Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Sisters only) Asian ladieswear: shalwar kameez, kurtis etc

Salam,

Do any of you know of good websites that sell Asian ladieswear such as shalwar kameez or kurtis etc? I'm specifically looking for places that sell cotton, lawn or linen kurtis that cost under £25 or shalwar kameezzes for under £30. The outfits should have long sleeves and should not have a low neck. These are for wearing at home and I'm not looking for anything flashy or shiny. As I'm housebound, I no longer am able to get to Southall to browse the shops myself so am looking for stuff that can be delivered to my house.

I've seen adverts online for such shops but I don't know if they're reliable, if the stuff they send looks anything like the pictures in the adverts so I'd feel reassured if anyone can vouch for an outlet that has been tried and tested.

I saw this advertised on facebook: has anyone tried it out and if so, what was your experience with it? https://www.damak.co.uk/

• neelu
    replied
    This is very helpful jazakillah khayr

Originally posted by Veracity View Post
    Janan do clothing from a variety of designers so I couldn't vouch for all of them. I've bought from Janan in Birmingham and I guess it's all the same. The limelight and Gul Ahmed ready made kurtas didn't shrink or colour bleed. I prefer unstitched and if you buy unstitched, it's best to wash the fabric before you get it stitched, so that if it does shrink it won't affect the final size. I've bought Baroque, Rang Rasiya, Agha Noor and few others and they didn't bleed colour. However, I do prefer chiffon thou and maybe the other materials would colour run when washed. Not sure if this post was at all useful.

Leave a comment:

• Veracity
    replied
    Janan do clothing from a variety of designers so I couldn't vouch for all of them. I've bought from Janan in Birmingham and I guess it's all the same. The limelight and Gul Ahmed ready made kurtas didn't shrink or colour bleed. I prefer unstitched and if you buy unstitched, it's best to wash the fabric before you get it stitched, so that if it does shrink it won't affect the final size. I've bought Baroque, Rang Rasiya, Agha Noor and few others and they didn't bleed colour. However, I do prefer chiffon thou and maybe the other materials would colour run when washed. Not sure if this post was at all useful.

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    I've looked up several places online but ruled them out for various reasons. I checked out diya but they had little to no proper cotton outfits and the few that they had weren't to my taste. My parents do go to Southall occasionally and sometimes bring back fabrics from there which I've used in the past. I often let them know what fabric and what colour I'm looking for and they keep an eye open for me. They are retired and not very tech savvy though so wouldn't know how to make a video call and the family members who are young enough to know wouldn't have time to go to Southall or Green Street etc for me.

I think Janan look good but very over priced which puts me off. Having said that, if anyone can vouch for them that their clothes don't colour run or shrink in the wash etc then I'd consider ordering from them in future just for the peace of mind of actually getting a reasonable product that doesn't cause all these headaches.

The problem isn't the sizing guide. I bought the item in the correct size and it fit me perfectly.... until I put it in a cool wash which caused it to shrink. Generally a cool wash shouldn't do that.

I've ordered non Asian clothes online in the past such as from ASOS and NEVER EVER EVER encountered any problems like this. Even with the really cheap £7-8 dresses none of them shrank or bled out colours in the wash and every returned item was refunded without incident.
    Last edited by neelu; 07-09-19, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Veracity
    replied
    Sister, have you tried diyaonline? Personally I don't like buying clothing items online as it's never as you expect but if that's your only option then google diyaonline. The site should have a sizing guide so it should make it easier to order the correct size. I'm not sure if they do a lawn collection thou. Also some shops in Southall or even Green St might have instagram pages. Have a look on there and they might be able to post/ deliver it to you. Also, if you have somebody who can go shopping for you, they can go into a shop and video call you so you can choose your outfits.

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Originally posted by neelu View Post
    I wound up ordering shalwar kameezzes from 3 different places and every single one has had problems. I returned one outfit to suits me but they didn't refund it and the other outfit I got from there has shrunk in the wash. I bought two outfits from ebay which look and fit okay but smell of mothballs even after 2 washes. I did get a kurti from damak and although it looks too big for me, I'll wait and see if it shrinks to the right size in the wash before drawing any conclusions. ALL items have colour run problems even in the cool wash.

They look okay and were a decent price but this is quite frustrating.
    It's difficult to buy stuff online as we don't know what to expect.

Marks and Spencer's do some nice tunics which are modest, comfortable and they last long.

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    I wound up ordering shalwar kameezzes from 3 different places and every single one has had problems. I returned one outfit to suits me but they didn't refund it and the other outfit I got from there has shrunk in the wash. I bought two outfits from ebay which look and fit okay but smell of mothballs even after 2 washes. I did get a kurti from damak and although it looks too big for me, I'll wait and see if it shrinks to the right size in the wash before drawing any conclusions. ALL items have colour run problems even in the cool wash.

They look okay and were a decent price but this is quite frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    If you know the fb page link, then please send me that- jazakillah khayr. I don't use WhatsApp. I haven't had problems finding dresses online, it's more shalwar kameezzes and kurtas, especially ones that are 100% cotton, long sleeved and not tabarruj.

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
    One of my friend's¬* owns a shop, which does really comfortable shalwar kameez.¬*

If you're interested, I can PM you her number and she can send you what she has in stock via WhatsApp, and you can arrange delivery etc.¬*

Let me know if you're interested. I think she has an FB page, but no website.¬*

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    I haven't ordered from Damak. But Modanisa does some lovely clothing. Not Shalwar Kameez though, more dresses.¬*

The Selma Sari range is comfortable for home wear and modest too.¬*

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    One of my friend's¬* owns a shop, which does really comfortable shalwar kameez.¬*

If you're interested, I can PM you her number and she can send you what she has in stock via WhatsApp, and you can arrange delivery etc.¬*

Let me know if you're interested. I think she has an FB page, but no website.¬*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X