How can I be ‘more British’?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I be ‘more British’?

I do not understand British culture and I am therefore struggling to fit in. People often ask me whether I just hopped off a boat and I do not understand what they mean by this. ?:-|

I want to be British. What things can I do to fit in and hide my ethnic identity?
    I have stopped eating curry for breakfast for one thing, and I have also started to have a Sunday roast, but I do not feel these little acts are enough.

I have been living in Britain for nearly 3 years now but I am still struggling to find my way here and mix with the people.

Comment

You are not suppose to fit in to the culture of the kuffar. If you are Muslim then have some wala wal bara.
      The Prophet s.a.a.w warned when he said: "You will surely follow the ways of those who came before you, in exactly the same fashion, to the point were they to enter the hole of a lizard, you too would enter it." It was asked of him, "O Messenger of Allah s.a.a.w., do you mean the Jews and Christians?" He replied, "Who else?" (Bukhari and Muslim)

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post
        I do not understand British culture and I am therefore struggling to fit in. People often ask me whether I just hopped off a boat and I do not understand what they mean by this. ?:-|

I want to be British. What things can I do to fit in and hide my ethnic identity?
        I have stopped eating curry for breakfast for one thing, and I have also started to have a Sunday roast, but I do not feel these little acts are enough.
        Watch a lot of Jaime Oliver and mimic what he does, including becoming a celebrity chef.
        مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
        It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
        Surah al-Baqarah
        [2:245]

.:.
        .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
        Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post

Watch a lot of Jaime Oliver and mimic what he does, including becoming a celebrity chef.
          I have heard of that guy. Interesting... I might have to watch his show then.

So I need to learn to cook and that will make me British?

Comment

I have heard of that guy. Interesting... I might have to watch his show then.

So I need to learn to cook and that will make me British?
            Not just cook, but cook well. Start on youtube and if you've got that 'je ne sais quoi' then he'll invite you on his channel and you're in. I suppose that would be the easiest way to get recognition. This might get you known enough to have Gordon Ramsey invited to your channel as well. Two British blokes cooking it up with another British guy. Sounds like fun, innit? If you become famous, then you could be on Celebrity Big Brother and show how British you are to the rest of your countrymen. I've never watched that show, but it seems like a lot of British people like it so..Then you can come out with a line of spices or sauces inspired by your Pakistani routes but mixed in with a British flair. You can call it "Lota" since it will be spicy and get people to use the bathroom. It can be an inside joke, but it also has to be tasty so you'll need to start figuring this out now before someone steals this name.

Eventually, you'll be so big that you can come out with a restaurant that mixes Pakistani and British cuisine. Something like, curry fish and chips. When people come to interview you, you'll say things like, "Oy," "yea" and like. And then you can be a judge for a reality show about cooking, where you can question why someone added sage in their salad but didn't do anything with their meats.

Or you could just go the Mr. Bean route and dress up like him. You'll need a teddy bear though and mumble most of the time, but he's very British and well loved so that might work. You can call yourself the Brown Mr. Bean and that could be your concept when you eventually get into Celebrity Big Brother. If you're good a football, then you could join team England and help them fail at the next World Cup. Failing at football is a very British thing, so you'll be showing your countrymen just how British you are with that.

Or...you could get a paper that says you're a British citizen. That would be the legal way, but it's not as fun as the ones I mentioned above.

PSA: I'm not British, but I'm assuming that this is the way to go about it. British folk on ummah, I feel in my heart that this is right, but correct me if I'm wrong.
            مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
            Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Pippin, 'innit' is very informal and I think it originates from East London (someone can correct me)

reminds of the uncles who try to fit in and use that word

I dislike it, there are different dialects in the UK and not everyone sounds like Jamie, he is from Essex which has a different accent to those from the city

Even then, within london there's different accents
              'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Nah mate nah

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post
                  You are not suppose to fit in to the culture of the kuffar. If you are Muslim then have some wala wal bara.
                  True

I can't tell whether this thread is serious or not
                  I thought it was a joke with a hidden message but if I offended OP I'm very sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                    Pippin, 'innit' is very informal and I think it originates from East London (someone can correct me)

reminds of the uncles who try to fit in and use that word

I dislike it, there are different dialects in the UK and not everyone sounds like Jamie, he is from Essex which has a different accent to those from the city

Even then, within london there's different accents
                    Innit is something Morose use to say often, so I thought if he said it more than he does now he'd be seen as British.

