Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is make up so popular?

Almost everyone wears it.
    Last edited by usernametaken; 09-12-18, 12:40 PM.

You get noticed for not wearing it.
    Last edited by usernametaken; 09-12-18, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Eat good. You will look good.

Comment

"And make sure you pray 5 times a day for that noor."

lol
        Last edited by usernametaken; 09-12-18, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I think it's just added pressure to conform to what is perceived to be "beautiful".

More women/girls need to be more confident in their appearance and not aspire to be like those they see in the media who are fake, photoshopped, airbrushed.

Comment

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeands...salon-wrinkles

Read this a couple of days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
              I think it's just added pressure to conform to what is perceived to be "beautiful".

More women/girls need to be more confident in their appearance and not aspire to be like those they see in the media who are fake, photoshopped, airbrushed.

There probably is some of that. But im just referring to stuff like minimal make up like slight mascara, lip gloss or something. It does uplift your mood. Many girls who definetely don't feel this pressure will also wear make up.

Comment

Wierd. A lot of these 'trends' are for money making schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by usernametaken View Post
                  There probably is some of that. But im just referring to stuff like minimal make up like slight mascara, lip gloss or something. It does uplift your mood. Many girls who definetely don't feel this pressure will also wear make up.
                  Why do the ones who don't feel the pressure, or any insecurities - wear it?

Comment

Wierd. A lot of these 'trends' are for money making schemes.
                    Revolting. Not to mention, there's someone out there, that collects that stuff.

:- |

Comment

Well either they feel the pressure to wear it...

or they like to wear it. Or both.

if everyone you know wears make up, hair extensions etc..and tell you to wear a bit of make up you start to think maybe you should.

but for me its just something i wish i could wear. Like some might have a favourite bag or coat its similar.

with that said i also acknowledge there are benefits in wearing it.

Comment

It's popular because majoriry of women have low self-worth.

Imagine being so scared of rejection that you refuse to show your real face in public, you cannot leave your house without painting on a fake one. Imagine being so scared of having your brain and personality being discovered as substandard that you squash yourself into clothes two sizes too small just so that the attention is painfully drawn away from your heart. Imagine feeling so worthless as a human that you have to try to sell yourself to the world, because unless you put on a show, they might not buy. Women will always and forever argue that by painting their faces they are just highlighting what they have been gifted naturally. Well, plucking your eyebrows next to nothing ain't highlighting, it's deleting. Putting two layers of foundation on your face, changing the color of your skin ain't highlighting, it's covering. Applying three coats of super-lash mascara (so that you can bat your eyelashes at every male you come across) is not highlighting, it's layering. Rubbing on lipstick four times darker than your actual lip color is not highlighting, it's drawing and framing. I'm not saying that women who wear makeup and revealing clothes are substandard, I'm just saying that they think they are. A make-up wearing, figure-revealing-clothes wearing woman who reads this will surely be insulted that I tell her she has no self-worth, especially since she thinks she's drop-dead gorgeous!!! The problem is she only thinks she's gorgeous when she's all made up, smashed in clothes not her size. Take all that I've listed above away and this same woman refuses to leave her house. If that's not low self-worth then I must not know what it is...Honestly!

There are two ways a woman can deal with her appearance. The first is to let herself be ruled by it, and the second way is to let the woman rule it. In the first instance, where the woman is ruled by her appearance, she cuts her sleep short for more time in the morning to put her makeup on before she goes to work. She purposely turns her skin cells cancerous for a 'healthy' looking tan, and lets her mental health be constantly under siege with questions about her self-worth and the stress of competing with other women--and men!

It's no wonder that thousands of women worldwide are bulimic or anorexic, or just obsessed about their looks. Oh no, my lips are too pale!--Too pale for what? ALLAH, Subhanwataala, makes no mistakes.

I have to lose five pounds or else! Or else the men who stare recreationally at me will be grossed out and then no one will think I'm pretty! Then how will I attract a man? --What? Use my mind and personality? Come on man, is that a joke?

