This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neelu View Post
    I think the bigger question is why do you feel ashamed of people seeing your real face without make up? What exactly has dented your self esteem that much, that you dislike being seen as you really are? Was it the fashion magazines? The adverts for beauty products? The beauty vloggers? The competing nature of displaying the most liked selfies on Instagram? Or the gossiping aunties who whisper mean comments about anyone who looks less than perfect?

Who are they to tell you that you're not worthy of showing your real face to the world? Who are they to tell you that stepping outside without that lipstick, eyeshadow and foundation will diminish your self worth? These are the real questions you should find the answers to- not why the masjid has a no make up policy.
    It is not that I feel unworthy without makeup, I just look very different and unready without. I wear full makeup every day so it is a surprise to see my lips bare and skin flawed. It would be like going in public the way I woke up.

Comment

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
      How are these 'stylish' women able to be stylish without make up but not you? Are yout intentions for going to the masjid sincere? Are you there for Allah swt or to impress stylish women?
      I did not think of that.

Comment

I like collecting make up. Bad habit.

I'm not interested in wearing it everyday. It's really gross having to block my face, during special occasions after two hours I'm ready to take it off and breathe.

I think this is a good challenge for you. Use Kohl, moisturise your face and lips. Wear clean clothes and say Bismillah.

well done to the mosque for taking good steps like this

Do you use vegan make up?

The more people see you bare faced, the better because they will get used to seeing you like that. Then you won't care much about covering your 'flaws' which are perfectly humane.

​​​​​I've seen many sisters go to the mosque with make up and dressed in a way as though they are attending a party.
        The abayas are floor swiping and the dirt is left on the trailer of the dress.

The people that have to postrate behind them have to avoid putting their face on the dirty fabrics.

I only went a couple of times to see the hype. It's not compulsory for me and I didn't see anything that made it great. Just sisters dressed up.

Praying at home is more convenient for me and much more peaceful.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

It shows how leniant things have become for us that dressing like ypu are attendibg a wedding is accepted in a masjid. Even at funerals, like who's looking at Your face (not you op just general). But at the same time masjids are for every Muslim so it's not wise to block people from going.

Comment

Originally posted by usernametaken View Post
            It shows how leniant things have become for us that dressing like ypu are attendibg a wedding is accepted in a masjid. Even at funerals, like who's looking at Your face (not you op just general). But at the same time masjids are for every Muslim so it's not wise to block people from going.
            ​​​​​​
            I don't see it as blocking people in this situation because make up is not a matter of life and death. It's something you don't need to wear but people are made to feel like it's part of their living. I mean sisters like this fear leaving the house without it. That's how much damage society has done to women.

I think for the betterment of community it was the necessary initiative to take. It's a good way to teach and influence people.

Lets hope they tell brothers that wear skinny jeans to wear something appropriate instead.

​​​​​​
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

​​​​​​
              I don't see it as blocking people in this situation because make up is not a matter of life and death. It's something you don't need to wear but people are made to feel like it's part of their living. I mean sisters like this fear leaving the house without it. That's how much damage society has done to women.

I think for the betterment of community it was the necessary initiative to take. It's a good way to teach and influence people.

Lets hope they tell brothers that wear skinny jeans to wear something appropriate instead.

​​​​​​
              That's true. There's too much fear of being seen as 'extreme'or being unpopular so this is actually really good.

Comment

Assalaamu 'alaykoum, is wearing kohl outside not considered adorning oneself?
                Last edited by Humble Mu'minah; 28-03-19, 03:10 PM.
                :shahadah:

Comment

Originally posted by I Abbasi View Post

I did not think of that.
                  You'll feel accomplished when you realise you were imprisoned by your own fears

Take it from someone that has blemishes on their forhead and chin. I've had families say it to my face but because I don't care, neither does anyone else.

I also had serious self esteem issues. Couldn't make eye contact with anyone during my late teens.

I never resorted to make up as a solution.

Everyone deals with personal challenges differently so just see it as an opportunity for you to empower yourself in Sha Allah. Don't be a slave to your insecurities.

Comment

It's pretty disturbing that you feel upset about not being able to wear make-up inside a mosque. A masjid is a place devoted to worship Allah, not to act like a fashionista.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah does not look at your appearance or your wealth, but He looks at your hearts and your deeds." ( Muslim)

Sister, your obsession with make-up is unnatural. You suffer from extremely low self-worth.

Why are you so scared of rejection that you refuse to show your real face in public, that you cannot leave your house without painting on a fake one ? Why can you not be your natural self and have your brain and personality discovered as it is ? Why do you feel so worthless as a human that you have to try to sell yourself to the world, because unless you put on a show, they might not buy?

