"You have to be older to recite Surah Mulk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You have to be older to recite Surah Mulk"

So I almost made it a habit to read Surah Al Mulk before bed each night and I told my mom about it today and she told me that it's a 'heavy' Surah and I shouldn't be reading it yet, that I have to be older to read it?(I'm 15) I pressed her to tell my why age matters and the only thing she told me that if you misread the verses it'll be really bad, but if that happens on accident I don't see why that's a problem since Allah will forgive that right?(we're not native Arabs and I started reading the Quran properly two/three years ago)

Then I asked about I think Surah Noor, the Surah you read on Fridays to be guided for like the next Friday? She was like nah you're not old enough for that one either, and she said my elder sister started reading that after 20.

She told me to read yaseen instead but that's a pretty long Surah and I don't think I'll be able to consistently do it. She was like, I'll realize why she was saying this in a few years. But I want to know why now. It doesn't make any sense to me why age matters. And also she made me go through the whole Quran anyway with a qari so I received those surahs anyway?

Does age have any significance or is it just another cultural hocus pocus?(There's a lot of that over here. Like unnecessarily swiping scissors bringing ill omen or something).

I don't know where your mum got that idea from. I do know that certain surahs have a certain significance and can affect people in unexpected ways. Like my cousin (who was a teenager at the time) said he was reciting one particular surah at night and the next day he woke up with a fever. He spoke to his parents and they said something about how the surah contains verses about hellfire and is known to have this side effect of heating up the body and that different surahs can affect people in different ways. Perhaps that's why certain surahs are considered more ideal to read in particular circumstances such as for relieving distress or for shifa/healing or to ward off evil eye etc.

Although I don't know the root cause of why your mum said that (maybe she does have a valid reason) but I'm sure she's wrong about you being too young to read such things. There's no prohibition in Islam about reading certain verses only when you've reached a certain age. On top of that, Islamically you're considered an adult when you reach puberty, which is why some of the Sahaba (ra) were getting married and having kids when they were 13 and leading armies when they were your age. If they were old enough to take on such major adult responsibilities, what could possibly hold a Muslim back from something as simple as reading certain surahs at your age? It doesn't make sense. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say maybe some verses in that surah refer to intimate matters or husband wife relationships and so culturally people were expected to avoid reciting or discussing the meanings of those particular surahs until children are considered old enough.

One of my relatives told me when she was 13, she went to a teacher to read Quran daily and go through translations/tafsir verse by verse, but they were about to encounter one particular verse (I can't remember whether it was about marital relations or menstrual cycle). Anyway when the day came and they'd finished going through the tafsir of the previous verse, their teacher literally skipped the verse that was deemed too controversial for them to hear about and then she just started teaching them the verse after it. It was a very wrong way of dealing with the situation as it would've been an ideal teaching moment to show them the Islamic view on such matters, but in her culture, it was commonplace to just avoid talking or teaching about such matters as if such things don't exist.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

As you have reached the age of 15 you are considered an adult in Islam, even if you are physically a "late developer". Therefore I can see no reasons for such restrictions be placed on which surahs you read. With my kids, we stayed away from ayat discussing more delicate subjects until the kids were older, but as they approach puberty some of these surahs became a major focus of our discussions, for example surahs discussing protecting the private parts and those detailing the punishments that Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa has prepared for those that disobey Him. I can't see any reason why you, as an adult, shouldn't read, learn from, and take into your life lessons from all parts of the Qur'an.
      Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

As-salamu 'alaikum,

I don't know of any age restrictions either. Also, no-one knows when they'll die, so delaying from accumulating rewards while having the chance wouldn't be encouraged. Also, many-times when we start a good habit while young, it stays with us. Maybe try and ask your mother (nicely) what the matter is? Or try and help her see the blessings and rewards of reciting.

The content/reminders in Surah Mulk are similar to Surah Ya-Seen, in that they both mention Allah's favours, ability, creation, good news, warnings, being thankful and not the opposite, etc. Have a read of their translations.

The Surah read on Friday is Surah 18, Al-Kahf. It has reminders about Allah, His Oneness, good news for good-doers, warnings for the opposite, and 4 very interesting stories, carrying lessons: 1) the people of the cave, 2) the man with the two gardens, 3) Musa (as) meeting a wise slave of Allah called Khidr (as), 4) Dhul-Qarnayn, a just ruler. Tafsir Ibn Kathir says he was a king.

I don't know why age restriction would apply...
        • "Whoever recites Surat al-Kahf on Friday will have a light between this Friday and the next."
        • "Whoever reads Surat al-Kahf as it was revealed, there will be a light for him on the Day of Resurrection."
        • [al-Sunan al-Kubra 5856, Sahih according to Al-Albani]

Reciting Qur'an is a very easy way of gaining rewards, in sha Allah.
        • "Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will receive one good deed as ten good deeds like it. I do not say that Alif Lam Mim is one letter, but rather Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter, and Mim is a letter." [Sahih, al-Tirmidhi]

And:
        • "One who is proficient in the Qur'an is associated with the noble, upright, recording angels; and he who falters in it, and finds it difficult for him, will have a double reward." [Sahih, Muslim]

We've been given so much encouragement to recite Allah's Words. How many deeds we may do, not knowing what potential reward count may be in it, but about Qur'an, those above Ahadith have told us some things!

So, apparently Surah Mulk has over 1300 letters, so x10 that's more than 13000 good deeds each night for just this Surah!

And if a person struggles with reciting, it's double: more than 26000 good deeds!

We all hope, and are given hope, that unintentional mistakes will be excused.
        • "Actions are (judged) by intentions (Niyyah), so every person will have what he intended." [Sahih Bukhari]

Allah knows what's deliberate and what's sincere effort. And again, the one who finds it hard to recite is encouraged not to give up.

Regarding, pronouncing words wrong (when one doesn't have a teacher, though a teacher is the BEST method) - it can be avoided, in sha Allah, by listening (repeatedly/regularly) and copying (reading along or just listening) to clear recitations by well known reciters who recite correctly, e.g. Mishary Al-Afasy. Another benefit of listening to reciters regularly and on-repeat is that it helps with becoming familiar with Surahs and can help with memorising quicker, in sha Allah.

Many recitations can be found online, such as these, https://quranicaudio.com/ .

May Allah make reciting easy and beautiful for us all, ameen.

Comment

It was narrated from Aisha that the Messenger of Allah (ï·º) said:

"The one who is proficient with the Qur'an will be with the noble and righteous scribes (the angels), and the one who reads it and stumbles over it, finding it difficult, will have a double reward."

Sunan Ibn Majah 3779

Comment

Working...
          X