Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is playing a musical instrument such as the tabla haram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islamlife00
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Is playing a musical instrument such as the tabla haram?

I am a Hanafi, and really want to play the tabla.
    The interest started when I started listening to Sufi Qawwali music, it was a great way to keep Allah in your mind, I loved it.

However, I am now having doubts if the tabla is okay to play or not. Hadiths etc have been cited in Hanafi arguments stating that the Prophet banned musical instruments except the daff as it was the least stirring.

With all these arguments, wouldn't it all just come down to intention? I mean, I wouldn't ever be playing the tabla publicly to entertain others, and am merely doing it just for the sake of playing it and learning it. It really seems like a great instrument in my opinion. If my intentions are good, and I don't play this to the point where I am missing all my Namaz, wouldn't it be acceptable?

Also some counter arguments to some Hadiths were that it wasn't even reliable in the Sahih Al-Bukhari so I'm not sure.

Other family members have told me that playing the instrument is like bringing Shaytan and bad luck into places with my very own hands, however others who did Qawwali music were very much untouched??

There are also cases of other people like Zakir Hussain and Allah Rakha Khan who are Muslims and play the tabla. I really aspire to play this instrument.

I really need some serious advice on this. Thanks.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X