Why are clothes so overpriced?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic.
    started a topic Why are clothes so overpriced?

Why are clothes so overpriced?

I was at the shopping centre, pair of jeans £85, coat £120...

Yet it states on the labels, ''made in Turkey'', ''made in Bangladesh''

We know these workers get paid pittance...

• Sister_2009
    replied
    Originally posted by Magic. View Post

The clothing made in these countries is expensive because people are willing to pay those prices. Iím assuming they are more name-brand types youíre looking at.

Making clothing is not an easy task, in general; it can be time consuming, and fabric isnít generally cheap. Beyond that, itís very hard on your neck and shoulders.

I can understand why clothing made in US or UK, for example, is higher priced because wages are higher and, as I said, itís time consuming and fabric isnít cheap.

The bottom line is designers at getting high prices for clothes made in sweatshops because people buy it. There is a documentary on Netflix called The True Cost. It is about sweatshops in Bangladesh and the safety issues there as well as greed of designers.

Leave a comment:

• Morose
    replied
    Food is overpriced. Everything costs so much.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    I've seen abayas with some lace embroidery costing £55
    that's too expensive for me

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by niqaabi_nusrat View Post
    Where I am, you can buy plain, good quality Islamic clothing for very reasonable prices, a fraction of the cost of western fashions.
    depends what is reasonably priced for you
    to others it might be expensive

Leave a comment:

• niqaabi_nusrat
    replied
    Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

Where do you live sis and do they sell online? salaam
    I live in London. There are many shops and markets here selling Islamic clothes. I'm not that keen buying online as I have had a few problems with sizing and quality.

Leave a comment:

• LailaTheMuslim
    replied
    Originally posted by niqaabi_nusrat View Post
    Where I am, you can buy plain, good quality Islamic clothing for very reasonable prices, a fraction of the cost of western fashions.
    Where do you live sis and do they sell online? salaam

Leave a comment:

• niqaabi_nusrat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shay5
    replied
    Originally posted by Magic. View Post

The difference is the quality of the material, not the country it is produced in.

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    I'm like that too. I have a very nice black handbag that I bought over 20 years ago and I still use it to this day. It only cost me about £7 and it doesn't look old or out of style at all- it's still in great condition. I don't have many handbags (just a couple that were given to me as gifts and a couple that I made and embroidered myself) and don't feel the need to buy more cos' the ones I have are sufficient and black goes with everything. When I go out I always wear black footwear and usually wear a black headscarf so regardless of the colour of my abaya or anything else, the black handbag and black coat (which I've also had for over 20 years) go with everything. I'm a retailer's worst nightmare lol.

Originally posted by Faith reloaded View Post

True for some but that isnt something i can relate with

ive never really been like that tbh. I dont really care about having nice things or spending money

For example i still use a bag that i bought like 10 years ago. It lasted me through secondary school, college and university.

Leave a comment:

• Simply_Logical
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzybee View Post

You take her to the big malls bro ,cos there is always the mens area to ....catch up on some sleep
    yea ur right

Leave a comment:

• Simply_Logical
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzybee View Post

You take her to the big malls bro ,cos there is always the mens area to ....catch up on some sleep
    yea i know lol

Leave a comment:

• Faith reloaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Oakenshield View Post
    Most clothes shopping is not done out of necessity but some ridiculous notion of self satisfaction. For these people price is of secondary importance..get it all on credit for that temporary feel good fix
    True for some but that isnt something i can relate with

ive never really been like that tbh. I dont really care about having nice things or spending money

For example i still use a bag that i bought like 10 years ago. It lasted me through secondary school, college and university.

Leave a comment:

• Faith reloaded
    replied
    Buy clothes from ebay

it cheap there

superdry coat for £20 loool when itís official price is £75

Leave a comment:

• muzzybee
    replied
    Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

i also hate shopping especially when my mrs makes me go with her

Leave a comment:

Working...
X