In the second instance, where the woman rules her appearance, she puts her priorities in order and chooses much-needed sleep over the forty-five minutes it takes to get dolled-up in the morning. She does not put herself at risk by bleaching or tanning her skin, she doesn't give herself anaemia or anorexia trying to be visually pleasing to the thousands of men who see her every day and don't give a damn--unless she happens to be putting up a "good" show ... which she isn't. She wakes up one hour before work, total, and gets dressed, eats breakfast, and leaves. She eats and exercises to maintain her well-being and has a healthy attitude towards food and also towards herself as an intelligent human. She knows that she has a right to be thought of as wonderful no matter what she looks like on the outside, and she's in conscious rebellion against the eye-candy culture of the 'modern' civilization.

In a civilized culture such as Islam, the facade of unnatural beauty is seen as a lie, and natural beauty is seen as a private affair. Emphasis is placed not on external beauty, but instead on internal beauty of which all women have equal potential. All men are created equal, why not, therefore, all women? Where unnatural beauty is caked on, rubbed in, or drawn on, natural beauty is cultured by nobility of character, mercy, honesty, forgiveness, compassion, intelligence and other such Islamically recommended traits in Muslims of both genders.

Comment

Well either they feel the pressure to wear it...

or they like to wear it. Or both.

if everyone you know wears make up, hair extensions etc..and tell you to wear a bit of make up you start to think maybe you should.

but for me its just something i wish i could wear. Like some might have a favourite bag or coat its similar.

with that said i also acknowledge there are benefits in wearing it.
                          But you can wear it.

At home.

Be as bold as you want.

I like the red lipsticks which are the trend now. No one wears lip gloss any more lol. Wasn't that the early 00s magic?

Comment

But you can wear it.

At home.

Be as bold as you want.

I like the red lipsticks which are the trend now. No one wears lip gloss any more lol. Wasn't that the early 00s magic?
                            I was just saying anything stereotypical lol. Plus lip glosses tend to be more 'toned down' than lipsticks. But i get what you mean.

Comment

Yknow if you guys get a chance there's a really really interesting paper on objectification theory. Here's a snippet ...

To explain the consequences for women living in sexually objectifying cultures, in 1997, social psychologists Barbara Fredrickson and Tomi-Ann Roberts offered objectification theory. They argued that men routinely objectify women and that this objectification occurs in many forms, including sexual evaluation. One subtle form of sexual evaluation is the visual inspection of the female body (the objectifying gaze). Objectifying gaze between men and women is ubiquitous and occurs in real time in social encounters, in the visual media when social encounters are depicted, and in visual media that highlight bodies and body parts and align viewers with an implicit objectifying point of view.
                              According to the theory, the objectifying treatment of women and girls results in them internalizing an outsider’s perspective and viewing themselves as objects to be looked at and evaluated primarily for their physical attributes. Internalizing an outsider’s perspective is referred to as self-objectification. Self-objectification can result in women and girls developing a specific type of self-consciousness characterized by habitual appearance monitoring. The incessant monitoring of one’s appearance can interfere with other cognitive processes as well as have a detrimental impact on mental health.

Self-objectification is also linked to other-objectification. In 2005 social psychologist Peter Strelan and psychologist Duane Hargreaves reasoned that people who self-objectify pay considerable attention to their appearance, and therefore are likely to also pay substantial attention to the appearance of others. Furthermore, they reasoned that because women are the primary targets of objectification, women are likely to believe that to be valued they must look good. Thus, women who are self-objectifiers, more so than men, should objectify others and view other human beings as objects to be evaluated on the basis of appearance. Conducting research to test their reasoning, the authors surveyed undergraduates and found that high levels of self-objectification in both men and women were associated with high levels of other-objectification. This relationship was stronger for women than for men.
                              There's studies and data to back assertions but one thing they claim is that makeup is a result of continued self objectification for the most part. So women will claim its for themselves or it makes them feel good, but studies show these very women don't actually have good relationships with their bodies and it doesn't really make them feel better

In contrast, older women past child bearing ages actually felt better. Why? Because they say they perhaps went beyond self objectification to recognizing that their body has worth for its functional elements rather than its attractive elements.

So they encourage to teach your daughters, not by saying youre beautiful! Or you look so good today when they dress up. But by praising their body's functions and making that the focus, getting them active, letting them love their strength, their capabilities, and praising their initiative. I thought it had several good points.

Comment

Working...
                              X