No announcement yet.

Work and the Niqab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a lot of niqaabi sisters and most work as teachers or admin staff in Islamic schools.
    I don't know if that is an option where you live?

One sister did tutoring with young primary school aged kids at a local public library. I think the staff were a bit iffy about her tutoring children with a veil on but because she was so good at the job they kept her on.

Other sisters I know have worked in call centres where you conduct surveys over the phone. As others have suggested call centres are your best bet.

You could also try applying for stock control positions in larger grocery stores. As its not customer facing it may be suitable.

May Allah grant you khair.

Comment

I just found out that not only am I not allowed to wear the niqab at the store, but they want me to remove the jilbab. They want me to wear skirts and blouses because loose clothing is apparently a safety risk. I have to smile at customers, men included... I feel absolutely disgusted to take this job but my case worker keeps pushing me to. My stomach feels bad... I can't even wear semi-loose sleeves! She told me these are the requirements everyone else who's hiring will have. I don't know how to say no... I'm worried they'll think I'm trying to avoid working and won't allow me to stay past February. What do I do? I don't want to take this job at all.
      "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
      - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post
        I just found out that not only am I not allowed to wear the niqab at the store, but they want me to remove the jilbab. They want me to wear skirts and blouses because loose clothing is apparently a safety risk. I have to smile at customers, men included... I feel absolutely disgusted to take this job but my case worker keeps pushing me to. My stomach feels bad... I can't even wear semi-loose sleeves! She told me these are the requirements everyone else who's hiring will have. I don't know how to say no... I'm worried they'll think I'm trying to avoid working and won't allow me to stay past February. What do I do? I don't want to take this job at all.
        Don't take the job.

There is no good that can come through disobeying Allah (swt). Take this is as a test of your imaan.

As for not being able to stay in the shelter, don't worry about it. Allah is ar-Razzaq. He is the one in charge of your rizq, not these people.

Comment

Sister aren't there any Islamic organistations that could help you? It annoys me that so many Islamic organistations and then you have sisters in such situations.

If you were in tbe UK i would offer a sister in need a place to stay with me rather than have her forced to do haraam.

I hope Allah swt helps you and saves you from this and provides a way out for you. Ameen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post

Sister aren't there any Islamic organistations that could help you? It annoys me that so many Islamic organistations and then you have sisters in such situations.

If you were in tbe UK i would offer a sister in need a place to stay with me rather than have her forced to do haraam.

I hope Allah swt helps you and saves you from this and provides a way out for you. Ameen.
            Ameen.

The shelter I'm with is run by an Islamic organization.
            "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."

Comment

It's frustrating reading about a sister in a difficult situation and have limited options to help.

where's your male mahrams?
              What about Muslim sister's local to you.
              وَلَا تَكُونُوا كَالَّذِينَ نَسُوا اللَّهَ فَأَنسَاهُمْ أَنفُسَهُمْ

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid55 View Post
                It's frustrating reading about a sister in a difficult situation and have limited options to help.

None of them care about me like that.

They can't do much.

Comment

Not sure about your educational and skill background but there are plenty of freelancing sites like Truelancer, Upwork, Fiverr and Peopleperhour. You can also put training videos on Udemy or Skillshare showcasing your skills, which interested people can purchase

You may not earn much upfront but if you stick to one that works for your and keep working, few years down the line, you will have a good source of income, working from home
                  Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

Also if you can teach subjects, there are online websites for teachers who wish to teach remote students from the comfort of their home

Here also, it takes lot of hard work to build reputation and create a stream of regular income

https://www.techlearning.com/tl-advi...oring-teaching
                    Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

Ameen.

The shelter I'm with is run by an Islamic organization.
                      I would have thought them being an Islamic organistation, they would sympathise. Still allow you stay and understand with the niqab you are finding it difficult to get a job.

Comment

This is reality brother.

A bit off topic, but once this sister was standing outside some shops looking quite worried. I am hesitant to appraoch people at times as I wear niqab and get weird reactions even when I just say salam, but anyway after saying salam asked if she was ok. She said she needs her phone charged but asked inside the shops and they said they have not got a charger. She also asked a few people who were parked up but apparently no one had a phone charger. She said she can not understand why no one will let her use their charger for a bit.

She said she had to make an urgent call but phone is dead and number that she needs to call is stored on the phone. Anyway I said I live nearby you could come with me and charge your phone. So she came and charged her phone whilst I made tea etc for her. She thanked me so much and made loads of dua. Even took my phone number saying she will never be able to payback my kindess etc etc but would keep in touch. Guess what? I never heard from her after that but that does not matter.

When I mentioned to some friends they were like you are mad letting any woman into your house like that and also the woman is mad for going with you without even knowing you, you or she could have been anyone with bad intensions. I said well I trusted her and she trusted me because we both muslims.

The people inside the shop were muslim too and so were the people she asked in the cars. She even said soneone must of had a charger but just refused to let her use it. So we live in times where some people refuse to help others even when they can.

Last edited by Mintchocchip; 29-12-18, 05:36 PM.

Comment

This is reality brother.

A bit off topic, but once this sister was standing outside some shops looking quite worried. I am hesitant to appraoch people at times as I wear niqab and get weird reactions even when I just say salam, but anyway after saying salam asked if she was ok. She said she needs her phone charged but asked inside the shops and they said they have not got a charger. She also asked a few people who were parked up but apparently no one had a phone charger. She said she can not understand why no one will let her use their charger for a bit.

She said she had to make an urgent call but phone is dead and number that she needs to call is stored on the phone. Anyway I said I live nearby you could come with me and charge your phone. So she came and charged her phone whilst I made tea etc for her. She thanked me so much and made loads of dua. Even took my phone number saying she will never be able to payback my kindess etc etc but would keep in touch. Guess what? I never heard from her after that but that does not matter.

When I mentioned to some friends they were like you are mad letting any woman into your house like that and also the woman is mad for going with you without even knowing you, you or she could have been anyone with bad intensions. I said well I trusted her and she trusted me because we both muslims.

The people inside the shop were muslim too and so were the people she asked in the cars. She even said soneone must of had a charger but just refused to let her use it. So we live in times where some people refuse to help others even when they can.
                          i wouldnt have let her in my house
                          she could have been an imposter

some kuffar dress up in abaya/niqaab and do horrendous things

iv heard of a case close to my area
                          a gypsy dressed up in abaya and started stealing from a store
                          they also dress up as akhawaat and stand outside masjid and beg for money

but i would have got her to wait on another street then give her the charger

Comment

None of them care about me like that.

They can't do much.
                            Subahnallah, if the people responsible for you aren't doing their job then Allah will find a way out for you In sha Allah.

Why don't you go back and stay at home with your parents/grand parents

Comment

This is reality brother.

It's good to have trust in fellow Muslims but you also have to be very careful. We live in a strange world full off uncertainty.

At least have people at home and not be alone when you decide to bring a stranded Muslim in need of help.

Comment

Subahnallah, if the people responsible for you aren't doing their job then Allah will find a way out for you In sha Allah.

Why don't you go back and stay at home with your parents/grand parents
                                It's a lot more complicated than that. Thank you for trying to help, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X