Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Your Mind Sharp

Assalamu alaykum

Does anyone else go through periods where their IQ drops like 10 points or something? Somedays I feel really sharp and witty, but other days I'm dull and "weak-minded".

Do I have mental health issues or does everyone else have good days and bad days? What are some ways to keep the mind consistently sharp?

Jazak Allahu Khayr

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
    Assalamu alaykum

Does anyone else go through periods where their IQ drops like 10 points or something? Somedays I feel really sharp and witty, but other days I'm dull and "weak-minded".

Do I have mental health issues or does everyone else have good days and bad days? What are some ways to keep the mind consistently sharp?

Jazak Allahu Khayr
    By the way the 10 IQ points isn't literal, but it kind of feels that way. One day you're sharp and potent; the other day you can't focus and produce as well even if you tried.

Some idea that come to mind:

1. Read books/articles (instead of comments and posts)
    2. Memorize the Quran daily
    3. Eat healthy
    4. Exercise daily

The difficult part is getting through that day/period successfully. Wallahi it can be a Fitna at times.

Comment

Wa alaykum salaam

Forget having days of feeling weak minded & dull, I feel as though I’ve lived the last few years of my life in that state.¬¬†

this is a good recipe for memory & increasing sharpness - add one eating spoon of ground barley wheat to a cup of milk & leave it on low heat whilst stirring until it comes to a boil. Add honey but no sugar - it’s sunnah¬†
      https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
        Wa alaykum salaam

Forget having days of feeling weak minded & dull, I feel as though I’ve lived the last few years of my life in that state.¬¬

this is a good recipe for memory & increasing sharpness - add one eating spoon of ground barley wheat to a cup of milk & leave it on low heat whilst stirring until it comes to a boil. Add honey but no sugar - it’s sunnah¬
        I feel that all the process food we eat affects our mind, mood and life as a whole gets affected.

oh yea!! that s really good I belive its called talbinah is very good and easy sunnah to practice insha Allah.

Comment

this is a good recipe for memory & increasing sharpness - add one eating spoon of ground barley wheat to a cup of milk & leave it on low heat whilst stirring until it comes to a boil. Add honey but no sugar - it’s sunnah¬
          Wow, that sounds interesting. How does it taste, and when do you recommend drinking it?

Could you by any chance source the reference? And is the drink a Sunnah on its own, or is it a Sunnah for sharpening one's memory?

Forget having days of feeling weak minded & dull, I feel as though I’ve lived the last few years of my life in that state.
          In that case you must have a lot of good techniques. Keep em' coming, inshaAllah.

Comment

Praise be to Allaah. 

Talbeenah is mentioned in a number of saheeh ahaadeeth, such as the following: 

(a) 

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), that if a member of her family died, the women would gather together, then they would depart, except her own relatives and close friends. She would order that a pot of talbeenah be cooked, then some thareed would be made and the talbeenah would be poured over it. Then she would say: Eat some of it, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Talbeenah soothes the heart of the sick person, and it takes away some of the grief.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5101; Muslim, 2216.¬†

(b) 

It was narrated from her (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she would order that talbeenah be made for the sick and the one who was mourning a death, and she used to say: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Talbeenah soothes the heart of the sick and takes away some of the grief.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5365; Muslim, 2216 

It is clear from these two hadeeths that talbeenah is used to treat the sick and to reduce the grief of one who is grieving, soothing his heart and giving him energy. 

Talbeenah is a broth that is made from two spoonfuls of barley flour with bran, then a cup of water is added to that and it is cooked over a low fire for five minutes. 

Some people add a spoonful of honey to it. 

It is called talbeenah because it is like milk (laban) in its whiteness and consistency. 

That’s from Islam QA and although they say it’s made with water, you can make it with milk too. As per the narrations, it was made for when people were grieving & it’s said to give the person energy. The actual drink is a sunnah - it’s not a sunnah for sharpening ones memory but I remember ages ago when I was complaining of sometimes being absent minded and forgetful etc I was advised by an Egyptian student of knowledge to have make this & drink it¬†

Comment

Read books,articles and newspapers.Read self help books by tony buzan for example. Do crosswords.Be mindful in your day to day life. Do maths and watch documentaries. Study.

Comment

My tips on keeping the mind sharp:

Have hijama done on the sunnah days as & when you can. Have hijama done on your head & on the sunnah points. People often turn to hijama only when they are in some sort of pain, but it should be used as a general detox 

Fasting Monday’s & Thursdays or at least 3 days each month I believe helps keep the mind sharp. I definitely think that what we eat affects our mind & fasting can help with this Insha allah¬†

Learning Arabic really helps keep the mind sharp in my opinion. 

Avoid excessive sleep. Rise early in the morning & ensure all adhkaar are done at the correct time.

& lastly, try and get fresh air every single day. 

