Mental Health is Not Ignored in Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poster View Post

I think we're misunderstanding each other. It's possible to be insane for a period of time then become sane again, agreed?

The pen is lifted for them for the time they're insane and if they recover they're held accountable again.
    ive also read this before

Comment

Originally posted by Poster View Post

"Based on the above discussion on the definition of accountability from an Islamic point of view, what makes a person qualified to be accountable, and what is expected of him, and based on what we have discussed about the nature of this illness and its symptoms and impact, we think that the person who is affected by it does not meet the conditions of accountability, especially in the chronic, later stages of the illness. However, when he is in a phase in which he has self-awareness and is able to control his actions and his thinking, he is accountable and must comply with the commands and prohibitions of Allah."

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1325...ll-accountable
      This seems to be an exceptional considering the following:

- Affects less than 1% of people if we take out 'environmental' factors such drug use
      - Lack of understanding of the disorder itself (by experts)
      - "...The accountable person is one who is fit to be addressed by the commands and prohibitions, so that he will be punished if he goes against that. Hence the scholars defined the accountable person as someone who is qualified to comply with religious instructions..." This should be done by someone qualified and well versed in Islam.
      - Someone can 'self diagnose' periods where they are not held accountable. This is confusing because 'self awareness' cannot be switched on and off like that. If you recognise and acknowledge your own insanity then is it really insanity?
      - The disorder includes suffering from delusions so offering support can be challenging

Having said all that, there is still a fatwa: Whilst one is in a stage of affliction, they are not held accountable for certain duties. When they regain their faculties, they perform duties as normal. So the issue hasn't been ignored there.

Comment

If we are talking about anxiety, sleeping disorder ( insomania) , depression, etc..
        there is a Tv show called khawater. The tv presenter Ahmed Al Shaguiri made a brain scanning before and after Salah with khushu. They found that there is a reduction in activity in the area where the thinking occurs. You are more submitted and relaxed. So salah has a vital role in getting you out of depression and anxiety. But things like hallucination i think it needs doctor's assistance.
        here is the link of the episode
        How to Download Subtitles from YouTube. How to download closed captions (subtitles) from YouTube videos. Extract subtitles from favorite youtube video, download english, italian, french, greek, russian, spain subtitles for sitcoms, TV-Series like NCIS, Smallville, Fringe, House, Grey's Anatomy and learn languages!

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post

No, Im not talking about undiagnosed mental health issues. You are losing the point of my post.

This isn't about diagnosis vs un-diagnosis.
          If your point was about ignoring mental illnesses, then that is false, untrue, assumption.

Muslims have always accepted that some people have mental health issues, even concessions made for them.

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
            If Islam doesn't keep you mentally balanced, you're doing something wrong.
            Nope, mental illness is just an ailment like physical ones, of course Islam helps with depression but we have as of yet to compile all islamic remedies and strategies to use to counter it. Like there needs to be organization and a trained awareness of mental illness.

Our Rasool PBUH gave talbina as a food to combat sadness, so there is some recognition of depression in our religion and giving something to tackle it.

That gives precedent to use medicine and therapy and anything halal to try and help with depression:

Hazrat A’ishah (Radhi Allahu Anha) narrated that whenever one of her relatives died, the women assembled and then dispersed (returned to their houses) except her relatives and close friends. She would order that a pot of Talbina be cooked. Then Tharid (a dish prepared from meat and bread) would be prepared and the Talbina would be poured on it. A’ishah would say (to the women),“Eat of it, for I heard Allah’s Apostle (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) saying,

The talbina soothes the heart of the patient and relieves him from some of his sadness.’” Sahih Al Bukhari.

وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

This seems to be an exceptional considering the following:

- Affects less than 1% of people if we take out 'environmental' factors such drug use
              Schizophrenia is just one example of this sort of mental disorder. My initial point is that there should be a differentiation between certain types of mental disorders because some clearly aren't the same as others.

