This isn't about fixing yourself though. Its about the negative affects a non practising environment can have on you.

Comment

In general. Wouldn't a non practising environment get to you though? Wouldn't one become a more of a quality type Muslim if they were surrounded around practising people. This isn't about fixing yourself though. Its about the negative affects a non practising environment can have on you.
          It can do, but if we look to the sahabah they didn't leave their family homes unless under the threat of violence and force, even though the Sahabah were surounded by kufr.
          So there are other factors to weigh up, as well as duties and obligations we cannot forget as we concentrate on ourselves.
          FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

It can do, but if we look to the sahabah they didn't leave their family homes unless under the threat of violence and force, even though the Sahabah were surounded by kufr.
            So there are other factors to weigh up, as well as duties and obligations we cannot forget as we concentrate on ourselves.
            What if one wants to leave because they Iman is low due to the environment though?

Comment

What if one wants to leave because they Iman is low due to the environment though?
              You need to speak to someone privately if you don't want to go into details here, explain your whole situation. The problems with staying may seem large, but the potential problems which may occur can sometimes, but definately not always be just as bad if not worse.

Comment

You need to speak to someone privately if you don't want to go into details here, explain your whole situation. The problems with staying may seem large, but the potential problems which may occur can sometimes, but definately not always be just as bad if not worse.
                Get what you mean. But we're on a journey so we can view it as traveling.

Comment

Generally, the Sahabah radiyallahu anhum ajma'een learnt Imaan (travelled to Madinatul Munawwarah or a place where such company was present) and then went back to their lands as inviters - so there was always an example before the person who wanted to become strong in their beliefs.

Therefore, if there is no-one at all and the person has not had a chance to be in such an environment, its a different case to someone else who has been in such company and is now in a 'non-practicing environment..'

There are so many variables that determine this, and so is impossible to give a blanket answer..

One thing that must be said, though, is that for those who remain in non-practising environments, it is very dangerous for him/her to remain in such environments without having the worry of the Hereafter for the people around them. One must, at a minimum, pray for them (as well as oneself and their own family!) and further look to Prophetic ways of bringing positive change in these environments.
                  وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
                  Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

Originally posted by i.badat View Post

Generally, the Sahabah radiyallahu anhum ajma'een learnt Imaan (travelled to Madinatul Munawwarah or a place where such company was present) and then went back to their lands as inviters - so there was always an example before the person who wanted to become strong in their beliefs.

Therefore, if there is no-one at all and the person has not had a chance to be in such an environment, its a different case to someone else who has been in such company and is now in a 'non-practicing environment..'

There are so many variables that determine this, and so is impossible to give a blanket answer..

One thing that must be said, though, is that for those who remain in non-practising environments, it is very dangerous for him/her to remain in such environments without having the worry of the Hereafter for the people around them. One must, at a minimum, pray for them (as well as oneself and their own family!) and further look to Prophetic ways of bringing positive change in these environments.
                    Yes if you fear you've done everything you can to not allow external factors to get in the way of you and the Deen but your kinda still stuck in the same place and can't fight of the big bad wolves who huff and puff at you to destroy you. Is it better if you move and build sth stable for your akhirah because you care about it more than the fancy lifestyle your already in.

Comment

Yes if you fear you've done everything you can to not allow external factors to get in the way of you and the Deen but your kinda still stuck in the same place and can't fight of the big bad wolves who huff and puff at you to destroy you. Is it better if you move and build sth stable for your akhirah because you care about it more than the fancy lifestyle your already in.
                      The big bad wolves are only big and bad because the person has yet to learn how Great and Magnanimous Allah the Almighty is.. and the true reality of the A'maal (actions) that one does in order to be protected from these wolves. For Muslims who have learnt this ability (like the Sahabah and the Mu'mineen), not only will they not be impressed by 'non-practising environments' but they will leave their mark by presenting the Muslim life in the most beautiful and principled manner.

Whilst it logically makes sense, moving to environments that are perceived to be 'practising' have their own pitfalls. It is only when one has lived in such environments for a while that they realise the true 'religiousness' of such environments. Many people often become so dismayed when the environment that they move to does not meet their expectations!

The ideal solution is for one to develop their Iman to be like the mountains (i.e. the Sahabah radiyallahu anhum). Mountains do not move from their places, no matter what happens! In the same way, Iman and A'maal should be so entrenched in our hearts that it does not waver with the changing of environments!
                      وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
                      Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

I've lived my whole life in a non practising environment as my immediate family are not practising. I did try looking for someone religious to marry over the years but never found anyone.

The answer to your question is: it depends on the non practising environment. As a student, I used to live with non Muslims so that was a lot more challenging as they'd drink or smoke weed in the house and things like that, but I managed to get through it somehow.

I live with my parents and they aren't practising. When I started practising, my mum in particular made things difficult for me, kept berating and harassing me and said a lot of hurtful things at the time. This went on for a very long time and didn't stop until I deliberately embarrassed her in front of her friends and told her I'll keep on doing that until she desists- at which point she stopped and seems to have calmed down since then. Now we just muddle along together with a bit of a live and let live type of vibe in the house so we have different perspectives on things but have learned to accept it.

Alhamdulilah at least my parents now are at a point where if I say I can't do something because it is haram, they'd accept that and stop trying to push me into things. Having said that, I also know that my brother is not like that. If I say I can't do something because it is haram, he'll nag and nag and get pushy about it to try and coerce me into it. So he's a different type of non practising person and I'm convinced that if I lived with him, he'd try to force me to give up on practising certain things. This is why I'm so afraid of losing my parents, because I am too ill and dependent on them that I can't look after myself and also because if I lived with him instead, he'd try to bully and force me into things I cannot accept. He seems like an approachable and caring person and usually he is, but when it comes to the deen, he behaves more like his dismissive athiest friends who act like religion is for naive fools and "because Allah said so" is not a convincing reason for anything. He also doesn't understand my illness so is inconsiderate about that as well.

So there are varying degrees of not practising. A lot depends on whether you're with non practising people who still respect that you are practising, or whether you are with non practising people who keep putting pressure on you to change.
                        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

My non muslim family are not the type to drink or eat pork in front of me but I do feel that my iman isn't as strong when I visit them for a few days.

They have pictures and little angle statues all over their house so it makes it harder to stay focused. I always feel like a massive weight has been lifted off me when I leave.

I am usually in a fairly practicing environment so I personally feel much worse when I am not.

Comment

If you struggle to keep up your values in an environment where people have different values then that is a weakness in you or your values.

If you don't have confidence in the values you are following then you will soon be following someone else's values.

Comment

Toxic environment isnt good for anyone no matter how strong you. And sabr in islam doesnt mean you stay there and take it and show them how strong you are, sabr means to move yourself away from toxic people as soon as you can, because islam doesnt tolerate oppression. And yes a non practising environment can or even is oppressive.

Comment

Working...
                              X