• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

First and foremost resource: al-Qur'an
    Surah Ad-Duha

Comment

depression, anxiety, ocd , post traumatic stress disorder etc

Comment

It is not fair to expect Imam to provide psychology service and every other service necessary in community. One person can not be an expert in everything. I would not expect my imam or masjid to solve my mental health issue but I do hope they know people who can help & can guide people to right connections. In my area we have Muslim Family Service by ICNA relief that offers free therapy session along with other types of financial help to people in need. But the stigma still exist. We are about 20-30 years behind American people in terms of recognizing mental health issue. In typical American culture, going to see a therapist for minor issue is like seeing a G.P: no big deal. But in our culture (the average Desi Muslim people) still are afraid to see a therapist and think only person who need to be in mental institution sees therapist. That a good beating can slap depression out of a person & a good rukyah can knock the bad omen out of anyone. Even among young people, it is not normalized yet.

I am sure my Bengali people can relate to this, that people with mental issue including autism and asparagus are called "fagol" (crazy) instead of what it really is a disease. An Depression, and postpartum depression are thrown under "laziness". Bipolar, depression, anxiety is very common in our society that are completely ignored as a real issue. Yes quran, namaz, dua and healthy diet and workout all help but sometimes recognizing the issue so you can address it is the issue. As a community it is changing and people are recognizing mental issue. Some more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

of course we have spiritual help but thats not what i thought this thread was about
          To an extent it's exactly what the thread is about.

The question however is to what extent is spiritual health and mental health connected? Let's take depression for example. What exactly is depression?

Is it the rewiring of chemicals in the brain and a misfiring of neurotransmitters? If so, how does that occur?

"For some people, an upsetting or stressful life event, such as bereavement, divorce, illness, redundancy and job or money worries, can be the cause.

Different causes can often combine to trigger depression. For example, you may feel low after being ill and then experience a traumatic event, such as a bereavement, which brings on depression."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinic...ession/causes/

I'm not going to make the case that being spiritually sound always prevents depression but I sure do believe there's a link between the two.

To be clear though, I think 'mental health' is a very broad term and it has to be broken down into categories. A person can be born with autism with its treatment being different to anxiety disorder for example. Wallahu a'lam.
          Last edited by Poster; 27-03-19, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poster View Post

To an extent it's exactly what the thread is about.

The question however is to what extent is spiritual health and mental health connected? Let's take depression for example. What exactly is depression?

Is it the rewiring of chemicals in the brain and a misfiring of neurotransmitters? If so, how does that occur?

"For some people, an upsetting or stressful life event, such as bereavement, divorce, illness, redundancy and job or money worries, can be the cause.

Different causes can often combine to trigger depression. For example, you may feel low after being ill and then experience a traumatic event, such as a bereavement, which brings on depression."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinic...ession/causes/

I'm not going to make the case that being spiritually sound always prevents depression but I sure do believe there's a link between the two.

To be clear though, I think 'mental health' is a very broad term and it has to be broken down into categories. A person can be born with autism with its treatment being different to anxiety disorder for example. Wallahu a'lam.
            True. Spirituality is a great resilience factor for mental health.

Comment

I believe some people naturally have better mental health even if they have poor spirituality. Maybe it is nature and nurture.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaahM View Post

True. Spirituality is a great resilience factor for mental health.
                Dikr is the best medicine. It soothes a heavy heart.

Comment

Originally posted by usernametaken View Post
                  I believe some people naturally have better mental health even if they have poor spirituality. Maybe it is nature and nurture.
                  Yeah almost everything has roots in both nature and nurture.

Originally posted by Khamsa_khmis View Post

Dikr is the best medicine. It soothes a heavy heart.
                  I can confirm this through recent experience. At no point during dhikr will you feel uneasy. The only problem is how long you can sustain constant continuous dhikr, it's hard to do it over extensive periods (as a beginner) and it's also hard to keep focus and concentration at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaahM View Post

Yeah almost everything has roots in both nature and nurture.

I can confirm this through recent experience. At no point during dhikr will you feel uneasy. The only problem is how long you can sustain constant continuous dhikr, it's hard to do it over extensive periods (as a beginner) and it's also hard to keep focus and concentration at all times.
                    Same. It's hard to keep going once you feel better

Comment

Same. It's hard to keep going once you feel better
                      Maybe that's why some people are fated to suffer more than others. Because that's the only way they will remember Allah regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post

It isn't hard to believe that we've got a few in our communities, mainly those from the generations that have yet to understand mental health, the severity of it and treatment management. That is due to ignorance and Allah knows best.

Mental health AND neurological conditions that some individuals mail fail to recognise include, Bipolar disorders, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD etc. Just to name a few.

We aren't disregarding the fact that our communities are certainly more enlightened and aware of mental health issues, we have made alot of progress, however, we are not where we want to be, yet.
                        Ukthi mental illnesses are accepted by the Muslim community as a whole.

Are you talking about undiagnosed illnesses?

Remember we aren't all doctors, an invisible mental illness should be diagnosed by doctors instead of joe bloggs.
                        http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

Ukthi mental illnesses are accepted by the Muslim community as a whole.

Are you talking about undiagnosed illnesses?

Remember we aren't all doctors, an invisible mental illness should be diagnosed by doctors instead of joe bloggs.
                          No, Im not talking about undiagnosed mental health issues. You are losing the point of my post.

This isn't about diagnosis vs un-diagnosis.

إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post

It isn't hard to believe that we've got a few in our communities, mainly those from the generations that have yet to understand mental health, the severity of it and treatment management. That is due to ignorance and Allah knows best.

Mental health AND neurological conditions that some individuals mail fail to recognise include, Bipolar disorders, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD etc. Just to name a few.

We aren't disregarding the fact that our communities are certainly more enlightened and aware of mental health issues, we have made alot of progress, however, we are not where we want to be, yet.
                            I agree. Its got a little better though. At least we're not associating mental illness with jinns and possessions as much anymore

Comment

I agree. Its got a little better though. At least we're not associating mental illness with jinns and possessions as much anymore
                              Alhamdullilah, that is correct though, some symptoms are caused by 'ayn and/or sihr may and they present similar to a mental health illness OR be the cause of a mental health issue.

This isn't always the case however and it may just be a medical issue with no clear aetiology/or with a definite cause.

We should't disregard the fact that alot of problems and issues today are as a result of 'ayn. If that is the case then ruqyah is necessary and the best form of ruqyah is the one from yourself.

And Allah knows best.

إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

are you saying that it isn't all jinni?
                                "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Working...
                                X