- "...The accountable person is one who is fit to be addressed by the commands and prohibitions, so that he will be punished if he goes against that. Hence the scholars defined the accountable person as someone who is qualified to comply with religious instructions..." This should be done by someone qualified and well versed in Islam.
              For sure, yes

- Someone can 'self diagnose' periods where they are not held accountable. This is confusing because 'self awareness' cannot be switched on and off like that. If you recognise and acknowledge your own insanity then is it really insanity?
              This would depend on the severity of the disorder and it'd go back to the point above regarding someone qualified dealing with it.

- The disorder includes suffering from delusions so offering support can be challenging
              I think they're given meds in conjunction with offering support

Having said all that, there is still a fatwa: Whilst one is in a stage of affliction, they are not held accountable for certain duties. When they regain their faculties, they perform duties as normal. So the issue hasn't been ignored there.
              We went off on a little tangent here. The initial response was to this comment :

If Islam doesn't keep you mentally balanced, you're doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

Nope, mental illness is just an ailment like physical ones, of course Islam helps with depression but we have as of yet to compile all islamic remedies and strategies to use to counter it. Like there needs to be organization and a trained awareness of mental illness.

Our Rasool PBUH gave talbina as a food to combat sadness, so there is some recognition of depression in our religion and giving something to tackle it.

That gives precedent to use medicine and therapy and anything halal to try and help with depression:

Hazrat A’ishah (Radhi Allahu Anha) narrated that whenever one of her relatives died, the women assembled and then dispersed (returned to their houses) except her relatives and close friends. She would order that a pot of Talbina be cooked. Then Tharid (a dish prepared from meat and bread) would be prepared and the Talbina would be poured on it. A’ishah would say (to the women),“Eat of it, for I heard Allah’s Apostle (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) saying,

The talbina soothes the heart of the patient and relieves him from some of his sadness.’” Sahih Al Bukhari.

You said nope before proceeding to post examples of how Islam helps to keeps you mentally balanced.

-_-

Comment

Regarding OCD and waswaas, Islam is actually very good at dealing with it. Subhanallah I used to get into a compulsive cycle then I saw hadiths about people with the exact same issue. Then I realised shaytaan is literally playing the same game and I've never had a more mind-opening moment.

Also, the ayah:

أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَنْ تَدْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ وَلَمَّا يَأْتِكُمْ مَثَلُ الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ ۖ مَسَّتْهُمُ الْبَأْسَاءُ وَالضَّرَّاءُ وَزُلْزِلُوا حَتَّىٰ يَقُولَ الرَّسُولُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَهُ مَتَىٰ نَصْرُ اللَّهِ ۗ أَلَا إِنَّ نَصْرَ اللَّهِ قَرِيبٌ

(Sahih International)
                  Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while such [trial] has not yet come to you as came to those who passed on before you? They were touched by poverty and hardship and were shaken until [even their] messenger and those who believed with him said,"When is the help of Allah ?" Unquestionably, the help of Allah is near.

-Sura Al-Baqarah, Ayah 214

So in my experience, with regards to waswaas, it's very easy to find cures within Islam. Sometimes, even without cure, we should just persevere. Dunya is short anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
                    i think it is
                    what resources or facilities do muslims have for mental health
                    That is a fault of the Muslims,

OP said it is not ignored in Islam,

Which is true,

The pen is lifted for one who has lost his marbles after all,

And then there is the concept of ruqyah,

And as for other mental ailments such as depression, there is dhikr which is a polish for the heart,

So if Muslims today ignore mental health, it is due to a cultural embarrassment they fear, and not due to Islam,

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post

That is a fault of the Muslims,

OP said it is not ignored in Islam,

Which is true,

The pen is lifted for one who has lost his marbles after all,

And then there is the concept of ruqyah,

And as for other mental ailments such as depression, there is dhikr which is a polish for the heart,

So if Muslims today ignore mental health, it is due to a cultural embarrassment they fear, and not due to Islam,
                      i agree

Comment

Working...
                      X