Comment

This happens to me a lot so its usual. Especially when I'm on a study break for example the summer holidays or after graduation this year.

The best way to keep it up is to read intellectually engaging books and content.

- One way to get instant baraka for your mind is reading the Qur'an and doing goods, and avoiding sins.

Its true - the classical scholars correlated memory loss to sins (when they couldn't memorize Islamic knowledge, like a hadith i think, they related it to their sins).

Other ways:

- To read Qur'an and think really hard but with engagement and humility about its verses. You get sakina (tranquility from reading the Qur'an). Sometimes I see sakina as healing - and the Qur'an is a healing - and it does soothe so that can have good effects on the mind.

- Avoiding sins - clears your heart and conscious so you can focus your mind on intellectual activities. Sins decrease baraka - so intelligence and mind power which is a blessing.

- Gratitude - gratitude increases blessings - if you give thanks, Allah will give you more - yet ingratitude is a sin, and sins decrease blessings.

- Reading more - you can then learn new things and pick up on writing styles and good grammar. You develop a critical mind by reading more - start with the best writers to make yourself accustomed to analytical writing to discern how to make good arguments yourself.

- Writing more - this helps with being confident to write out your own views and have a good command of your own writing style and voice.

I ask Allah to increase you in Islamic 'ilm, all useful knowlege, intellect and sharpness of mind, but also gratitude and humility to Allah and His creation by helping them with your mind, ameen.
                  وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
                    This happens to me a lot so its usual. Especially when I'm on a study break for example the summer holidays or after graduation this year.

The best way to keep it up is to read intellectually engaging books and content.

- One way to get instant baraka for your mind is reading the Qur'an and doing goods, and avoiding sins.

Its true - the classical scholars correlated memory loss to sins (when they couldn't memorize Islamic knowledge, like a hadith i think, they related it to their sins).

Other ways:

- To read Qur'an and think really hard but with engagement and humility about its verses. You get sakina (tranquility from reading the Qur'an). Sometimes I see sakina as healing - and the Qur'an is a healing - and it does soothe so that can have good effects on the mind.

- Avoiding sins - clears your heart and conscious so you can focus your mind on intellectual activities. Sins decrease baraka - so intelligence and mind power which is a blessing.

- Gratitude - gratitude increases blessings - if you give thanks, Allah will give you more - yet ingratitude is a sin, and sins decrease blessings.

- Reading more - you can then learn new things and pick up on writing styles and good grammar. You develop a critical mind by reading more - start with the best writers to make yourself accustomed to analytical writing to discern how to make good arguments yourself.

- Writing more - this helps with being confident to write out your own views and have a good command of your own writing style and voice.

I ask Allah to increase you in Islamic 'ilm, all useful knowlege, intellect and sharpness of mind, but also gratitude and humility to Allah and His creation by helping them with your mind, ameen.
                    Really good advice. JazakAllahu Khayr.

Comment

Who are the best writers? Do you recommend anyone specific?

Comment

Other ways:

Beautiful post sis. May Allah subhanahu wa ta aala reward you with goodness in both worlds

Comment

Other ways:

Barak Allah feeki (:

may Allah reward u, and allow all of us to bring into our lives ameen

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

Who are the best writers? Do you recommend anyone specific?
                            When I was writing the words "best writers" I was specifically thinking of reading credible publications like the Guardian. I cite them, because from the beginning of my A Levels I read their newspaper every day without fail. I think that was before their internet site got big, so it was the paper copy.

I think reading with paper versions help you critically absorb info in the best way.

Any-who it led to my writing style becoming better - more verbose but sophisticated - exponentially. I also learnt how to write and think politically and to take in advanced concepts.

There are some writers who are very talented not just in conveying their stories but just in style. F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Orwell, Nabokov (need to read his stuff more but this is what I have heard about him) and also philosophers/sociologists such as Franz Fanon, Germaine Greer and Edward Said write wonderfully.

It seems a lot of theorists do have really good grasps of writing well.

Islamic writers who write well - Ibn Taymiya (he writes very well but truthfully, which somehow comes together to make his writing more beautiful - must be Allah's blessings. His writing is amazing subhanAllah) and Imam Quturbi.

Also I am not saying anyone can speak like Rasoolullah PBUH but our Prophet PBUH spoke so eloquently. You can just read hadiths to take in the beauty of our Prophet PBUH's speech and learn about his teachings.
                            وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

LailaTheMuslim posted literally what I was going to say, Suban'Allah trontron!

All I can add is links for further reading but the posts here sum it all up!

https://draxe.com/health/brain-fog/
                              https://yaqeeninstitute.org/justin-p...ic-meditation/
                              http://musliminc.com/7-ways-to-boost...he-sunnah-8360
                              https://tryingtobemuslim.blogspot.co...-mind.html?m=0
                              https://www.inc.com/larry-kim/7-simp...elligence.html
                              Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Comment

Working...
                              X