But if accents and words are out of the question, then football is the only thing left. You don't need to talk in order to lose.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

People often ask me whether I just hopped off a boat and I do not understand what they mean by this. ?:-|
                      Are you serious? Your English is way too good and you don't troll like a "Fob". How heavy is your accent?

I want to be British
                      You can only truly be British if your ancestry is British. We are all immigrants and/or refugees in a foreign land.

What things can I do to fit in and hide my ethnic identity?
                      We don't drink alcohol, fornicate, eat Haram or listen to music, which separates us from the lifestyle of the masses. I'm not sure if any of us can say we 'fit in'.

I don't think you need to hide your ethnic identity, but you might want to be conscious of British/Western customs and sensitivities. For example, when you're in a non-Muslim restaurant, it'll be more appropriate to eat the rice with a spoon instead of your hands.

Having curry for breakfast is hardcore. Forget about culture, the most important thing is looking out for your health. Try cereal, eggs, cream cheese bagels, etc.

Do you have any white British 'friends'? Have you ever been to their houses and met their families? How diverse are your real life friends and acquaintances?

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

Are you serious? Your English is way too good and you don't troll like a "Fob". How heavy is your accent?

You can only truly be British if your ancestry is British. We are all immigrants and/or refugees in a foreign land.

We don't drink alcohol, fornicate, eat Haram or listen to music, which separates us from the lifestyle of the masses. I'm not sure if any of us can say we 'fit in'.

I don't think you need to hide your ethnic identity, but you might want to be conscious of British/Western customs and sensitivities. For example, when you're in a non-Muslim restaurant, it'll be more appropriate to eat the rice with a spoon instead of your hands.

Having curry for breakfast is hardcore. Forget about culture, the most important thing is looking out for your health. Try cereal, eggs, cream cheese bagels, etc.

Do you have any white British 'friends'? Have you ever been to their houses and met their families? How diverse are your real life friends and acquaintances?
                        why would you take kuffar as friends

Allah SWT said:

يٰٓأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا لَا تَتَّخِذُوا الْيَهُودَ وَالنَّصٰرٰىٓ أَوْلِيَآءَ ۘ بَعْضُهُمْ أَوْلِيَآءُ بَعْضٍ ۚ وَمَنْ يَتَوَلَّهُمْ مِّنْكُمْ فَإِنَّهُۥ مِنْهُمْ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَهْدِى الْقَوْمَ الظّٰلِمِينَ
                        "O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people."
                        (QS. Al-Maaida 5: Verse 51)

* Via Qur'an English http://quran-en.com

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

why would you take kuffar as friends

Allah SWT said:

يٰٓأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا لَا تَتَّخِذُوا الْيَهُودَ وَالنَّصٰرٰىٓ أَوْلِيَآءَ ۘ بَعْضُهُمْ أَوْلِيَآءُ بَعْضٍ ۚ وَمَنْ يَتَوَلَّهُمْ مِّنْكُمْ فَإِنَّهُۥ مِنْهُمْ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَهْدِى الْقَوْمَ الظّٰلِمِينَ
                          "O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people."
                          (QS. Al-Maaida 5: Verse 51)

* Via Qur'an English http://quran-en.com
                          Good point. I tried highlighting 'friends' in that post for the sake of the reader. The relationship should be in accordance with Islam, inshaAllah.

Comment

The most british thing I can think of would be to invade and colonize india
                            Imagine sleeping without praying isha and then waking up in your grave- bilal Phillips

Comment

Fly the Union Jack well and truly high on your top floor window. Just show 'em that you take serious British-ness and that you bleed red, white and blue :)
                              وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X