Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work and the Niqab

Asalamu alaykum

Does anyone have any ideas on what kinds of jobs are available?
    "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
    - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Telemarketing, over the phone...
    Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
      Telemarketing, over the phone...
      Or any callcentre work, there are a few niqabi sisters at my workplace for example.

Office work in the public sector is also another good option.
      FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Nursery / Childcare

Comment

baby sitting

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post

Or any callcentre work, there are a few niqabi sisters at my workplace for example.

Office work in the public sector is also another good option.
            That's what I meant, telesales...

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
              Nursery / Childcare
              being around kids in a veil? no....

Comment

being around kids in a veil? no....
                Errr... you can take it off.

-_-

Comment

When parents collect their children sometimes they will also see you including men, but an islamic nursery may help with this. Unless you discuss if you could do something different around those times.

Comment

Finding work in child care is hard. I got a job offer from an Islamic nursery, but they have a reputation for not paying their employees. I just got a job offer as a cashier/helper in a halal store but I'll have to take off the niqab...

I know this is a totally different subject, but I stay in a transitional home and I have to get a job or else I won't be able to support myself by the end of my term here. I'm only guaranteed a place with them until Feburary. I'll be able to stay for 3 more months after Feburary, but this is if they think I deserve 3 more months. They'll evaluate how compliant I've been and decide based on that. If I keep rejecting jobs they give me, then I don't know how they'll view me.

I don't want a job where I'll have to take off the niqab and deal with men, but I don't have many choices, and the last thing I want is to be on the streets because I wasn't able to gain independence or because I kept rejecting jobs they thought are okay.

I'm pretty worried about freemixing and being alone with men, but am I excused in this situation? If I end up without a place to go then I'm in a much worse situation when it comes to men.
                    "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post
                      Asalamu alaykum

Does anyone have any ideas on what kinds of jobs are available?
                      There are many work-at-home customer service jobs on job search sites, such as Indeed. When searching, leave the location box empty and type remote in the job description box.

Here are some examples I just pulled up:

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...54c1&from=serp

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...0a17&from=serp

Last edited by Sister_2009; 21-12-18, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Finding work in child care is hard. I got a job offer from an Islamic nursery, but they have a reputation for not paying their employees. I just got a job offer as a cashier/helper in a halal store but I'll have to take off the niqab...

I know this is a totally different subject, but I stay in a transitional home and I have to get a job or else I won't be able to support myself by the end of my term here. I'm only guaranteed a place with them until Feburary. I'll be able to stay for 3 more months after Feburary, but this is if they think I deserve 3 more months. They'll evaluate how compliant I've been and decide based on that. If I keep rejecting jobs they give me, then I don't know how they'll view me.

I don't want a job where I'll have to take off the niqab and deal with men, but I don't have many choices, and the last thing I want is to be on the streets because I wasn't able to gain independence or because I kept rejecting jobs they thought are okay.

I'm pretty worried about freemixing and being alone with men, but am I excused in this situation? If I end up without a place to go then I'm in a much worse situation when it comes to men.
                        yes
                        a student of knowledge talked about this situation with me before

Comment

That's what I meant, telesales...
                          okay, but being in that industry, telesales is like the nasty end of it... not pleasant at all even if you get good at it, it's pretty soul destroying and very difficult to do without lying or being tricky with words.
                          regular call centre work is usually dull, but nothing like as bad as telesales.
                          FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post

There are many work-at-home customer service jobs on job search sites, such as Indeed. When searching, leave the location box empty and type remote in the job description box.

Here are some examples I just pulled up:

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...54c1&from=serp

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...0a17&from=serp

I can't work from home, unfortunately.

Comment

It's okay to work in a store even if men are there as long as you cover your head and awra cos' it's a public space

I know a local niqabi woman. She first worked at her father's business which was a care home for the elderly. Then she did those little catalogues door to door like avon and kleeneze. After that she got a telesales job at a local call centre. I don't know what became of her since then.

The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
                              X