Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCD and islam

I have a OCD.
    I repeat verses in salah several times. I spend 20 mins doing istinja and 15 mins washing hands. I spend 30 mins doing wudu. All this has put me off praying and I've been really neglecting my prayers.

istinja: how much needs to be washed? I heard that everywhere water spreads becomes naajis? Do inner thighs have to be washed too?

washing hands: my hands are honestly becoming ugly. I rub ALOT. Advice? I feel like if i dont keep rubbing it will stay dirty. Can splashes on arms be ignored?

Salah: verses never sound right on my tongue and I repeat several times. When I finish salah I'm exhausted.

wudu: I'm not going to lie...this is the hardest.
    When washing hands (amd arms) and feet I feel like the water doesn't reach the nails or the skin around it and I keep rubbing. Do I have to do this?
    Face: I rub my sideburns but I don't know how far up to rub. As some hair comes down from the hairline which is above the sideburns. The jawline? If I told my head up or tilt my head down, the limit or different. And i feel like the water never reached my hairline.

How do you all do wudu?

I also feel a constant urge to urinate and urine leaking. And i don't know if it's just waswasa or not. Most times I check and find nothing. Occasionally I find wetness. And one time after praying I checked myself and found clear discharge lower down a little bit but I don't know if this was from the bladder or just natural female discharge. Was my salah valid?

Basically all these factors have been making me neglect my salah. I'm also neglecting my studies and I'm scared I'm going to fail. Everytime I need to urinate I get anxiety because I take so long in the bathroom. (2 hours when I wake up). I try not to drink too many liquids. I want to pray 5 times a day again but the whole process of purity scares me because I take so long. When this first started, I tried to pray my 5 prayers but I would take so long in the bathroom I would miss the prayer time which in turn made me cry alot.

I am looking for a therapist but it would be nice to know how everyone else does wudu and wash hands and what they think.

You put '7' twice in your username.

Comment

There is a hadith which explains how much water is sufficient in order to be clean for wudhu.  It actually isn't a large amount, only a few handfuls of water are sufficient to perform wudhu.  Bear in mind, the Prophet (saw) and Sahaba (ra) lived in the desert, where water wasn't that abundant, so they didn't obsess over getting every millimetre of their arms and necks wet, they just poured over a small but sufficient amount of water 3 times and the wudhu was done.  The problem is not with the salah itself, but rather with the obsessive feeling that you felt you weren't doing it sufficiently and kept repeating those steps unnecessarily.  

Rather than go through the details of wudhu and salah with a fine tooth comb, it would be better to seek treatment for the OCD.  Whether that means consulting a respectable genuine raqi or whether that means going to a doctor and asking what treatment options are available (or even do both- medicine and Islamic spiritual treatments don't have to be mutually exclusive).
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
        Yes. I did it on purpose.

Comment

Jazakallah Khair. This was helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
            Incredible.
            You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister1234567789 View Post
              I have a OCD.
              I repeat verses in salah several times. I spend 20 mins doing istinja and 15 mins washing hands. I spend 30 mins doing wudu. All this has put me off praying and I've been really neglecting my prayers.

istinja: how much needs to be washed? I heard that everywhere water spreads becomes naajis? Do inner thighs have to be washed too?

washing hands: my hands are honestly becoming ugly. I rub ALOT. Advice? I feel like if i dont keep rubbing it will stay dirty. Can splashes on arms be ignored?

Salah: verses never sound right on my tongue and I repeat several times. When I finish salah I'm exhausted.

When washing hands (amd arms) and feet I feel like the water doesn't reach the nails or the skin around it and I keep rubbing. Do I have to do this?
              Face: I rub my sideburns but I don't know how far up to rub. As some hair comes down from the hairline which is above the sideburns. The jawline? If I told my head up or tilt my head down, the limit or different. And i feel like the water never reached my hairline.

How do you all do wudu?

I also feel a constant urge to urinate and urine leaking. And i don't know if it's just waswasa or not. Most times I check and find nothing. Occasionally I find wetness. And one time after praying I checked myself and found clear discharge lower down a little bit but I don't know if this was from the bladder or just natural female discharge. Was my salah valid?

Basically all these factors have been making me neglect my salah. I'm also neglecting my studies and I'm scared I'm going to fail. Everytime I need to urinate I get anxiety because I take so long in the bathroom. (2 hours when I wake up). I try not to drink too many liquids. I want to pray 5 times a day again but the whole process of purity scares me because I take so long. When this first started, I tried to pray my 5 prayers but I would take so long in the bathroom I would miss the prayer time which in turn made me cry alot.

I am looking for a therapist but it would be nice to know how everyone else does wudu and wash hands and what they think.
              Stop caring. That's the real solution.

If you feel you will get punished; fine. No problem. Just stop caring.

You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister1234567789 View Post
                I have a OCD.

How do you all do wudu?

All of this, from top to bottom, is from the devil - the Shaytan whose main goal is to make worshiping Allah a burden on you. His end goal is for you to leave the worship of Allah altogether and to then leave the religion of Allah.

It seems he has had a lot of success with you.

Know one thing: Allah has made worship (wudu, salah, etc.) easy. It is not burdensome at all. If you feel burden and anxiety, it's from the Shaytan.

How to deal with whispers from the Shaytan in worship:

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1484...t-purification
                Ablution based on the Sunna of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8DbMqQTgY&t=4s

Comment

Working...
                X