Hijab at the airport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hijab at the airport

Assalamu alaykum. Id like to know if any sisters could share their experiences with wearing hijab at airports? Im still preparing myself mentally to start wearing the hijab soon in shaa Allah. However in my preparations I seem to have tons of questions hehe... So first of all Id like to know if your hijab pins ever have caused you problems when passing the security check/metal detector? And what are the best hijab colour to wear on the passport? I have once seen a passport photo of a woman wearing a white hijab, but where the hijab became a part of the background because of the colour. Id also like to know if you have ever tried to be told to take off your hijab, eventually in another room? I know that these questions may be a bit silly, but I have been wondering about it for quite some time now. :-)

Wa alaykum salaam!

Great questions, not silly at all.

Metal pins for me have never gone off. I looked this up once but only certain types of metals ring and if they do they just swipe you over and send you on your way.

Only time I ever got physically pat down was because I decided I wanted to bring sour patch kids and it went off in the machine so they had to test it for drugs. Apparently it's the sugar. May have been an excuse and it's profiling, who knows. But I got pat down, didn't remove hijab though, they just run a hand down your neck. Did have to pull down niqaab.

I wore black on passport. Can't go wrong there lol.

Overall I've traveled a lot but alhamdulillah never faced issues really. Just be confident and friendly as possible, give into reasonable requests even if you might feel they're picking on you. Don't anticipate problems but while in America I always save the info to CAIR or other orgs that support Muslims with lawyers etc.

Comment

a while back in the news it showed a hijabi women was interrogated when she went into usa and shes a us citizen
      they strip searched her
      and it was even more embarressing for her due to her having female hygiene products

Comment

Wa alaykum assalam sis. I wore a black hijab on my passport pic. Any color is fine, as long as it's not the exact same color as the background. Hijab is so mainstream. There is nothing to be worried about sis. I've traveled with niqab several times and I've never faced any problems.
        رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Hijab is fine no one will ask you to take it off. American airports can be extreme though from what i've heard.
          شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
          فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
          وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
          ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Originally posted by irorafae View Post
            Assalamu alaykum. Id like to know if any sisters could share their experiences with wearing hijab at airports? Im still preparing myself mentally to start wearing the hijab soon in shaa Allah. However in my preparations I seem to have tons of questions hehe... So first of all Id like to know if your hijab pins ever have caused you problems when passing the security check/metal detector? And what are the best hijab colour to wear on the passport? I have once seen a passport photo of a woman wearing a white hijab, but where the hijab became a part of the background because of the colour. Id also like to know if you have ever tried to be told to take off your hijab, eventually in another room? I know that these questions may be a bit silly, but I have been wondering about it for quite some time now. :-)
            It might depend on the location of the airport, since some staff are more polite than others. My experience is in US and Asia. I never experienced any problems. I dont go through the scanner, though, and arrive early enough to opt for a pat-down. Reason being, the scanners put off radiation, even though they say its only a small amount and is safe (any amount is too much, in my opinion). Ive traveled with a cat, too, and no issues there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
              Hijab is fine no one will ask you to take it off. American airports can be extreme though from what i've heard.
              they are

they stop u and hold u just for having a muslim name

Comment

Working...
              X