Women will always and forever argue that by painting their faces they are just highlighting what they have been gifted naturally. Well, plucking your eyebrows next to nothing ain't highlighting, it's deleting. Putting two layers of foundation on your face, changing the color of your skin ain't highlighting, it's covering. Applying three coats of super-lash mascara (so that you can bat your eyelashes at every male you come across) is not highlighting, it's layering. Rubbing on lipstick four times darker than your actual lip color is not highlighting, it's drawing and framing. I'm not saying that women who wear makeup and revealing clothes are substandard, I'm just saying that they think they are. A make-up wearing, figure-revealing-clothes wearing woman who reads this will surely be insulted that I tell her she has no self-worth, especially since she thinks she's drop-dead gorgeous!!! The problem is she only thinks she's gorgeous when she's all made up, smashed in clothes not her size. Take all that I've listed above away and this same woman refuses to leave her house. If that's not low self-worth then I must not know what it is...Honestly!

There are two ways a woman can deal with her appearance. The first is to let herself be ruled by it, and the second way is to let the woman rule it. In the first instance, where the woman is ruled by her appearance, she cuts her sleep short for more time in the morning to put her makeup on before she goes to work. She purposely turns her skin cells cancerous for a 'healthy' looking tan, and lets her mental health be constantly under siege with questions about her self-worth and the stress of competing with other women--and men!

It's no wonder that thousands of women worldwide are bulimic or anorexic, or just obsessed about their looks. Oh no, my lips are too pale!--Too pale for what? ALLAH, Subhanwataala, makes no mistakes.

I have to lose five pounds or else! Or else the men who stare recreationally at me will be grossed out and then no one will think I'm pretty! Then how will I attract a man? --What? Use my mind and personality? Come on man, is that a joke?

In the second instance, where the woman rules her appearance, she puts her priorities in order and chooses much-needed sleep over the forty-five minutes it takes to get dolled-up in the morning. She does not put herself at risk by bleaching or tanning her skin, she doesn't give herself anaemia or anorexia trying to be visually pleasing to the thousands of men who see her every day and don't give a damn--unless she happens to be putting up a "good" show ... which she isn't. She wakes up one hour before work, total, and gets dressed, eats breakfast, and leaves. She eats and exercises to maintain her well-being and has a healthy attitude towards food and also towards herself as an intelligent human. She knows that she has a right to be thought of as wonderful no matter what she looks like on the outside, and she's in conscious rebellion against the eye-candy culture of the 'modern' civilization.

In a civilized culture such as Islam, the facade of unnatural beauty is seen as a lie, and natural beauty is seen as a private affair. Emphasis is placed not on external beauty, but instead on internal beauty of which all women have equal potential. All men are created equal, why not, therefore, all women? Where unnatural beauty is caked on, rubbed in, or drawn on, natural beauty is cultured by nobility of character, mercy, honesty, forgiveness, compassion, intelligence and other such Islamically recommended traits in Muslims of both genders.

Islam switches the gauge of woman's worth from outer beauty to inner beauty and brains. How? Since sexuality is no longer a public affair, the yard stick has to be taped next to personality and intelligence instead.

A woman who wears Hijab and follows the Shariah allows herself to be judged only by who she is, what she says and does, how she interacts, and not on what was allotted to her physically.

On the other hand, women who let their beauty and anatomy hang in the breeze can be easily compared, scrutinized, dissected and categorized. A 'beautiful' woman (with make-up, inadequate clothing, mental complexes involving her self-worth etc-) is a good woman regardless of whether she is a malicious gossip or has double standards or is a tyrant in her own home. An 'ugly' woman (with no makeup, modest clothing, realistic attitude about the impermanence and irrelevance of beauty) is a bad woman, no matter how kind, how intelligent or how compassionate she is.

What is happening today is this: a 'beautiful' woman feels as though she somehow had a hand in her creation; Aauthuoobillah, is proud of her looks, acts as though her good features are the direct results of her hard work somehow, and not at all to a combination of genes completely outside of her sphere of influence. One wonders; what's the point of turning yourself into a walking aphrodisiac to begin with? Why start the mower if you're not going to cut the grass with every man on the street? It certainly doesn't contribute to a woman's dignity! If a woman wants her worth to be judged by internal merits, then she won't over-shadow them with a display of flesh that historically, biologically and inevitably arouses lust. Not respect or honor or reverence.

Islam frees women from being every man's eye-candy, and clearly states that her appearance and sexuality are not public domain. They are a privilege bestowed upon only those who are worthy, and worthiness is determined by whether or not one is fit to spend a lifetime with you. That means your soul mate--your husband.

Islam has shown itself to be absolutely the most uplifting religion for women, period. As long as she maintains her Islamic dress code and it is within the preview of the Islamic Shariah, a Muslim woman has been given the right to vote, right to own, right to inherit, right to speak, right to be judged on internal factors. Islam rescues women kind from being overshadowed by her sexuality and gives a woman back her humanity. Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah.

Comment

Jazaaki'LLAHu khayran sister for the reminder.
                      :shahadah:

Comment

Who is that one person that liked the OP?

This thread is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post
                          Who is that one person that liked the OP?

This thread is stupid.
                          You can click on the Like counter to see who liked a post.

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Comment

Working...
                          X