Why are clothes so overpriced?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are clothes so overpriced?

I was at the shopping centre, pair of jeans £85, coat £120...

Yet it states on the labels, ''made in Turkey'', ''made in Bangladesh''

We know these workers get paid pittance...
    8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
    2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
    3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
    4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
    5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
    6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
    7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
    8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

You can get coats and jeans cheaper than that.

Which shop did you go to? Shop around and look online too.

Last edited by Mintchocchip; 01-11-18, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I noticed this as well.

I always break the bank when I need new clothes.

Comment

where did you go shopping?

Comment

So dam annoying!
          They're all rubbish quality and never worth the price tag.

Comment

It's the mark up, meaning that the shop is making a bigger profit by charging so much. You should probably shop elsewhere. I'm sure there are cheaper brands that are just as good quality, you just have to look for them (try asos online). Btw £120 is not that unusual for a good quality coat. I bought my winter coat for around that much over 20 years ago- it's still in great condition and I still wear it when I go out. The fact that it's lasted so well means it was value for money in the long run (works out at less than £6 a year) and worth it as I don't feel cold when I wear it in the snow and frost. Sometimes I think it's old and maybe time for a new one but I've looked at coats in the shops and they just don't measure up so not yet found one worthy of replacing it.

Some of you may remember there was a massive fire at a clothing factory in Bangladesh about 3 years ago that made clothes for Primark. What annoyed me was that the news channels and the outrage in the aftermath consisted of people saying "they paid the price for us to get cheap clothes" and people were calling for a boycott of primark. It annoyed me because it's not about cheap clothes as the expensive brands treat their factory workers just as badly, but just make a far higher profit out of it by adding a coveted label. Boycotting primark would've done nothing to change the industry practices and lack of safety standards and in the past, boycotts have led to job losses in poor countries which led to young girls ending up in prostitution cos' it's not like they have other great alternative prospects waiting for them.

Goes to show why we need Islamic rule so much. It's the opposite of this evil of Capitalism that brought about this economic servitude system of international exploitation under the guise of "free trade".
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Here in the states, I do my shopping at discount stores such as Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory and TJ Max. They have many of the same brands as the shopping malls do at a much lower price. The difficulty is in having to look at each and every thing they have in order to find what you like. As for the shopping malls, I go at the end of the season to purchase things at Clearance prices. So, if I need a new coat, I will go in the beginning of Spring to get a deal.

It doesn't cost them much to make the clothes, it's just as other posters have stated, pure greed. It just means we have to become more savvy shoppers.

Comment

^Yes that's what I was alluding to as well. The discount stores and also the sales and clearance stuff at end of season.

Oh that reminds me Magic, some stores actually hike up the prices of things at certain times of year partly because they know they will be people spending more for Christmas/holiday season and partly because it then justifies them saying something is discounted in the sales when there actually isn't much of a reduction. For example a toaster that normally costs £20 for most of the year will be hiked up to £25-30 for a number of weeks, then reduced back to £20 as a sale price and that encourages people to buy it who wouldn't have bothered to if they hadn't seen a sale label. Don't get me wrong, a lot of sales do contain real reductions and clearance prices but some artificially inflate and fluctuate prices as a bit of a trick.

If you're really into shopping, then I highly recommend the channel 4 series "Supershoppers" as they let you in on a lot of the trickery of false promotions etc- like one time they showed how supermarket standard products (like pasta, ketchup and pasta sauce) and the "value range" were often the exact same product with the exact same ingredients but being sold at two different prices.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

primark is brilliant and excellent value for money, try it out...

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post
                    primark is brilliant and excellent value for money, try it out...
                    I can't. I can't think somebody got paid 2 pence to make it. I'd feel sick wearing it.
                    8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
                    2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
                    3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
                    4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
                    5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
                    6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
                    7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
                    8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post

I can't. I can't think somebody got paid 2 pence to make it. I'd feel sick wearing it.
                      to be honest i dont think about it

most shops are getting clothes made by people from third world countries, its just the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

You can buy cheaper clothes

Trousers for £25 from matalan and tops within that range, you could try next, they have the ethical' promise

Going shopping is a miserable experience. I agree that most of these clothing have a rip off price tag.
                        they are so darn ugly too, at least be attractive

Obviously nothing modest in sight and when you see a long dress or skirt there has to be a tarty cut to it

Ok, I understand fashion but for people that want to clothes themselves for comfort and not fashion it's quite unfair they don't cater for all (pretty sure non muslims out there who don't like showing skin either)

Try new look men for coats
                        'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

I hate shopping period.....
                          occasionally like shoes a pair or two

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antê” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

It's not about that where it's has been made.
                            You are paying the price of brand too.

Comment

I buy stuff for a quater of that
                              ''If the bedouins and city dwellers were to fight between themselves until they wipe each other out, it will surely be less significant than them appointing a taghoot in the land which rules by that which is against the Shari'ah of Islaam which Allah sent his Messenger ﷺ with'' - Sheikh Sulayman bin Sahmaan

Comment

Working...
                              X